Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
After 12 years of living with, reading about, and trying to understand CFS/FM, hopefully I can shed a glimmer of additional light.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia are not the same thing. They sometimes (often?) co-occur, as in my case, but there are plenty of people living with one or the other but not both. Speaking at "overview" level, CFS is the fatigue/exhaustion part, which includes plenty of sleeping problems and so forth and so on, while Fibromyalgia is the consistent, persistent joint and muscle pain part.

The thinking of the medical community has changed a number of times about these conditions. There was an initial skepticism that either one was "real" - physicians tended to believe it was psychosomatic or "all in our heads" which drove sufferers crazy (uh, no pun intended haha). Many people were mis-diagnosed as having something else, or just not diagnosed at all. (I had better luck than many, but it was initially diagnosed as allergies for me. Huh?)

For a while it was believed that the Epstein-Barr virus (which is the virus that causes mono) caused CFS and/or FM, hence the term Chronic Epstein Barr Virus (CEBV) was for a while used. This terminology is no longer "in vogue," although when thinking about the causes of CFS and/or FM, Epstein Barr virus is one of many loose ends.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome remains a "diagnosis by exclusion" - that is, when a patient presents with certain symptoms (exhaustion, fatigue etc), a plethora of tests get run to insure the patient doesn't have leukemia, HIV, anemia, mono, lupus, Lyme disease, etc. When all those come back negative, and symptoms persist for 6 months, the person has CFS.

In Fibromyalgia, there are certain "pressure points" which are UNBELIEVABLY sensitive and painful and this is the easiest way to make an FM diagnosis (usually done by a rheumatologist).

A note about depression. This is a very touchy subject for CFS/FM sufferers because many symptoms of severe depression are similar to those of CFS, and because the medical profession originally dismissed CFS as a psychosomatic disorder, and because many antidepressant medications *at low doses* show some positive effect on CFS/FM. Those of us who have CFS are very quick to point out that this is not somehow "made up" and that we are certainly not lazy and are not just depressed, this is something more drastic. But in my opinion there is probably at least some small link - the question is, which comes first? When I first came down with CFS in college and had to spend vast portions of most days in my bed and missed class and almost flunked out - OF COURSE I was somewhat depressed, who wouldn't be? But depression was a symptom of my CFS, not the cause.

Well so anyway.

OP asked about treatments. Well, I was on a low dose (50 mg, I think) of Zoloft for a while, which helped some for a while (beware sexual side effects like no hard on though! - that sucked!). I have also been on Relafen, which was a great help for a while. I was prescribed a new one called Cymbalta which I would not recommend at all (made me even more sleepy and moody as hell...some might say Bitchy :smile: ).

The best treatment though, as mentioned above, is to take really good care of yourself. Get adequate rest. Don't try to overdo things, but also don't lie around mopey or hopeless or helpless. There will be days that suck. But, make the most of every day and when you are feeling pretty good, resist the urge to do 150% of what you planned because CFS *will* make you pay for it later.

A note about exercise. When a person is initially diagnosed, they may be told some moderate level of exercise is good. And the person thinks, wtf dude, I can't even get out of bed and you want me to EXERCISE? But, it is really true, swear to God, moderate levels of exercise are really wonderful for CFS/FM. And high sugar intake is bad, at least for me (I still do it sometimes, but man do I know I shouldn't have the next day).

I have many more thoughts so drop me a note if interested. Also, this seems to be a popular topic on wikipedia; start here
Chronic fatigue syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and there are plenty of other links.

In sum - CFS/FM sucks. But, it's usually manageable with some attention. And, though chronic, it's not fatal, so we can count our blessings in that regard.

Hope that helps.

D

nu8deep20

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
wjfe has had cfs for about 10 yrs now and she cant do anything for very long without getting tired and feeling sick she is disabled and we cant go to places like six flags or anything for more then an hour or less at a time. really sucks

This all went on frequently for about 7 months before gradually subsiding. I had a brief recurrence a few years later but it hasn't returned since.

Glad to hear it mate! :)

All the best to anyone on here who has suffered w/CFS, etc. Since there are a few conflicting ideas on how to handle it, can be difficult to find what works best for you. Good luck, though.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Anybody familiar with the condition called chronic fatigue syndrome and with treatments, supplements and so on which have proven to be effective in the management of this condition ?

Hey Jumbo,

www.vitality101.com

Dr. Teitelbaum's book - "From Fatigued to Fantastic"

This Doctor lays out a program to go from fatigued to fantastic and explains the diet, supplements and excercise to do it.

Nutritional Supplements that help you to feel better:

Probiotic (6 Billion)
Organic Noni Juice
Fiber (35 gram per day)
Dr. Teitelbaum's Sleep Formula
Oil of Wild Oregano
Olive leaf
Sinus Cleanser (cleanse sinuses)
Dental Care (have any dental issues that can lead to infection addressed)
Multi - Vitamin (Nature Made has a new gel that is available in Wal-Mart and most Drug Stores for Men that is extremely affordable)

Get plenty of sleep

For explanation of overall health and for great vitamins and supplements:

Dr. Richard Becker has a book - Foundations For Healing

Never take anything including vitamins and supplements without consulting with your Doctor first.

Hope this is a blessing to you!
Trinity

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I have had this off and on for about 3 years and it SUCKS lol. Mine comes and goes in waves....im good to go for a couple weeks then WHAM...I hit a wall. Back in my youth, as an undergrad, I had mono and this is nothing like that. Mono was a consistent feeling of being worn down...where this time it comes and goes with no warning, but the onset is quick and brutal. The irony is that when I am in the midst of a flair up it is nearly impossible for me to sleep..so that adds to the vicious cycle...and it is not like i am napping during the day...i mean it is literally no sleep.

I have had several thyroid tests, tried the low level antidepressant thing, CAT scans, MRIs blah blah blah. Scary thing is a coworker, 2 friends (male and female) and a cousin...all about my age... have had the same thing. Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but starting to wonder if its a long term toxicity buildup or a term side effect from an innoculation we were given as kids.

My exwife is an OB/GYN and specializes high-risk pregnancies. In her relatively short time span of practicing, she says that the rates of babies born with autism and hemangiomas has gone through the roof since 2000. Reason why I mention that, is that it is obvious that there is are enviornmental factors at work here...so I wonder if the CFS/FM is the same. Oh well....all I know is that I never take my 'good days' for granted =)

Flyingwood

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow never expected to find this subject here. LOL.
Have had chronic fatigue since major cancer surgery and treatment in 2003.
The medical community is clueless on what to do. Nothing has worked.
Currently Aug 2011, finally am seeing a medical-psychiatrist. Has linked all my issues back to the cancer treatment and surgery (took out 18 pound sclerosing liposarcoma--fat mass with a cancerour connective web inside, very rare; 1/2 colon, right kidney, right adrenal, gall bladder, 1/4 of liver, and some of small intestines). 12 1/2 hour surgery plus 24 hour coma because they had to do so much work.
Now hoping the current doc/psych can make improvements.

kanzon

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Antidote
: had a friend several years ago who said he had Chronic Fatigue, he died suddenly of a massive heart attack one day. I can't help but think the heart condition was related to his tiredness, if not the main cause. Just an cautionary note to anyone who may deal with this.

With the prevalence of heart disease in people in general, I try to eat like it is a big concern for me, now just to lose those last 10 lbs.

I'm 48 and deal with my own afternoon tiredness with about 150mg of caffeine , I buy it in bulk in little white pills on the net. No jitters, I must process it well, I get sleepy/cranky if I skip this.

Last edited: