Christmas Trees Are Offensive

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Dec 4, 2010.

1. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Chase orders Southlake bank to remove Christmas tree | Northeast Tarrant | News from For...

when is this shit going to stop. it's fucking Christmas, it's an AMERICAN tradition. i could care less when I walk into a deli and there's a menorah, or a chinese shop keeper has her buddha shrine lit up and w/ a few oranges.

guess this will stop when there really is no American traditions, and our culture is so sterile and afraid of being anything...

In God We Trust... :p

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It's Chase what do you expect? It's unbelievable to me really. Our family traditionally celebrated Hanukkah but when my half brother was born and raised christian we started celebrating both holidays. In fact I still do. I love a beautiful christmas tree during the holidays in my home I think it represents the season.

I hope Rockefeller Center never adheres to this PCBS!

Don't Miss Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Tonight | The Wire | SheKnows.com Blog

3. B_TonyK8483

B_TonyK8483 New Member

In America we have this concept called freedom of religion. It allows everybody within reason to celebrate their religious beliefs. One group can celebrate their religious beliefs, while another group can celebrate theirs, and those who are not religious do not have to celebrate at all.

For some reason, this has been skewed over the years to "small or unpopular religions can celebrate their beliefs, but big religions cannot", and that's fundamentally wrong. Everybody has the right to celebrate their beliefs. A bank is not a government institution, therefore there is no problem with them placing a christmas tree up on their property.

4. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Ahhh Christmas....The great AMERICAN tradition....

5. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

A business decided that it didn't want to put up a Christmas tree. And this is a problem because of...?

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

You haven't seen some of the trees I've seen.

7. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Who the hell are these 'some people' who find xmas trees offensive? How sad would you have to be?
    What a scrooge.

8. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's nothing.
    The islamic community protested to have all CHRISTmas decorations removed from the Southfield area a few years ago...

And... Get this.. Some dipshit that moved to Frankenmuth (Home of Bronners CHISTmas wonderland) and a large catholic community went to city hall demanding that all crosses be removed from frankenmuth.
    This nutjob lost miserably.

They need to tell these people to get screwed as people are free to express their choice in religion, without persecution.
    That's the point of living in the U.S.A. The great melting pot. If you dont like it, you don't have to look at it.

(But... even though I am a christmas decoration freak, Christmas has become a huge commercial holiday, and people have lost the true meaning of CHRISTmas - the birth of Christ)

9. AquaEyes11010

AquaEyes11010 Active Member

Albums:
    The holiday, like most other christian holidays, is celebrated on a day that was previously used for non-christian beliefs. Jesus was not born on December 25. Decorating evergreen trees has nothing to do with christianity. Exchanging presents wasn't started for a few hundred years into the religion. If you want to believe that Christmas has become a huge commercial holiday, it's been evolving that way for centuries. But, then again, much of christianity's spread was due to being able to be "sold" to different cultures by simply morphing the holidays and celebrations from pre-christian beliefs into those that best fit into christian fable. The different ways Christmas is celebrated around the world are older than the religion itself.

:)

10. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I like a tree so much I have it up year round. I don't even think I am religious. So I am biased FOR the tree. So long as it doesn't have any religious symbols on it...as the tree itself is not religious.

#10 CUBE, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  11. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    As an atheist, I would be offended by a nativity scene in my bank (or funded by public money), but a Yule tree is a druidic symbol and since hardly anyone practises druidism any more it's not an issue. I wonder how they would react to a Wicker Man?

(But all this stuff about Christmas being AMURRican is just funny.)

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Yep. :cool:

13. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Some people just have their heads way too far up their own asses.

14. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    They're deeply offensive. Especially when they've got their dangling baubles on show. :p

15. superbot

Gold Member

Simple solution,put up 20 (REAL) Christmas trees and piss off the enviromentalists to boot!!

#15 superbot, Dec 5, 2010
  16. maxcok

Gold Member

From reading the article it sounds to me like it might have less to do with the fact it was a Christmas tree,
    and more to do with it not being "corporate approved". Just sayin.

Greg Hassell, a JPMorgan Chase spokesman, said that the company's policy isn't anti-Christmas. "People wish their customers merry Christmas when it's appropriate," he said. However, to ensure that everyone who visits Chase branches feels welcome and comfortable, the bank's policy is to use only decorations supplied by the company. "Normally they're small, not intrusive. I'm not sure this [Morales'] Christmas tree was intrusive. That's not really the issue here. It isn't a company-supplied decoration."

#16 maxcok, Dec 5, 2010
  17. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I reread it too! I'm going to pop over to the Chase branch in my neighborhood in a bit and see what they have on display for the holidays.

18. B_bradwith5

B_bradwith5 New Member

I guess a corporation has the right to determine what it will or will not do unless you like the idea of the government getting into a corporations' business and telling them how they will or will not conduct themselves. Love how conservatives HATE government intrusion until the intrusion is something they see benefiting them! LOL

19. lpsg17

Gold Member

I could not agree more. It will stop when the 91% of people who celebrate Christmas find it offensive that Chase ordered the tree to be removed and move their money somewhere else because of it

20. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are no christian symbols in a tree's decoration, the nearest you get is the "angel" on top of the tree which most people call a fairy.

Draft saved Draft deleted