Christopher Buckley resigns at the National Review

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Christopher Buckley is a Buckley, but he is also his own man.

He just happens to believe that Barack Obama is the best man for the job of the president of the United States.

Christopher's left leaning is not a secret to the readers of the National Review. He decided to write a fateful post on ol' Tina Brown's blog The Daily Beast on the tenth of this month detailing the reasons that he is voting for Barack Obama. You can read his blog post
here

He writes in his latest blog in The Daily Beast, "I seem to have picked an apt title for my Daily Beast column, or blog, or whatever it’s called: “What Fresh Hell.” My last posting (if that’s what it’s called) in which I endorsed Obama, has brought about a very heaping helping of fresh hell. In fact, I think it could accurately be called a tsunami."

"As for the mail flooding into National Review Online—that’s been running about, oh, 700-to-1 against. In fact, the only thing the Right can’t quite decide is whether I should be boiled in oil or just put up against the wall and shot. Lethal injection would be too painless."

"I had gone out of my way in my Beast endorsement to say that I was not doing it in the pages of National Review, where I write the back-page column, because of the experience of my colleague, the lovely Kathleen Parker. Kathleen had written in NRO that she felt Sarah Palin was an embarrassment. (Hardly an alarmist view.) This brought 12,000 livid emails, among them a real charmer suggesting that Kathleen’s mother ought to have aborted her and tossed the fetus into a dumpster. I didn’t want to put NR in an awkward position."

"Within hours of my endorsement appearing in The Daily Beast it became clear that National Review had a serious problem on its hands. So the next morning, I thought the only decent thing to do would be to offer to resign my column there. This offer was accepted—rather briskly!—by Rich Lowry, NR’s editor, and its publisher, the superb and able and fine Jack Fowler. I retain the fondest feelings for the magazine that my father founded, but I will admit to a certain sadness that an act of publishing a reasoned argument for the opposition should result in acrimony and disavowal."

"So, I have been effectively fatwahed (is that how you spell it?) by the conservative movement, and the magazine that my father founded must now distance itself from me. But then, conservatives have always had a bit of trouble with the concept of diversity. The GOP likes to say it’s a big-tent. Looks more like a yurt to me."

Christopher was forced to resign from the magazine that his father started today by complaints from hundreds if not thousands of readers threatening to cancel their subscriptions and to never buy the magazine again.

The right wing is acting like a real fascist entity by accepting his resignation that was sort of pro forma... he literally had NO idea that Rich Lowry and Jack Fowler would accept it wholeheartedly.

This is fucking sad.
:frown1:

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

Christopher was forced to resign from the magazine that his father started today by complaints from hundreds if not thousands of readers threatening to cancel their subscriptions and to never buy the magazine again.

You understand he really had NO alternative. He had rejected assimilation and therefore had to be cast out of the collective. Resistance was futile.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Christopher Buckley is a Buckley, but he is also his own man.

He just happens to believe that Barack Obama is the best man for the job of the president of the United States.

Christopher's left leaning is not a secret to the readers of the National Review. He decided to write a fateful post on ol' Tina Brown's blog The Daily Beast on the tenth of this month detailing the reasons that he is voting for Barack Obama. You can read his blog post
here

He writes in his latest blog in The Daily Beast, "I seem to have picked an apt title for my Daily Beast column, or blog, or whatever it’s called: “What Fresh HellMy last posting (if that’s what it’s called) in which I endorsed Obama, has brought about a very heaping helping of fresh hell. In fact, I think it could accurately be called a tsunami."

"As for the mail flooding into National Review Online—that’s been running about, oh, 700-to-1 against. In fact, the only thing the Right can’t quite decide is whether I should be boiled in oil or just put up against the wall and shot. Lethal injection would be too painless."

