Circumcision Ban May End Up On San Francisco Ballot

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Who is bent on imposing their philosphy on others? The ones who speak up that circumcision is wrong? Or the ones who carve their opinion in the penises of other people?

A few close minded assholes? Better than 80% of the men on this planet have a foreskin.
I suggest that you open your mind, and stop putting down other people, either because they are as nature made them, or because you have a different opinion....

Open your ears! I'm not putting down the people who don't want to be circumcised. I'm putting down the people who are on a crusade to ban the practice because THEY don't agree with it. Circumcise or don't circumcise, I don't give too much of shit. But what I do care about is people like you trying to legislate people like me to your side of the fence.

To each his own, and again I say STOP MINDING OTHER PEOPLE'S BUSINESS!

MalakingTiti

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On second thought, I think we should outlaw circumcision! And while we're at it lets also ban tattoos, body piercings, organ transplants, blood transfusions, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, limb reattachments, tooth extractions, and the separation of conjoined twins.

Sapien

Experimental Member
Media
Open your ears! I'm not putting down the people who don't want to be circumcised. I'm putting down the people who are on a crusade to ban the practice because THEY don't agree with it. Circumcise or don't circumcise, I don't give too much of shit. But what I do care about is people like you trying to legislate people like me to your side of the fence.

Isn't a bit late if you have been circumcised and don't agree with it. Perhaps not all, but most people with status would support a ban. There is no other such cosmetic surgery that is legal to perform on infant, why should circumcision be?

On second thought, I think we should outlaw circumcision! And while we're at it lets also ban tattoos, body piercings, organ transplants, blood transfusions, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, limb reattachments, tooth extractions, and the separation of conjoined twins.

Tattoos - cosmetic surgery - In Canada legal minimum age without the consent of a parent is 18, with the consent of a parent it is 16. Babies - not legal. Most likely laws are similar in other countries. There have been cases where parents have been charged with child abuse for having their children tattooed.

Body piercings - cosmetic - In Canada, must be 16 without parental consent. No restrictions with parental consent. However, long term effect of having a piercing is minimal.

Organ transplants - are only performed when there is urgent medical need. This is a life saving operation.

Blood transfusions - are only performed when there is medical need. This is usually a life saving procedure.

Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery - since you associated them I am assuming you mean that the reconstructive surgery is cosmetic. This is also performed out of medical need. In this case the medical need could be psychological when severe deformities are involved.

Limb Re-attachments - this is performed out of medical need. Most likely the person did not intend for his or her limb to be detached.

Tooth Extractions - these are performed when there is a medical need. Infected teeth cause intense pain and can lead to serious health issues - including death.

Separation of Conjoined Twins - this is a very unique/rare circumstance and is usually done when it is determined that it feasible that both twins can survive or perhaps they can't survive if left joined. In the first situation, in high risk cases this is usually done when the twins themselves decide to take the risk.

Not one of your attempted analogies was a valid comparison.

Care to try again.

Open your ears!

Human rights and the abuse of human rights is everyone's business.

Open your mind!

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Anything I decide to do for my child, if I bring one into this world, will NOT be any of your business. I don't care what you think or believe. Whether or not my child undergoes circumcision would be up for my spouse, my doctor and myself to decide. There is one thing for certain... I would make sure that he stays FAR away from propagandists who would ever try to make him feel inferior based on whether or not he had his foreskin.

Last edited:

Sapien

Experimental Member
Media
There is one thing for certain... I would make sure that he stays FAR away from propagandists who would ever try to make him feel inferior based on whether or not he had his foreskin.

Not that I agree we are propagandists, but how do you intend on accomplishing that?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not that I agree we are propagandists

Well in many ways you are. Anyone who vehemently sides with one belief propagates their stance to some level. Some do it more than others.

but how do you intend on accomplishing that?

One can only try their best to protect their children from such ignorance. It's certainly not as if this kind of information would ever be taught in schools... especially when the goal is to nurture children to accept who they are regardless of one's differences and be the best that they can. However, if by chance someone was ignorant enough to try and put into a developing child's head that their penis is scarred or mutilated, I will be there to assure the child that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them despite what some people think their dicks look like. Keep in mind, when I refer to "ignorance" I'm not referring to the sciences or what certain experts say. It's all of the hateful, narcissistic and character depriving nonsense that is spouted by those who are against the procedure who will say or imply anything to suggest that males without foreskin are somehow lesser than those who have one.

My parents raised me with that very strong belief, and much to your chagrin it's unshakable. That's why I can maintain a neutral stance on this issue amidst the constant barricade of rhetoric.

