Circumcision - just had my pre assesment

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by James89, Jan 8, 2010.

1. James89

James89 Active Member

Albums:
    Hey Guys

Ive been worried about my penis for a very long time and i mean years. I finally picked up the courage to see my GP who refered to Hospital. The Doctor checked me and said he thought i should get circumcised. Ive read loads of posts of negative opinion towards circumcision and an now really confused. I said i wanted to think about it but he said well i will add you to the list and you can take yourself off. I had a second appointment (the pre assesment) where general health was checked and the procedure was explained.

I'm really confused about having it done. Do i trust the doctor as so many people on here say you shouldn't.

This all started when was was really small possibly age 6 my parents were worried and took me to hospital. I vaguely remember this but he told me i should stretch the foreskin. After this date it wasn't discussed with my parents at all. At this age i was rather confused and growing up it was always an issue probably why when i get a girfriend it always ends up ending before anything actually happends and yes im a 20yr old virgin. Its completley mixed up my life i lack confidence and arn't really sure who i am.

Has anyone had an adult circumcision? How long was recovery... What the hell do i tell work?

Thanks for ready my story!

2. alan_b

alan_b Member

I had it done about 4 months ago now, aged 21

Best thing I have done, looks better, feels better etc

Its usually done under general anisthetic, so nothing to worry about there. I had peroids of discomfort over the following 3 weeks, but was able to wank after one. Keeping it wrapped up in a breathable bandage and wearing briefs is the best until the stitches come out. Some people may find something better themselves though, as everyone is different.

And you tell work that your having an op, you are not obliged to tell them what it is.

3. Manjebac

Manjebac New Member

My opinion is: If the doctor told you that it is suposed to be done, than you should listen to him, not the people on the internet.
    Im uncut, but i think you should do it.

4. McMM12345

McMM12345 Active Member

Albums:
    I had it done last August. I REALLY didnt want it to be done but it had to be, at first walking will be hard as you will be so sensitive... but over time you will come to accept it and it will be a part of you. Personally if I could have avoided circumcision I would have because I preferred it that way (more sensitive, moist, easier to clean (you just have to clean more often)) but at the end of the day if this needs to be done it needs to be done.

After surgery you're going to be in minor pain but it'll pass. Best of luck with your procedure.

5. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

James, you don't say exactly what is wrong with your penis. It looks like a fine dick to me. Twenty year old virgin is not uncommon. Not sure how getting part of your dick cut off will change or influence that.

6. averagealbion

averagealbion New Member

I had to have a circumcision aged 19 because of phimosis (tight foreskin). I went to see a doc and thats what he recommended. The operation was not so bad - felt very shabby for a couple of days after. No wanking for 3 weeks. Full recovery in just over a month. I agree with the guy above -really, listen to the doc. The internet is full of mumbo jumbo quasi-medical advice coming mainly not from experts but from people trying to sell you a quick fix. Go through all possible alternatives with the doc. Maybe its not necessary if more conservative treatments are available first, but, of course you need patience for those. And for me not trying some other treatments is I think my only regret now (im 22 now, so it was 3 years ago). As for what its like to be circumcised, well I wish i'd had it before given my years of trouble and confusion in my teens. The whole thing about reduced sensitivity is rubbish in my opinion. But do be prepared to have to by lots of lube.
    Good luck, and I hope you can source some good advice from others.

7. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Factored with age it is not rubbish. I'm glad you solved your current problem, but you may have started a new one that will manifest in your thirties or forties.

8. D_lkjhgfdsa1234

D_lkjhgfdsa1234 New Member

Never really had a choice on this one but I was cut as an infant and it causes tight skin and curving to this day. The doctor told me to do the opposite which is stretch the shaft skin until it loosens.
    About the virginity thing, it is not because you are uncircumcised. I did not actually penetrate a girl until I was 25 because sex with a cut cock requires lots more lube because it is dryer and less movement of skin to relieve the dryness. It was easier to get a girl to do oral though as an uncut friend was always required to go to the bathroom to wash it before the girl would even put it in her mouth. Girls had no problem in my teenage years giving me head with the cut cock. My friend did get to penetrate the girl earlier with oral because they went to her house, cleaned up, and had sex. He lost his virginity at 17 AND that was his first blowjob. I got oral earlier but had sex later being cut.
    Now fast forward to my thirties, the head on my cock became less sensitive than my teenage years and sex with a condom no longer satisfies me. My same friend still enjoys sex with condom and it is true his cockhead is more sensitive and still has a pinkish glow that mine lacks. I looked at your pic and it doesn't look like you have anything wrong with it. Besides, you are in the UK and uncut cocks are more the norm there. If they are more normal in the UK, you will have more chance getting laid than with a cut cock.
    Don't forget that doctors also want to make extra money and have no problem recommending circumcision just to make a few extra hundred dollars. They keep you alive so you can go back to them and give them a paycheck.

#8 D_lkjhgfdsa1234, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. vindicator

vindicator Member

Albums:
    I think the key here is you shouldnt trust ONE persons opinion, even if it is a doctor. For any procedure it is always recommended to get a second opinion. Maybe you should have a consultation with another doctor?

Maybe you can explain or show in a pic what exactly is wrong? Skin doesnt go back? Painful? Its hard to tell the problem from your pic.

There are a lot of knowledgable and professional people here who can help offer advice no matter what your decision is. People should be here to help support you.

If you do decide to get circumcised, make sure to do your homework on the different types and talk about it with the doctor. In the UK they seem to like to remove nearly all of the foreskin and frenum which are some of the most sensitive parts, which basicaly leaves you with the glands and shaft skin. Not the kind of cut i would want. The style will ultimately determine how happy you will be and how much senstivity will be lost or gained.

My question to you is, do YOU want to be circumcised? Or only as a last resort? If you want to keep your foreskin but correct the problem you should tell the doctors you want to try all other options before being cut. Remember, once its gone its gone forever. You will not have the opportunity to undo it if you find you made the wrong decision.

10. James89

James89 Active Member

Albums:
    Thanks for your messages guys. I think i was panaking a bit when i opened this thread.

Yes the doctor said ive got phimosis im not sure they get paid extra here in the UK.

Alan_B/mrlargeone you have made me feel alot better about the whole thing. Thanks.

Ive just got to think that this is something that has to be done and get it over and done with. I kinda hopeing it will boost my confidence so i can loose it! Time will tell...

With work ive told them i just need time off for Hospital but its the questions from colleges that i dont think i can answer! How comes youve had 3 weeks off!

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think listen to the Doc, man. You'll be able to stop worrying, and should feel better too.

I don't think being cut will make any difference to getting laid - I've got cut and uncut mates, and it doesnt seem to matter.

Plus, I think we all lose a bit of sensitivity in our 30s anyway, unfortunately. I have and I'm not circumcised (admittedly, I'm on meds so that may be something to do with it).

Good luck, and try not to worry too much - doesn't really matter either way. ;)

PS: It does look a bit tight, btw. Looks smooth at the end - so maybe less room to stretch over the head.

#11 Joll, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  12. Jason

Gold Member

SUGGESTION - get a fleshlight. If everything works fine (and it will) what are you worrying about?

Lots of guys have a tight foreskin. It is only a problem if it is a problem. Cocks are exceptionally variable in how they look. You might be at the tight end of the spectrum, but so what?

If you go to a doctor in the UK saying you think you have a problem and demonstrating some worry about it they will recommend circumcision. It is like the patient who presents to a doctor with a harmless mole. If the patient says it is worrying them and they fear it is cancer the doctor will recommend removal - not because it is medically necessary but because the patient's anxiety makes a case for removal.

13. James89

James89 Active Member

Albums:
    vindicator the issue is i cant pull the forskin back when erect. Doctor said it would cause discomfort during sex. I will try and upload a picture at some point.

Thats a good question he just said they would remove the foreskin i have no specifics.

I might be wrong but i get the feeling in the UK you get the standard treatment for free (nhs), if you want to be specific you have to go pay (private). Maybe someone will have the answer.

14. Jason

Gold Member

The NHS treats medical problems - with some exceptions it doesn't treat cosmetic issues. For a non-urgent procedure you might want to consider your local BUPA or Nuffield hospital (easy to find on the web and I guess not so very expensive for something like this). You could certainly get a private consultation at a modest price, which would in effect be a second opinion.

I wonder if your doctor has identified your medical problem as being:
    1) phimosis
    2) your concern about phimosis
    If (2) of course he will recommend circumcision. He doesn't want you back in a few months with anxiety, stress or similar. If (1) there may or may not be a need to circumcise. If you keep getting infections under your foreskin you probably need it - if not you probably don't. Circumcision for phimosis is primarily a treatment for infection.

15. Jason

Gold Member

I doubt it. Get a fleshlight and find out.

16. italianb90

italianb90 Member

Albums:
    Agree - Well said.

17. onewatcher

onewatcher Active Member

Albums:
    Discuss with the physician about leaving a good amount of skin and frenulum. Best of both worlds. I was cut as an infant, but most times look uncut.

18. D_Perranzabuloe Sexbone

D_Perranzabuloe Sexbone Account Disabled

Does your penis/foreskin hurt when you masturbate? I would definitely get a 2nd and 3rd opinion about circumcision. This is a HUGE decision and you can't change it once you go through with it.....

