Circumcision does NOT stop HIV transmission in US men

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by chico8, Dec 4, 2007.

1. chico8

chico8 New Member

Link

This pretty much confirms that circumcision has no value in the prevention of HIV transmission. It will be interesting to see how those African studies hold up under the spotlight. Something tells me they're not worth the paper they're printed on.

2. D_Rock_ N_Hardon

D_Rock_ N_Hardon Account Disabled

Albums:
    leave our foreskins alone!!!!! LOL

3. Big en

Big en New Member

Albums:

No shit.

4. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

DUH!!! :wink:

5. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

"DUH"?

The overwhelming preponderance of scientific research points in one direction and seems to be contradicted perhaps by one study in the United States. This happens in science all the time, especially when we study "new" and emerging diseases like those caused by HIV-infection -- and their epidemiology.

I highly recommend you read Helen Epstein's book The Invisible Cure: it is a great contribution to understanding the social behavioral aspects of the pandemic.

6. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

Thank you for thinking about scientific information correctly. :smile:

I hate it when people use science for their own political agendas, whatever they may be. This study probably warrants further studies, but it does not, by itself, disprove current thinking on the subject.

7. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hung Muscle wrote:
    The overwhelming preponderance of scientific research points in one direction and seems to be contradicted perhaps by one study in the United States.

Actually, the overwhelming evidence is that circucision does not prevent diseases and various hysterias of the moment used to promote it(masturbation, mental illness, blindness.....) to a degree that warrants it's routine use. Hence it not being recommended, except to treat highly specific conditions, by any national medical organizations. The new information is derived from several relatively small studies conducted in far different circustances (ie. Africa whre the preponderance of transmission is heterosexual relations). I too hate it when people use snippets of science to promote their agendas.

Dave

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Wear a fucking condom.

9. ShowOff

ShowOff Member

What dumbass said that circumcision stops HIV? I dont think Ive ever heard this theory in my life!

10. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Good observation.

11. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Wow. Just because YOU haven't heard of a public health intervention, or scientific studies on a certain subject, make people who do know something about it and work in the field DUMBASSES? God Bless America.

Look, I'm not getting into a flame war about this so I'm stepping off this thread. Suffice it to say, I stand by my original post about the most current academic and scientific literature on the subject. There are a ton of threads on this subject in which other medical professionals (aka DUMBASSES) have posted and tried to impart information. For that, they've been skewered. Anyway, I dig guys with foreskin.

12. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    The ONLY thing circumsision prevents is the VERY VERY rare penile cancer. Only uncircumcised men contract this and they don't know why. (annual incidence of 1-2 per 100,000 men, which translates into 1400 cases yearly).

MORE INFO

13. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I also like them for "sucking!" :biggrin1:

14. ShowOff

ShowOff Member

Yes, step away now before you embarrass yourself anymore. I dont care how educated they are, if someone says that, "if you have the extra skin on your penis removed its impossible for you to get HIV", then yes, they are a dumbass.

15. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

I'm not embarrassed about my education or expertise in my field. No worries, bro.

Here's an article about it. You are free to disagree with the findings of the research, but in order not to embarrass yourself, you might want to read up a bit more about something before you call people names.

You might also check out these studies:
    1. Newell, Marie-Lousie; Till Bärnighausen (February 24, 2007). "Male circumcision to cut HIV risk in the general population" (PDF). The Lancet 369 (9562): 617–619.
    2. Bailey, Robert C; Stephen Moses, Corette B Parker, Kawango Agot, Ian Maclean, John N Krieger, Carolyn F M Williams, Richard T Campbell, Jeckoniah O Ndinya-Achola (February 24, 2007). "Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trial" (PDF). The Lancet 369 (9562): 643–656.
    3. Gray, Ronald H; Godfrey Kigozi, David Serwadda, Frederick Makumbi, Stephen Watya, Fred Nalugoda, Noah Kiwanuka, Lawrence H Moulton, Mohammad A Chaudhary, Michael Z Chen, Nelson K Sewankambo, Fred Wabwire-Mangen, Melanie C Bacon, Carolyn F M Williams, Pius Opendi, Steven J Reynolds, Oliver Laeyendecker, Thomas C Quinn, Maria J Wawer (February 24, 2007). "Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trial" (PDF). The Lancet 369 (9562): 657–666
    Circumcision Urged in Curbing AIDS Spread

By MERAIAH FOLEY, Associated Press Writer

(AP) -- A U.S. health expert urged governments worldwide Tuesday to endorse circumcision to slow the spread of HIV, saying men without the procedure have a greater risk of contracting the virus from infected female partners.