Last edited:

Sapien

Experimental Member
Media
One can only try their best to protect their children from such ignorance. It's certainly not as if this kind of information would ever be taught in schools... especially when the goal is to nurture children to accept who they are regardless of one's differences and be the best that they can. However, if by chance someone was ignorant enough to try and put into a developing child's head that their penis is scarred or mutilated, I will be there to assure the child that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them despite what some people think their dicks look like. Keep in mind, when I refer to "ignorance" I'm not referring to the sciences or what certain experts say. It's all of the hateful, narcissistic and character depriving nonsense that is spouted by those who are against the procedure who will say or imply anything to suggest that males without foreskin are somehow lesser than those who have one.

My parents raised me with that very strong belief, and much to your chagrin it's unshakable. That's why I can maintain a neutral stance on this issue amidst the constant barricade of rhetoric.

I don't think there would be too many intactivists that would discuss the pros and cons of circumcision with a child the way we do amongst adults. I don't think there is a real need to protect a child from such I think. I certainly hope not.

The point is the child will grow up be independent and in today's world will find information on the subject one way or another. Sure, you could impart your beliefs on the subject and convince him that the choice made was best. I agree it it is a good thing to do. A good parent will build a child's self esteem and do his best to make his child confident and proud. (But, unfortunately, in the case of circumcision the information that was prevalent was not based on sound medical evidence or knowledge. The anatomy and physiology of the foreskin was not even studied in detail until the mid 1990's).

In the case that a parent does choose circumcision and educates his child as your parents did, the situation could still end up different. At some point the child will be become an adult and will likely research the subject and will make his own choice (will research especially since circumcised males are becoming a minority). In spite of what the parent attempted to instill into the child, as an adult he may now disagree with the parent. Your personal experience is not necessarily representative of what could or would happen with your own child. We are all unique.

It is not so much that those without foreskins are lesser males than those with them. It is that a significant percentage males have suffered substantial negative consequences directly related to their circumcision. It is unknown and unpredictable who will be so affected. I think that we has been stated many times that the circumcision does not affect all of the same and some affects are somewhat age dependent. I personally wasn't so concerned about my circumcision until a few years after I noticed a decline in orgasm intensity ~35 (restoration has more than reversed the situation). As an adult, I think for myself. What my parents taught me as a child is irrelevant to my current real life experiences.

The fact that there there is a substantial percentage of circumcised men would have been preferred to be left intact is itself justification to end the practice of infant circumcision. It is strong evidence that parents should not be making this choice for their child.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
2¢ from Emily Latilla:
Can't we simply let these cut men in the San Francisco Ballet just dance?Haven't they suffered enough already?
:wink:

S

SirConcis

Evolution does not design better things. It eliminates bad ones (since ones with bad genes tend to not reproduce succesfully, or die before reproductive age).

The foreskin is not there because it is needed or beneficial. It is still there because it does not impede reproduction too much.

In fact, if circumcision had never been performed, the genes that lead to tight foreskins would have been weeded out over the tens of thousands of years and foreskins today would be shorter since males with long foreskins have greater chances of having foreskin problems.

The foreskin is just like the appendix or tonsils. A vestige that is no longer really needed and can stay there as long as it doesn't cause trouble.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Geez, you will really try to say anything to say that the foreskin is useless and should be removed, won't you?
Evolution does not design better things. It eliminates bad ones (since ones with bad genes tend to not reproduce succesfully, or die before reproductive age).

