Chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jumbo747jet, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jumbo747jet

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Anybody familiar with the condition called chronic fatigue syndrome and with treatments, supplements and so on which have proven to be effective in the management of this condition ?

2. pym

pym New Member

Is that the same as Epstien-Barr syndrom?

3. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I think the more technical term in use today is Fibromyalgia

4. jumbo747jet

No, chronic fatigue syndrome is not the same as fibromyalgia although several similarities. It's often known either as CFS or ME

5. pym

pym New Member

I could speak a little on Epstein/Barr if that is the same diagnosis you are concerned with. Let me know.

6. jumbo747jet

There are theories saying that the Epstein/Barr virus can cause CFS but so far I haven't seen any scientific evidence of it.
    My question is more to do with treatments, supplements and so on though, so if you have anything to share on that, I will appreciate it.

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I have lazy syndrome. :biggrin1:

8. pym

pym New Member

Thats the problem......there are several conflicting "theories" on what is the root cause of CFS. Mononucleosis, Epstien/Barr and such. Each has specific avenues of treatment regimens.
    There are several different reasons and diseases that can cause CFS symptomologies.
    I lost an Aunt in the 80's from Cancer. Her original diagnosis was Epstien/Barr{as diagnosed by Dr. Barr himself}.....Which commonly is said to be a precursor to various cancers. And she did end up with Lung cancer....which Metastisized into Brain cancer.
    I would be very concerned to isolate what the root cause of the CFS is.{virus type}?
    It would seem to be Viral in nature. Thus a difficult thing to advise on.
    I would think keeping the immune system boosted as best as one can, would be the best course of action. Perhaps HIV type immune system boosting regimens would be something to research.
    Best of luck.

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep - had it on and off for about 15 years (doesn't always last that long tho).

Various ways of treating it. There's no specific 'cure' although there are ways of treating and managing it.

ME/CFS is usually caught by highly motivated ppl who overdo it all the time, and wear themselves down. To recover, it's a case of stabilising yourself (at a lower level of activity than you'd like usually!) then gradually pacing up as you recover. Also avoiding slipping into overdoing things again.

The newest and seemingly fastest and most effective is the 'lightning process' where about 85% of ppl quickly recover enough to lead normal lives. It's an instruction course showing you how to handle it so your body is flooded with endorphins instead of adrenaline (which causes high enxiety etc) to help your body recover. There are quite a few specially trained ppl who teach this (in the UK and maybe elsewhere). As it's expensive tho (£500+) its worth looking into first. There's a book you can get on it, from the Phil Parker LP website.

The other more traditional way is to learn how to manage it by working out accurately what your average level of activity is - stick to it carefully until your body gets used to it - then gradually increase it step by step. Takes 6months+ tho. Been following a book on it myself ('Overcoming CFS' by Mary Burgess/Trudie Chalder) a bit at a time for about a year or so.
    This is the way i've been using with a fair bit of success. Thinking of taking the LP course tho in a year or so, just to add to it.

Good luck to whoever you know who's suffering from it. It's difficult to deal with but can be managed so you feel well again. :)

10. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Could be depression or an anxiety issue, Depression can cause sever physical pain as well as fatigue. Do more, get out more. There is a certain amount of depression related to the winter months. Have you actually been diagnosed with CFS. It seems more like an generic term then an actual diagnosis.

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Depression is a part of it sometimes - and antidepressants can be helpful with a lot of people - by making you feel more positive so you can gradually build yourself up again. It's a complicated issue though, and depression is usually only a part of it. There's usually other things going on that can be tackled also.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not when it comes to posting, you don't! :biggrin1:

13. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey Jumbo,

When I taught public school, I had a student whose mother was diagnosised with this disease. I do not know a lot about it, however, I have kept ties with the student and her family. I will see if I can get any information on how Sandra was treated.

YAG

14. Sexologist

Sexologist New Member

It is likely that this is a side-effect of fibromyalgia.
    Look up Dr St Amand in Los Angeles and his treatment for fibromyalgia with Guaifenesin. It is a long slow process but after 4 years it has worked for me.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

They list a variety of treatments on the CDC - Center for Disease Control site.

I think Epstein-Barr evolved into CFS in the states.

Beep, wrong answer. Twenty years ago that was the thinking. CFS is a legitimate disease which unfortunately affects millions worlwide.

That's not appreciated. You really could have kept that negativity to yourself, as it also shows your ignorance. I know people that have suffered with CFS, E-BS, and fibromyalgia. A friend of my ex-bf's career was ruined by CFS he was forced to retire from the FBI at the age of 33 and had to go on disability. He was not a lazy man. :mad:

Guaifenesin? Really? No wonder it's a slow process, that's a decongestant. My doc used to prescribe it for me every time I got bronchitis. It's now sold over-the-counter as Mucinex in the USA.

16. naughty

Gold Member

I have a feeling that my having to take Guafenesin for my asthma has lessened the effects of my own bouts with Fibromyalgia. That is a blessing considering I am a caretaker of an elder parent as you are, NJ and work full time. I still do at certain times however feel as if someone beat me all over with a baseball bat, but I have to keep moving so I guess Guaifenesin is a God send in disguise.

17. naughty

Gold Member

It is interesting that someone mentioned Mono. Before my doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia I had been dragging around with bone deep fatigue. most of the respiratory issues that accompany Mono were not present because of my asthma meds but it wasnt until after I had dealt with this for 6 months that my doctor said I probably had been walking around with Mono for all that time but it was masked by the meds I was taking for Asthma. I wonder if there is a link between some of the more chronic disorders like CFS and Fibromyalgia and Mono. Or if Moni kicks the others into full time residence.

18. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I was diagnosed with it, but later found out that it was my thyroid. The symptoms re nearly identical, with a few extras thrown into hypothyroidism, like joint aches and vision problems. I've had the symptoms off and on since 1968 and wasn't diagnosed until 1995. Have you had your thyroid tested?

19. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have known of people who were diagnosed with CFS (and/or fibromialgia and o/or MS) and subequently with Lyme disease (Borreliosis in Europe). I have Lyme and and have sore muscles, fatigue, neuropathies, and used to have lots of cognitive symptoms blah, blah, blah......
    There is lots of really nasty controversy regarding this diagnosis and recently the Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) was sued by the Attorney General of CT resulting in a settlement which included a complete review of the IDSA's diagnosis and treatment guidelines.
    If anyone wants to know more about any of this, let me know.
    Dave

20. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Despite visits to several doctors, I never got a clear answer to my questions about CFS or Eppstein-Barr or mono or whatever other name the illness might have.

I only know that at about age 25 I went through periods of severe fatigue that sometimes put me in bed to recover after even mild physical exertions. It wasn't continuous fatigue but it was frequent and it often intensified following bicycle rides or skiing or hiking or such.

The fatigue would come on with heart palpitations, cold sweats, headaches, and painful muscle aches that roved to various parts of my body seemingly at will. Yes, even my sexual interest and performance declined.

This all went on frequently for about 7 months before gradually subsiding. I had a brief recurrence a few years later but it hasn't returned since.

Draft saved Draft deleted