"I had gone out of my way in my Beast endorsement to say that I was not doing it in the pages of National Review, where I write the back-page column, because of the experience of my colleague, the lovely Kathleen Parker. Kathleen had written in NRO that she felt Sarah Palin was an embarrassment. (Hardly an alarmist view.) This brought 12,000 livid emails, among them a real charmer suggesting that Kathleen’s mother ought to have aborted her and tossed the fetus into a dumpster. I didn’t want to put NR in an awkward position."

"Within hours of my endorsement appearing in The Daily Beast it became clear that National Review had a serious problem on its hands. So the next morning, I thought the only decent thing to do would be to offer to resign my column there. This offer was accepted—rather briskly!—by Rich Lowry, NR’s editor, and its publisher, the superb and able and fine Jack Fowler. I retain the fondest feelings for the magazine that my father founded, but I will admit to a certain sadness that an act of publishing a reasoned argument for the opposition should result in acrimony and disavowal."

"So, I have been effectively fatwahed (is that how you spell it?) by the conservative movement, and the magazine that my father founded must now distance itself from me. But then, conservatives have always had a bit of trouble with the concept of diversity. The GOP likes to say it’s a big-tent. Looks more like a yurt to me."

The right wing is acting like a real fascist entity by accepting his resignation that was sort of pro forma... he literally had NO idea that Rich Lowry and Jack Fowler would accept it wholeheartedly.

This is fucking sad.
:frown1:

What's sad Tri, is that this publication was garnering its subscription revenue from a conservative, Republican consumer-base. This poor, poor innocent guy (who gleaned most of the ad revenue) was put out on the street by these mean, ugly, conservatives that didn't like his article. He was writing for the wrong magazine. He will be received with open arms by Bill Maher. I believe his life will go on.

If you are blind to that, you are the sad one, Tri.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You understand he really had NO alternative. He had rejected assimilation and therefore had to be cast out of the collective. Resistance was futile.

He said that his resignation was pro forma and I took that to mean that he wasn't really serious and didn't think that they'd accept it, him being WFB's son and all. He has never accepted assimilation that I know... I guess that since his father is dead that the Review thinks that they can do whatever it wants. I like it when he said that he thought that the GOP "big tent" was more like a "yurt"! lol!!!

ideologues to the left of me

ideologues to the right

tweedle dee

tweedle dum

How is Christopher Buckley an idealogue? I don't get it... are you calling me an idealogue? I'm confused...

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
How is Christopher Buckley an idealogue? I don't get it... are you calling me an idealogue? I'm confused...

not Buckley, dude!

the whiners that wrote in

I don't see that you're an ideologue

I used to be active in politics, and was involved in the Central Committees at one time or another for first one party, then the next

what turned me off about both sets of memberships was their blind allegiance to their respective ideologies, ignoring the facts, and therefore not choosing the best course of action for the country

the literature of the eighties shows some of this as individuals who had been around before the Repub takeover of that time, reacted and remarked to the new arrogance that party was now showing, and how ideology had taken hold, making compromise, cooperation and accommodation impossible

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Effectivedly fatwahed, eh? The right might cannibalize friend or foe alike when enraged.

glass houses my friend...glass houses. :smile:

those on the left and right both live in them on this and most topics. so when you discuss the far right cannibalizing friend and foe, just make sure you include those on the center left who have been cannibalized by the far left when enraged.

the one thing i have noticed here in my time on LPSG surrounded by a very large number of very far lefters, is that in their eagerness, and many times warranted, vociferous criticisms of the far right, they often ignore their own prejudices, usually to a fault, in their quest to demonize their enemy.

As an independent, you will forgive me for calling the proverbial spade a spade, and saying that you, my friend, are just as intolerant, stubborn, and demonizing of those who disagree with your world view as are those on the right who you so despise.

as Trey Parker, the creator of South Park Said. "People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us."

"It's really what Team America is as well: taking an extremist on this side and an extremist on that side. Michael Moore being an extremist is just as bad, you know, as Donald Rumsfeld. It's like they're the same person. It takes a fourth-grade kid to go, "You both remind me of each other."

couldn't be more true. :biggrin1:

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
as Trey Parker, the creator of South Park Said. "People on the far left and the far right are the same exact person to us."