The foreskin is not there because it is needed or beneficial. It is still there because it does not impede reproduction too much.
The foreskin "does not impede reproduction too much"? For real? Or did you mean not at all? And on what grounds do you, in the face of the studies of beneficial foreskin function, claim there is no benefit to having one?
In fact, if circumcision had never been performed, the genes that lead to tight foreskins would have been weeded out over the tens of thousands of years and foreskins today would be shorter since males with long foreskins have greater chances of having foreskin problems.
Your natural selection stance on tight or long foreskins being weeded out is complete bullshit. There are plenty of guys who have tight phimotic foreskins and are just fine with them, and there are plenty of men with lots of overhang that have no issues at all. The much more obvious answer is that natural foreskin variation isn't that big a deal, and it doesn't cause significant health problems, or problems with reproduction. People are fretting about problems that either don't exist or have been grossly inflated.
The foreskin is just like the appendix or tonsils. A vestige that is no longer really needed and can stay there as long as it doesn't cause trouble.
The appendix and tonsils are also not useless. The tonsils are lymphatic tissue, and contribute to the body's immune system, as well as some of the physical structure of the mouth. The appendix, based on more recent studies is also thought to aid in lymphatic function, and may also serve as a "safe haven" for beneficial bacteria when the digestive tract is flushed (diarrhea). In addition, the appendix is no longer removed unless it is necessary to do so, because it can be used to reconstruct a sphincter muscle or functional bladder if needed. The foreskin can be used similarly, if the penis is damaged, for reconstructive purposes.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
One can only try their best to protect their children from such ignorance. It's certainly not as if this kind of information would ever be taught in schools... especially when the goal is to nurture children to accept who they are regardless of one's differences and be the best that they can. However, if by chance someone was ignorant enough to try and put into a developing child's head that their penis is scarred or mutilated, I will be there to assure the child that there's absolutely nothing wrong with them despite what some people think their dicks look like.
As much as those who oppose circumcision of children get flak for it, we don't actually drop the "M" bomb all that much. We don't actually tell other people their penises are defective or damaged. All we do, for the most part, is talk about the studies which have found function for the foreskin, and which indicate there might actually be reason to keep it around. These studies are not black and white with 100% of people on either side conforming to any particular good or bad status. The accusations of "propaganda" would not exist if circumcision was not a cultural norm in the US.
Keep in mind, when I refer to "ignorance" I'm not referring to the sciences or what certain experts say. It's all of the hateful, narcissistic and character depriving nonsense that is spouted by those who are against the procedure who will say or imply anything to suggest that males without foreskin are somehow lesser than those who have one.
Seriously, why the lashing out against the studies on circumcision? There are plenty of circumcised men on these threads who see studies like the Sorrels study and say they have no problems with their sensitivity and couldn't imagine having more. There are plenty who see that the foreskin has mechanical function and say they are fine without it. Many see circumcision trumpeted as a personal, instead of parental, choice and state they are fine with their parents having made the decision for them. None of these people feel deprived in any way.

So I ask this: if those people can brush off the information and continue being satisfied with their penis, why do others feel we are attacking theirs? Why aren't they just attacking the validity of the information? Is it just an egotistical thing that they would feel this is a personal attack?
Your stance is far from neutral. It's bullheaded and one-sided. You feel circumcision is better because you think it's better. If you were truly neutral on the subject, than you would have something to offer in order to counteract the many, many points raised by those who oppose circumcising children, or you would at least acknowledge those points as worthy of consideration. Your opinion is merely a refusal to acknowledge any possible harm caused by a choice your parents made for you or you would make for your son. You don't have any stated reason for it besides that you feel it is your right, and you have no reason why it should remain so. You feel that this parental choice is absolute, and that nothing may challenge it. Your stance is completely based on supporting the status quo as it exists at all costs. I'll at least give you one thing, your not throwing out abject lies and actual propaganda the way Sirconcis does.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Your stance is far from neutral. It's bullheaded and one-sided. You feel circumcision is better because you think it's better. If you were truly neutral on the subject, than you would have something to offer in order to counteract the many, many points raised by those who oppose circumcising children, or you would at least acknowledge those points as worthy of consideration.

Please, JTalbain... never once have I ever implied that circumcision is better. As much as I respect your opinion around here, PLEASE don't put words in my mouth. For ages now, I have defended a parent's right to choose and I've also said several times that I don't care either way. I don't have to argue points in a matter you approve of in order to fit the title of being "neutral".

Your opinion is merely a refusal to acknowledge any possible harm caused by a choice your parents made for you or you would make for your son.

Well for the mass majority of people who are circumcised (including myself), they don't agree that their parents harmed them. Being that you were circumcised by your parents and you're not happy with it, I understand that you are not one of these people and once again I extend my condolences. But don't project your parental angst on me and my parents. That's not a fair or honest argument whatsoever.

You don't have any stated reason for it besides that you feel it is your right, and you have no reason why it should remain so. You feel that this parental choice is absolute, and that nothing may challenge it. Your stance is completely based on supporting the status quo as it exists at all costs.

The "status quo" still allows people to do as they will. That means if someone disagrees with you they are still free to pursue their wishes without your intervention. However, considering that the number of circumcisions in this country are dropping it's safe to say that many of the reasons for anti-circumcision is resonating with expecting parents. You should be happy about that. And notice, this is all happening WITHOUT the need of any federal or state government proposing any preventive legislation. If that's not an indicator of how essential it is for parents to choose then what is?

I'll at least give you one thing, your not throwing out abject lies and actual propaganda the way Sirconcis does.

Honestly I have no idea why Sirconsis typed what he did. Comparing foreskin to tonsils is a little crazy.

B_lrgeggs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Sounds like someone is circumcision-phobic!

We're here! We're cut! Get use to it!

