Church's gay exorcism video creates stir

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by edonline, Jun 24, 2009.

1. edonline

Gold Member

Church's gay exorcism video creates stir - Faith- msnbc.com

Church's gay exorcism video creates stir

Gay and youth advocates are demanding an investigation

The Associated Press

updated 3:09 p.m. ET, Wed., June 24, 2009

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The video shows the 16-year-old boy lying on the floor, his body convulsing, as elders of a small Connecticut church cast a "homosexual demon" from his body.

"Rip it from his throat!" a woman yells. "Come on, you homosexual demon! You homosexual spirit, we call you out right now! Loose your grip, Lucifer!"

The 20-minute video posted on YouTube by Manifested Glory Ministries is being called abuse by gay and youth advocates, who are demanding an investigation. But a church official this week denied that the teenager was injured or that the church is prejudiced.

"We believe a man should be with a woman and a woman should be with a man," the Rev. Patricia McKinney told The Associated Press. "We have nothing against homosexuals. I just don't agree with their lifestyle."

'Come out of his belly'

The church posted the video on YouTube but has since removed it; it is still available on some Web sites that copied it. The church declined to make the video available for distribution by The Associated Press.

It shows church members standing the youth on his feet by holding him under his arms, and people shouting as organ music plays.

"Come out of his belly," someone commands. "It's in the belly — push."

Later, the teenager is back on the floor, breathing heavily. Then he's coughing and apparently vomiting into a bag.

"Get another bag," a participant says. "Make sure you have your gloves."

As the youth lay back on the ground, limp, church members put a white sheet over him.

It's nearly impossible to say how often similar exercises occur in churches nationwide. But Kamora Herrington, who runs a mentoring program at True Colors and has worked with the youth, said she believes it's fairly common.

"This happens all the time," she said. "This is not isolated."

Robin McHaelin, executive director of True Colors, an advocacy group for gay youths, said her organization is aware of five cases in recent years in which youths in her program were threatened with exorcism.

'I think it's horrifying'

In one case, she said, a child called to report that his caregiver had called a priest who was throwing holy water on his bedroom door.

"I think it's horrifying," McHaelin said of the video by Manifested Glory. "What saddens me is the people that are doing this think they are doing something in the kid's best interests, when in fact they're murdering his spirit."

McHaelin said she planned to report the situation to the Connecticut Department of Children and Families. An agency spokesman said the agency does not comment on complaints or investigations.

"They have this kid in a full nelson," she said. "That just seems abusive to me."

McKinney said the youth was 18. The boy confirmed he is 16 but otherwise declined to comment, citing the advice of his pastor.

McHaelin said the boy told her staff that the church performed the ritual three times at his request. She said the boy has been engaging in risky behavior that she blames on the church's treatment.

McKinney said the youth went to the church last year and collapsed on the floor during a service.

"He was out of control in the church," she said. "This young man came to us. We didn't go to him."

'He didn't want to be like that'

McKinney denied the ritual was an exorcism, describing it instead as a casting out of spirits. She said the church took care of the youth, providing him clothes.

"He was dressing like a woman and everything. And he didn't want to be like that," McKinney said.

The teen had been in reform school for stealing but was eager to get out and go to the church to have what he thought were his demons driven out, Herrington said.

Exodus International, a Christian group that believes gays can become straight through prayer and counseling, does not advocate the church's approach, said Jeff Buchanan, director of church equipping.

The Rev. Roland Stringfellow, a minister in Oakland, Calif., said he was subject to demon casting in the 1990s when he was at a Baptist church and was struggling with his sexuality. He said he was put in front of the church as members shouted "demon of homosexuality come out of him."

"It caused nothing but shame and embarrassment," Stringfellow said.

McKinney also has a weekly radio program. She talked on Wednesday's program about being "persecuted" in recent days but did not mention the video specifically.

"It's been a hard time for me, but I'm looking good and I'm standing strong because when you have a mandate like mine you're not going to say what you want without the adversary coming after you," she said. "If you are a true prophet you're not going to be popular with the people."

2. Meniscus

Gold Member

Here's a portion of the video, just under 6 minutes long.

Exorcism of a Gay Demon Video

I regret that the poster of this video seemed to think it was funny.

#2 Meniscus, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I saw a 2 minute clip on another website. The news wanted to interview them, but they refused and were upset over the request. At least they know that what they are doing is wrong or they would have been happy to do an interview about it. It's sad that there are people who hide behind religion doing such quackery and causing harm.

4. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Did it work?
    Or are seven more demons coming back 10 times worst than the original hosts? Will these demons return to its clean house? You got to love the Bible.

5. B_FruitFly

B_FruitFly New Member

Kinda reminds me of stage hypnosis. It amazing how so many people could be watching this and no one breaks out in laughter.

6. stamrod

stamrod New Member

Albums:
    The story is a bit contradicting. How is the kid in a full nelson and laying on the floor. That's a bit hard to do.

I think that since the teenager went into it willingly (he's 16 years old and able to think enough for himself) with his parent's consent, there's no child abuse here.

It's just like if a adolescent didn't like one of his fingers and got a doctor to cut it off with consent of his parents. Yes, it's hurting him, but it's what's desired. People have the right to do with their body as they see fit as long as it doesn't significantly impact others (that's where drugs, drinking and driving, etc come in).

Gay rights groups can argue that his homosexuality is a natural part of him, but if he wants to change himself and it's not forced on him, it's not really abuse IMO. There's the whole 'he was brain-washed' argument, but that's really hard to determine.

7. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    She believes she's a profit, that homosexuality is caused by demons, this only goes to show how whacked these people really are. I also can't believe someone who don't want to dress like a women would go and do it anyway, this is just stupid crap. You don't want to be gay but your going to go out and doing risky things. I'd say that is all caused by false ideas that were drummed into the youth to begin with. Shame and rejection by family and peers is a very stong influence, its amazing the poor child hasn't killed himself already.

8. crescendo69

Gold Member

I wonder what the boy ate to get the demon in his stomach?

9. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Had to be Mexican. I always get demons in my stomach when I eat that stuff :rolleyes:.

10. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Exodus International...where rational thought escapes them!

11. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I can't decide which part of this I find most horrifying.

12. dreamer20

Gold Member

stamrod, Re: the OP: You assumed this matter involved parental consent, but there was no evidence of this as neither his parents' existence nor their consent was mentioned in the OP. The OP claimed the youth was an ex-con cared for by the church. He voluntarily sought to be healed through prayer and not to be a volunteer for abuse/ maltreatment as you suggest.

Because he was not injured the church can rightly claim he was not abused. However charges of abuse and negligence would be incurred had he suffered broken ribs, choked on his vomit or died from traumatic internal injuries as a result of being mishandled by church officials during a faith healing session.

I hope that this controversy, and the youth's 2008 collapse in the church, has made the church see the wisdom of getting persons to sign a liability disclaimer before an exorcism.

#12 dreamer20, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  13. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    The guy in the video doesn't appear to be struggling or alarmed by the procedure in any way so to me this looks like a brainwashing/indoctrination thing. From the tone of the thread I was expecting a violent intervention but it looks like the abuse was something he walked into willingly.

What I find most alarming about this is just how weak minded someone would have to be to put any belief into this woman's ministry. As exorcisms go this was pathetic. First clue, she's speaking into a microphone. WTF for? the supposed 'demon' she's casting out is inside the person in front of her so she needs her voice broadcast why? Second clue. Tie the bags up tight? Uh, huh... because we all know how difficult it is for demons to cross a thin plastic barrier...

14. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

why do they always talk like

"fight the demon-a, in the name of Jesus-a, You homosexual demon-a!"?

15. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Why do Brits talk like they do? And what's the deal with Australian English? It's all just regional accents.

16. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I doubt that, it's pretty specific to televangelists.

Somehow I doubt there's anyone from any region at any drive thru saying, "I WANT-a a double bacon CHEESEburger, and HOLD the lettuce-a. I want FRIES with that meal and by the glory of God SUPERSIZE that drink-a.

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Because they've watched too many Hollywood versions of the ritual.

edit- and the lady who posted above ^^ is correct. Or maybe televangelists all come from the same region-a?

#17 vince, May 1, 2010
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  18. luka82

Gold Member

I don`t know what to say!
    Maybe she can treat AIDS with farting????
    Someone should post that woman!!!!
    Poor, poor child!

Draft saved Draft deleted