19. D_Perranzabuloe Sexbone

D_Perranzabuloe Sexbone Account Disabled

20. monet

monet New Member

Here is the simple breakdown of how it went and how it is. I was circumcised at 26, best thing I did and am not regretting one bit. I did not have any issues as in phimosis or anything. The foreskin was fine, but I did not feel fully comfortable in it--looks-wise, hygiene wise, convenience wise, sex satisification wise, etc. This should cover most of your concerns.

Circumcision is a BIG decision and something you must research and think about a great deal before you finalize your decision. I did it before I, for many years, did not like the foreskin for these reasons:

1) Not attractive (anyone who thinks an uncut penis looks better than cut just is in denial. The majority of people find cut to be better looking, especially American girls). The way the head is covered does not give it an appealing look.
    2) Easy cleaning (the foreskin can get smelly if you don't really take care of it well. I take like 1-3 showers a day but still feel dirty, especially after peeing because residue pee does get trapped under the foreskin). During the hot, humid summer season, it gets very damp down there! You sweat a bit more. If you don't trim your pubic hairs, when you roll the foreskin back to piss your hairs sometimes gets trapped in the foreskin as it rolls back, so that hurts and sucks. Just some of the reasons.
    3) Girls seem to prefer it and I like the feel of being cut more. I almost don't remember living 26 years uncut.
    4) It is easier to PE if you stretch or use some devices. PUMPING is much better without a foreskin as with the foreskin, the donut effect is just the ugliest thing!
    5) Major reason is SEX! Although the foreskin keeps the head sensitive, I found it actually getting in the way of good sex because of the friction. The foreskin rolls back and forth and that minimizes your feel of the girl's mouth or vagina. You can hold the foreskin back, I guess, but that isn't really all that great. But this is preference so you decide. I hated it. The way I think of it is, think of a long sleeve shirt as the foreskin. If you take the other hand and stroke that arm, you will notice the friction of the sleeve and how it rolls back and forth. Now roll that sleeve back and stroke it the same way, you will notice how you can feel the knuckles, the wrists, the forearm, everything! That's the difference between foreskin vs. no foreskin.

NOW, sensitivity is an issue!

Here are some of the negatives I do notice though. Read carefully!

a) There is definitely less sensitivity once your foreskin is gone since a lot of nerves are lost. However, you still have your glans and a little area of skin around it which is still sensitive. But, sex is different because there is no friction (sleeve analogy). My orgasms are not as powerful, but I still prefer it now than before. This is all preference, however. I personally like it lots more...I feel freer and the rolling/gliding of the foreskin was a nuisance to me. It kept the head sensitive for sure and lots of nerves sensitive when rolled back, but wasn't worth the bad sex experiences I had.

b) Masturbation was better when I HAD the foreskin though. Jelqing seemed to be easier with the foreskin too.

c) There is risk to the procedure, but in terms of surgery, this is the easiest of surgeries. All it is is cutting aways some skin and suturing it back together. Took less than 30 minutes. And it did not hurt. IMPORTANT: I wish I asked my urologist more questions before the procedure!!!! He was the type of doc that has done the procedure over "thousands" of times, director of the Urology department, etc...who seemed to just breezed through the initial diagnosis and I felt intimidated to ask any questions. DO NOT BE LIKE THAT! Ask as much as you want. It's your body!

My procedure went well and it looks pretty good! But, I wish I had inquired about it further. For instance I wanted to see if he could do it differently from the technique he used which is the "guided forcep" which is how they circumcise babies--the foreskin is pulled out and cut, then sutured to the shaft skin. That was how mine was done. The negative of this is that you do lose that sensitivity of the foreskin that has developed since you've been a baby!

I wish I asked about another technique "Sleeve Resection" where the foreskin is pulled foreward, then two circular incisions are made at the shaft and removed and sutured back so you will have ALL or MOST of that foreskin nerves still with you!!!!! Amazing! You lose only shaft skin which isn't really sensitive. This is a much hard procedure, but not really difficult if you think of it. I wish I inquired about this! Here is an article that discusses it!

How do you perform an adult circumcision? - By Daniel Engber - Slate Magazine

This is just an overview of the process. I have no regrets about it and much prefer it now because it looks better (I'm not nervous about walking around in the steam room at the gym), it feels much free-er and I don't have to roll my foreskin back to keep it from sweating (Oh, if you get turned on and get that "drool" affect, like when a girl teases you, well that drool gets trapped in the foreskin too and that's uncomfortable).

These are the things and concerns that come to mind. Feel free to ask me questions (PM) if you like and I will help as much as I can. I wish I saved those pre and post surgery pictures. I kind of figured I was starting anew so I deleted them from hard drive--not too bright. :(

Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted