Christmas!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Imported, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Ok, is it me or do Christmas commercials and related events start earlier and earlier than in years past? I saw my frist Christmas commercial October 27... before Halloween.  And my grandmother always comments how we in the US skip Thanksgiving completely. Is there really a too early to start the Christmas season?  I played some Christmas music today... trying to cool myself down since it was too humid and hot out for the last few days here.

2. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

Santa Clauses (in chocholate) are already being sold here ( = Cluj-Napoca, Roum.)... what a rush... I realised I was humming, some days ago, Stille Nacht... snow already covers the mountains surrounding Cluj... 2003 is ending...

3. Imported

Gold Member

tracksuitboy: It's no different in the UK either! We've been getting commercials on TV for the last three weeks and no doubt Christmas musak will be playing the shops soon!

Anyone who thinks about Christmas before December should be shot :)!

4. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: I was in a store the other day and heard Christmas music. The Christmas decorations are starting to be put up in the stores while Halloween candy is being sold.
    I thought it was just an American thing, but I guess it is retailers world-wide....they want to capture a longer holiday retail season, I guess. It just seems to be too early for Christmas music, I mean, it's not even Advent (for those who follow the Liturgical calendar), but for some reason, Christmas music doesn't seem appropriate until at least Thanksgiving (in the United States.)

5. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: My boss told me today, "I'm going out to do some Christmas shopping." Seemed weird because it's 75 degrees outside. I'm a last minute shopper . . . I'm the dude you see running through the aisles of the dollar store at 11:00 pm on December 24th.

6. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: My mom is a Christmas FREAK! She's the women you see with a shopping cart loaded down with all kinds of stupid and worthless decorations. Made christmas fun as hell when I was 6 but when your 22 your not always as excited to put on reindeer antlers to have the annual christmas photo.

7. B_Jeremy

B_Jeremy New Member

[quote author=aj2181 link=board=meetgreet;num=1068189250;start=0#5 date=11/07/03 at 13:24:06]My mom is a Christmas FREAK! She's the women you see with a shopping cart loaded down with all kinds of stupid and worthless decorations. Made christmas fun as hell when I was 6 but when your 22 your not always as excited to put on reindeer antlers to have the annual christmas photo.[/quote]

:D She needs to realize you already have one big antler all year around! no more is needed! :D

8. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: :D :D :D :D

Try telling her that LOL

9. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: You'd make an awfully big reindeer anyway! :D

Monstro - I'm with you - although now that I KNOW you're getting mine at the dollar store....

*slams car door drives off to Dollar Tree*

10. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed and shit a brick over how fast it can happen. I work in retail, and this year I saw the Christmas decorations go up three days before Halloween. Seems like there was a mix of tinsle with the pumpkins :D

11. Imported

Gold Member

slipnslide: I work for a MAJOR dept. store and we started receiving Xmas merchandise around the middle of Sept. Our Xmas set-up had to be completed by Oct 15th. To top that off it was still 98 degrees outside.

12. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: I dont get bothered by all the christmas junk being out earlier than it should be.......i always hated how advertising for school supplies always started the day after the fourth of July......its like why the hell can't you let us enjoy whats left ???

13. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I used to manage a Dollar Tree in a local mall here. At the beginning of Christmas season I found a box in storage that contained the store's decorations: pitiful. So I went nuts decorating the store with merchandise for sale to the public with the idea that the customer would like it and buy it from the shelf. When I got done, the inside of the store looked like one of the Grinch's worst nightmares. I even had the clerks wearing Santa hats. :D

My district manager nearly had a heart attack. He asked me if I realized that each decoration that I had used would have cost the customer $1 and it was a sale lost because I had opened the package (I must have 'ruined' over $200 worth of items by using them to decorate the store).

I simply took him to the front of the store and pointed to the ritzy women's boutique across the mall from us. They had a huge wreath displayed in their front window that must have cost $1000. They had a couple of adult customers. My store, on the other hand, was full of mommies and their wide-eyed kids, stuffing their shopping baskets full of Christmas items.

We had record Christmas sales that year and had fun doing it.

Pecker

I don't know which was worse, finding out that there is no Santa Claus or discovering that M&M's actually do melt in your hand.

14. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: [quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1068189250;start=0#12 date=11/08/03 at 06:27:16]I used to manage a Dollar Tree in a local mall here.  At the beginning of Christmas season I found a box in storage that contained the store's decorations:  pitiful.  So I went nuts decorating the store with merchandise for sale to the public with the idea that the customer would like it and buy it from the shelf.  When I got done, the inside of the store looked like one of the Grinch's worst nightmares.  I even had the clerks wearing Santa hats.  :D

My district manager nearly had a heart attack.  He asked me if I realized that each decoration that I had used would have cost the customer $1 and it was a sale lost because I had opened the package (I must have 'ruined' over $200 worth of items by using them to decorate the store).

I simply took him to the front of the store and pointed to the ritzy women's boutique across the mall from us.  They had a huge wreath displayed in their front window that must have cost $1000.  They had a couple of adult customers.  My store, on the other hand, was full of mommies and their wide-eyed kids, stuffing their shopping baskets full of Christmas items.  

We had record Christmas sales that year and had fun doing it.

Pecker

I don't know which was worse, finding out that there is no Santa Claus or discovering that M&M's actually do melt in your hand.[/quote]

Hell thats marketing genious pecker.

15. Imported

Gold Member

headbang8: [quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1068189250;start=0#12 date=11/08/03 at 06:27:16] He asked me if I realized that each decoration that I had used would have cost the customer $1 and it was a sale lost because I had opened the package (I must have 'ruined' over $200 worth of items by using them to decorate the store). I simply took him to the front of the store and pointed to the ritzy women's boutique across the mall from us.  They had a huge wreath displayed in their front window that must have cost $1000.  They had a couple of adult customers.  My store, on the other hand, was full of mommies and their wide-eyed kids, stuffing their shopping baskets full of Christmas items.  We had record Christmas sales that year and had fun doing it.[/quote]

If only I could so effectively convince my fancy-schmantsy multinational clients to invest in marketing. Wise, as always, Pecker.

hb8

16. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: Here in NYC not only are the Xmas decorations up but the Radio City Music Hall Xmas show opened this past week.
    Ah...can't they wait until a little later. :D

17. Imported

Gold Member

ish789: ive seen a christmas commerical in april....

18. B_Jeremy

B_Jeremy New Member

I have, when they advertise for Christmas in July!! :D

19. Imported

Gold Member

ish789: omg the most annoying christmas commercial every year.... * BUY OUR STUFF, DISCOUNT, 50 % off EVERYTHING!!!* lol

20. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: Commercials where they use carols for the music and make up their own stupid lyrics...those are so annoying.

What about shopping mall Santas? Anyone have a good story about that?

I puked on one when I was 4. He said "Oh shit!" I slid off his lap and hit the floor. I don't remember that ...thats what i was told.

Draft saved Draft deleted