Quick, can someone start a list of famous circumsized people...

That always makes a good point.

S

SirConcis

Appendix: without medical attention, an infection is deadly (peritonitis).

You need to consider that medical systems have sqewed evolution by allowing people with deffects to survive and reproduce. And in tribal settings, a women wouldn't choose a man whose foreksin can't retract. While the anti circers see an non retractable foreksin as perfectly normal, it is not. It is unclean, and definitely leads to more infections.

In today's society, by the time the female learns that a mate has uretractable foreksin, they are well into their relationship and she is then willing to overlook that aspect. But if the guy had a t-shirt stating "my foreksin can't retract" and walk around on Times Square, he'd only attract some gay anti-circers.

In the past, the whole tribe would know if a guy had deffective foreskin.

Yes, many with long foreskins have no problems. But on an evolutionary scale, without cricumcision, the long foreskin genes would slowly go away because these people have higher rate of problems. And remember that daily showers and hygiene is something that happened just minutes ago when you consider an evolutionary scale of 40,000 years.

Just because medecine and frequyent washing can make foreskins work today does not mean that foreskins are "ideal" and that they developped perfectly.

Consider that almost all medical books and all sex books prior to the anti-circ campaings described the foreskin as fully retracting during erection. Yet, this is not as widespread as what the books state since a large proportioon of guys have the foreksin remain over part of head during erection until manually retracted fully.

Why would the medical/sex books have described the normal penis as having the automatically retracting foreksin during erection if a large proportion of the population has longer foreskins which continued to cover part of head during erection ?

I'll tell you why: because this is what is instintively seen as the ideal uncircumcised penis. One with remaining forekskin during erection is seen as not yet fully developped. (aka: a kids penis).

And I am not talking about american medical or sex books (since they never mentioned foreskins in the 1970s and 1980s except to note it was usually removed at birth). I am talking about books from europe which I read while a teenager to seek more information about what a "normal" foreskin was. And as you may know, Europe has not adopted circumcision so their medical books would be based on a much wider experience by doctors exemining patients. (whereas in the USA, few doctors have much experience with foreskins since there are so few around, or at least were so few around).

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Appendix: without medical attention, an infection is deadly (peritonitis).
Yes, that's true. And this is also a perfect counterpoint to your own argument. Something which has a use, but can possibly have problems later in life is NOT removed as preventive measure in modern medicine. Doctors used to remove tonsils and appendices of children as a precautionary procedure, and they no longer do so. Infections are no longer as big a deal as they used to be and are quite manageable. Now if an infected appendix can be fatal, but the medical community has deemed that they should not be removed as preventive medicine, why should it be different for foreskins, which have no such life threating implications?

You need to consider that medical systems have sqewed evolution by allowing people with deffects to survive and reproduce. And in tribal settings, a women wouldn't choose a man whose foreksin can't retract.
Which "tribe" would you be talking about here? Or is this just a genral term you're using for primitive human culture, about which you can provide no evidence and no one can provide counterpoint?
While the anti circers see an non retractable foreksin as perfectly normal, it is not. It is unclean, and definitely leads to more infections.
That should be a fairly easy statistic for you to find. Would you like to present it, or are we supposed to take your word for it? Also a non-retractable foreskin is "normal" in the sense that it is part of natural human variation, but it can possibly be problematic. However, in the vast majority of cases, stretching and/or steroid cremes can fix the issue. Why should you amputate a body part when you can instead fix it? And why is it necessary to perform circumcisions on minors before they even show signs that they may have this problem?

In today's society, by the time the female learns that a mate has uretractable foreksin, they are well into their relationship and she is then willing to overlook that aspect. But if the guy had a t-shirt stating "my foreksin can't retract" and walk around on Times Square, he'd only attract some gay anti-circers.

In the past, the whole tribe would know if a guy had deffective foreskin.
Again, your assertion that no one in the past would have anything to do with a man whose foreskin couldn't retract. Why do you think this? And why do you feel this would matter to anyone in today's society? People today (especially in the US) seem infinitely more interested in whether the man has foreskin at all than rather it can retract.

Yes, many with long foreskins have no problems. But on an evolutionary scale, without cricumcision, the long foreskin genes would slowly go away because these people have higher rate of problems. And remember that daily showers and hygiene is something that happened just minutes ago when you consider an evolutionary scale of 40,000 years.
Perhaps you are unfamiliar with how the concept of natural selection works. First off, where do you get the idea that those with longer foreskins have more foreskin problems? That's like asserting that women with larger breasts are more likely to get breast cancer. (They aren't by the way.)