Experts at an AIDS conference in Sydney also warned that HIV infection rates were rising among men who have sex with men in developing countries because of discrimination and lack of access to health services.

The World Health Organization says male circumcision reduces the risk of female-to-male transmission of the disease by around 60 percent. But only 30 percent of men worldwide have had the procedure, mostly in countries where it is common for religious or health reasons.

Robert Bailey, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Illinois, said studies in Africa showed that uncircumcised men were 2 1/2 times more likely to contract HIV from infected female partners, though many health officials were still unclear about its benefits.

"If we had a vaccine that was 60 percent protective, we would be very happy and we would be rolling it out as fast as we can," Bailey told reporters at an International AIDS Society Conference in Sydney, Australia.

"The next step is to get the leaders of countries to actually come up with policy statements endorsing the practice," said Bailey, who has conducted circumcision-related studies in Africa and the United States.

Without local support, international agencies would be unlikely to encourage the procedure to avoid being seen as imposing foreign cultures or values, he said.

Circumcision, the removal of the foreskin from the penis, has long been suspected of reducing men's susceptibility to HIV infection because the skin cells in the foreskin are especially vulnerable to the virus.

In March, the WHO urged heterosexual men to undergo the procedure because of compelling evidence that it reduces their risk of getting the disease. However, it cautioned that male circumcision is not a complete protection against HIV, and said men should still use condoms and take other precautions such as abstinence, delaying the start of sexual activity and reducing the number of sexual partners.

"Circumcision could drive the epidemic to a declining state toward extinction," Bailey said. "We must make safe, affordable, voluntary circumcision available now."

Bailey also called on international agencies to ramp up funding for circumcision in countries hardest-hit by the epidemic.

Michel Kazatchkine, the executive director of the Global fund, a leading international health agency, also called for increased funding.

"I believe that the evidence is overwhelming for the efficacy of circumcision," Kazatchkine told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the meeting. "And if countries come to us ... I see no reason at all why we wouldn't fund that."

Kazatchkine said his organization had not yet received any requests for funding for circumcision, and noted that the WHO advice on the topic was only released in March.

Also at the conference, a leading American AIDS research group said HIV infection rates among men who have sex with men were rising in Africa, Asia and Latin America, citing figures from UNAIDS.

Studies also show that less than 5 percent of that group have access to HIV-related health care, the American Foundation for AIDS Research, or amfAR, said.

"This is a massive failure of the HIV/AIDS response globally and I think one that needs to be addressed," said Kevin Frost, amFAR's chief executive officer.

In Kenya, around 40 percent of men who have sex with men are estimated to be HIV positive, compared to a 6 percent rate in the country's overall population, amFAR said. In Senegal, nearly 22 percent are believed to be infected, compared to less than 1 percent of the general population.

In Uruguay and Mexico, 21 percent and 15 percent are estimated to have the disease.

Under an initiative launched at the AIDS Society Conference, amFAR will seek to raise $3 million in the next three years to provide grants for AIDS education and research among men who have homosexual sex in developing countries.

16. SteveHd

Gold Member

Gentlemen, let's not get into a sniping event. The circ. threads degenerate into that much too often. Please stay focused on topic.

The African "studies" have been discussed in two other threads. We don't need to discuss them again in this thread.

17. B_Hung Muscle

B_Hung Muscle New Member

Steve, what happened in Africa was a study as much as the one you want to discuss, so no need for the quotation marks. Thanks.

The disparity could be attributable to any number of factors including the latest thinking of "concurrent sexual relations" vs "serial monogamy."

18. frizzle

Gold Member

Circumsion doesn't stop HIV but circumsion can help prevent STIs as there is less chance of catching one. Although you should never stop using contraception to fully fight off STIs.

19. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Contraception does not "fight" STIs. It's used to prevent pregnancy. The Pill, IUDs, etc etc offer no protection against any sexually transmitted diseases/infections.

Condoms, properly used, are the best protection against HIV when engaging in anal and/or vaginal sex (barring abstinence).

20. SteveHd

Gold Member

frizzle, the medical profession has claimed that circumcision would prevent masturbation, "consumption," prostate cancer, and many other maladies. To date, none of their prevention claims have withstood the test of time.

Draft saved Draft deleted