"It's really what Team America is as well: taking an extremist on this side and an extremist on that side. Michael Moore being an extremist is just as bad, you know, as Donald Rumsfeld. It's like they're the same person. It takes a fourth-grade kid to go, "You both remind me of each other."

couldn't be more true. :biggrin1:

Michael Moore isn't a fucking extremist... how the hell is anyone really gonna compare Donald Rumsfeld (he's an extremist?) to Michael Moore?

That movie Team America was one class A piece of dog shit and Trey Parker is a goddamn ass for saying what he said in that quote... he has been responsible for some of the most ridiculous, sophomoric, disgusting, disrespectful, and insensitive entertainment that has ever graced the television set. He should be ashamed of himself not sounding off on subjects that he is ill informed on. His wandering into political matters reveals the limitations of his intellect. He should go and tell some more turd jokes... what a putz!!!!!

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Michael Moore isn't a fucking extremist... how the hell is anyone really gonna compare Donald Rumsfeld (he's an extremist?) to Michael Moore?

That movie Team America was one class A piece of dog shit and Trey Parker is a goddamn ass for saying what he said in that quote... he has been responsible for some of the most ridiculous, sophomoric, disgusting, disrespectful, and insensitive entertainment that has ever graced the television set. He should be ashamed of himself not sounding off on subjects that he is ill informed on. His wandering into political matters reveals the limitations of his intellect. He should go and tell some more turd jokes... what a putz!!!!!

and your sentiments on Michael Moore....?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He has made a documentary on how easy it is for teenagers to buy guns at K-MART and WAL-MART after the Columbine murders.

Do you call making a documentary illustrating glaring weaknesses in our society when it comes to keeping children safe an extreme view?

He made a documentary about the auto industry's decision to close several auto manufacturing plants in Flint Michigan and it's subsequent devastation of the town's economy. Is that an extremist view?

He made a documentary illustrating the nasty underbelly of insurance companies and their for-profit manner in which they administer health care to the American people. Is that extremist?

He did make a documentary about the deception and incompetence of the Bush administration surrounding the events of 9/11. If the movie was so full of shit... how come nobody has sued Michael Moore over it? they can't because it is all true. Do you call telling the truth about one of our country's worst disasters extremist?

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He has made a documentary on how easy it is for teenagers to buy guns at K-MART and WAL-MART after the Columbine murders.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And I hate guns. But guns don't shoot on their own.

Do you call making a documentary illustrating glaring weaknesses in our society when it comes to keeping children safe an extreme view?
Umm, are you talking about Columbine? Its conceivable that those kids would have obtained weapons with or without WalMart.

He made a documentary about the auto industry's decision to close several auto manufacturing plants in Flint Michigan and it's subsequent devastation of the town's economy. Is that an extremist view?
Its a one-sided view. They were losing money. Perhaps you and some of your charitable friends could have turned over your paychecks to Flint, Michigan and kept those ppl employed. Its become much worse for the automaker. They are in danger of going out of business. Will Mr. Moore please address the other communities that are in dire straits?

He made a documentary illustrating the nasty underbelly of insurance companies and their for-profit manner in which they administer health care to the American people. Is that extremist?
Call John Edwards. When he's not fucking a hooker while his wife is battling cancer, he is suing the insurers for tens of millions of dollars. Perhaps, he could redirect some of those millions to those in need of healthcare.

He did make a documentary about the deception and incompetence of the Bush administration surrounding the events of 9/11. If the movie was so full of shit... how come nobody has sued Michael Moore over it? they can't because it is all true. Do you call telling the truth about one of our country's worst disasters extremist?
Tri, even the left is embarrassed by Moore. Are you really defending him?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Call John Edwards. When he's not fucking a hooker while his wife is battling cancer, he is suing the insurers for tens of millions of dollars. Perhaps, he could redirect some of those millions to those in need of healthcare.

Yeah... I was snowed by him. What a douchenozzle... and what an assbag way to represent the little guy, he is a TOTAL liberal embarrassment. :(

Tri, even the left is embarrassed by Moore. Are you really defending him?

Are you sure of that? Every progressive or liberal that I know highly respects him, he is a good and principled man.

The right wing has been demonizing him for years, yet I think that he is brilliant (I think that right wingers are human piles of dogshit, so that doesn't surprise anyone). I will defend him until the cows come home.

Since you are a conservative, you have been fed more bullshit about Michael Moore than truths about him, so I expect you to dismiss and vilify him.

Although, you most definitely have a heart despite being a conservative... talking to you is never like talking to other conservatives (like talking to a brick wall)... I don't mean to assume what you know or don't know about Mr. Moore. Forgive me if I have judged you prematurely, it wasn't my intention. :smile:

The whole point though, is that he is NOT an extremist... and neither is Christopher Buckley.

Last edited:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah... I was snowed by him. What a douchenozzle... and what an assbag way to represent the little guy, he is a TOTAL liberal embarrassment. :(

Are you sure of that? Every progressive or liberal that I know highly respects him, he is a good and principled man.

The right wing has been demonizing him for years, yet I think that he is brilliant (I think that right wingers are human piles of dogshit, so that doesn't surprise anyone). I will defend him until the cows come home.

Since you are a conservative, you have been fed more bullshit about Michael Moore than truths about him, so I expect you to dismiss and vilify him.

Although, you most definitely have a heart despite being a conservative... talking to you is never like talking to other conservatives (like talking to a brick wall)... I don't mean to assume what you know or don't know about Mr. Moore. Forgive me if I have judged you prematurely, it wasn't my intention. :smile:

The whole point though, is that he is NOT an extremist... and neither is Christopher Buckley.

Ugh...Tri??? Eewww. That's like me defending Limbaugh.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ugh...Tri??? Eewww. That's like me defending Limbaugh.

Again... another erroneous comparison.

One is a drug addicted, blowhard disk jockey who regularly spews lies and non-truths and is not at all respected in the field of radio journalism.

and

The other is an Academy Award winning film maker who is HIGHLY respected in the field of documentary films.

I will however, never defend his physical appearance though! lol!!!! :smile:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Again... another erroneous comparison.

One is a drug addicted, blowhard disk jockey who regularly spews lies and non-truths and is not at all respected in the field of radio journalism.

and

The other is an Academy Award winning film maker who is HIGHLY respected in the field of documentary films.

I will however, never defend his physical appearance though! lol!!!! :smile:

Rushy has quite a following and quite a fat contract - I'm not sure that 'not at all respected' is an accurate depiction.

Ya, I don't think Rushy or MiMo are winning points on physical appearance...

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does anyone here read the National Review? Some of the article titles and content is a little disappointing if not disturbing. What is going on with them?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does anyone here read the National Review? Some of the article titles and content is a little disappointing if not disturbing. What is going on with them?

The National Review is a neoconservative rag... the magazine was founded to reinvent conservatism as an American intellectual tradition. In it's earliest inception, it was rather cavalier in it's taking on of the right wing's most radical fringes like the John Birch Society. To say that the magazine was influential on conservative American politics is an understatement.

Rushy has quite a following and quite a fat contract - I'm not sure that 'not at all respected' is an accurate depiction.

He isn't respected in the field of radio journalism... but in the world of disc jockeys, he is a veritable GOD. Most conservatives like to think of him as a radio journalist, but he is just a DJ, and you are right, among dee-jays, he is number one.

Ya, I don't think Rushy or MiMo are winning points on physical appearance...

Rush is in WAAAY better shape... Michael Moore looks like the embarrassing Uncle who lives in Grandma's basement.