Even in the most severe cases of phimosis, a simple slit is usually enough to completely fix the issue. But this is therapeutic medicine. Why would you amputate a body part because it might have a problematic condition later in life that is not life threatening and can be treated by fairly noninvasive means?

Just because medecine and frequyent washing can make foreskins work today does not mean that foreskins are "ideal" and that they developped perfectly.
Nothing is perfect, but the penis as it currently exists is designed to have a foreskin. While the design may not be "perfect", you really have no case for claiming that the altered state is "better".

Consider that almost all medical books and all sex books prior to the anti-circ campaings described the foreskin as fully retracting during erection. Yet, this is not as widespread as what the books state since a large proportioon of guys have the foreksin remain over part of head during erection until manually retracted fully.

Why would the medical/sex books have described the normal penis as having the automatically retracting foreksin during erection if a large proportion of the population has longer foreskins which continued to cover part of head during erection ?

I'll tell you why: because this is what is instintively seen as the ideal uncircumcised penis. One with remaining forekskin during erection is seen as not yet fully developped. (aka: a kids penis).
Those books deal with the averages, not the ideals. They probably described the adult penis as about 6 inches long, which by your logic means they would think half the guys on this forum were deformed. And we have also re-learned relatively recently that the foreskin is intended to be able to remain mobile and continue to cover the head, at least partially, during masturbation and intercourse as a "gliding" mechanic to reduce friction and lubrication loss. These studies likely post date the publication of most medical literature you would find nowadays.

And I am not talking about american medical or sex books (since they never mentioned foreskins in the 1970s and 1980s except to note it was usually removed at birth). I am talking about books from europe which I read while a teenager to seek more information about what a "normal" foreskin was. And as you may know, Europe has not adopted circumcision so their medical books would be based on a much wider experience by doctors exemining patients. (whereas in the USA, few doctors have much experience with foreskins since there are so few around, or at least were so few around).
Europe had its own circumcision craze for a while. Britain did for a bit, and a few other places did as well. However, in most cases it died out almost entirely. In any case, many of the studies which tried to comprehensively analyze the anatomy of the foreskin were done in the 80's, and so may not have been available when said books in Europe were published.

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Please, JTalbain... never once have I ever implied that circumcision is better. As much as I respect your opinion around here, PLEASE don't put words in my mouth. For ages now, I have defended a parent's right to choose and I've also said several times that I don't care either way. I don't have to argue points in a matter you approve of in order to fit the title of being "neutral".
Sorry about that, I went back and reread my post and realized I came off as a bit of an asshole. I didn't really state my point clearly either. Let's try again with less dickishness.

The debate over whether or not to pass a law banning circumcision of minors is actually a question of whether or not parents have the parental right to decide circumcision status for their sons. Basically, it is a proposed revision of the law.

The people that support this bill point at the studies which indicate foreskin function and possible harm due to circumcision. They also point at the fact that some men are unhappy with the results, have problems (physically and psychologically) later because of the choice made for them, and the decision to circumcise is irreversible. Those supporting the proposed law point to medical and legal precedent, indicating the condition of most infant circumcisions are cosmetic in nature, uncomforming to the strictures under which proxy consent is deemed allowable, and draw parallels between the practices of circumcision and FGM, which is forbidden by the law to protect females.

All of the above is clear in the motives of those who support the bill. However, in your posts, it seemed to me that you were using the current law to defend the validity of the current law, in an argument of circular logic. In essence, because parents had possessed the legal right for years, that this was in and of itself justification for them to continue to do so. My question, hopefully stated a bit more clearly, is this: What is it that you feel counters the above arguments in such a way that it indicates parents should maintain the choice to have non-therapeutic circumcision performed on their children, despite the possible harms?

TyUnsaved

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have been circumcised as a baby, and damn glad I was. I love how my penis looks, and honestly I find uncircumcised cocks rather strange TO ME, but that's my opinion, and I'm not trying to offend. Besides, circumcision DOES reduce the risk of penile cancer, significantly- But again this shouldn't force anyone to do it. Such a law would be unfair. Let people do what they want if it doesn't harm (I am cut and don't feel harmed, same with many cut men I know and talked to). If you want to have your kid cut or leave him uncut that's up to you, and nobody should judge you for that. I just don't see it is worth so much controversy. As for comparing it to female circumcision; it is unfair since female circumcision has absolutely no benefits whatsoever and it is harmful.
Calling parents who get their children circumcised is not cool. Live and let others live.

PS: Maybe I am biased towards allowing circumcision, but as I said I do not judge those who chose not to do it. Civil discussions shouldn't include name calling or false accusations, or even accusatory tone when stating an opinion.

Last edited: