Circumcision may prevent sex related penile injuries

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by RedScrotum, Jun 8, 2010.

1. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only proven method of HIV prevention, barring abstinence, in the consistent and correct use of condoms during intercourse or limiting one's sexual repertoire to frot and mutual masturbation.

This has been dealt with here in other threads: it's an old story. My circumcision didn't prevent me from infection, nor the scores of American heterosexual men whom I met via AIDSmeds.com, an online HIV support and information website.

3. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was amazed at the number of men who reported penis injuries....something like 48% in the prior couple months...I can't ever remember injuring my penis, since the first and only time i got it stuck in my zipper....i learned quickly not to do that again.

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    These people are not brilliant.
    I'm curious how they explain the link between washing afterward and a reduction of injuries sustained during sex. I'd like to see the documentation for washing off scrapes, cuts and bruises. Retroactive prevention? Neat stuff.

Of course circumcision will prevent some injuries, it's very difficult to tear the foreskin or frenulum if you no longer have either. On the flip side the lack of foreskin results in the skin being tighter on the erect cock which would actually increase the likelihood of abrasions.

5. sexton099

sexton099 Active Member

Albums:
    Yeah, I also hear god will like you more if you cut off the end of your willy.

You're also less likely to jam your pinky toe on chair legs if you cut it off too.

6. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

Rubbish! Does it also give you cheaper medical insurance, supermarket line fast tracking, and a 10% discount at the deli?

7. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't forget whiter teeth.

8. gymfresh

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

The data are (1) self-reporting and (2) derived from the same mass circumcision programs that were instituted based on the 3 African RCTs.

Of course the circumcised group is going to report less injury. They're still getting adjusted to having just had surgery on their dicks, as well as the new sensations.

Ironically, though, there are zero mentions in the published literature of physician-observed penile cuts and microabrasions from sex with a mobile foreskin, though there have been published reports of such penile skin compromises among circumcised men. Makes sense, as there's less mobile tissue.

9. Snozzle

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    2/3 of the men reported penile injuries in the 6 months before the study. What were they doing? One possibility is "dry sex" - the women putting astringent herbs in their hoohaas.

This fell to 42% (2/5) in the six months after the study began, even without circumcision - the "Hawthorne effect": just going in a study brings on changes.

Among the circumcised men it fell to 31% (1/3). Maybe being circumcised makes you less likely to report (other) injury.

The difference, 11% or 1/9 is the only difference that can be attributed to circumcision, so 8 out of every 9 circumcisions to prevent (other) penile injury would be wasted.

And that assumes, as gymfresh points out, that self-report, of a minor event up to six months earlier, is accurate.

This is yet another study from the same small group of researchers (in this case, Bailey) determined to prove that circumcising is good for everything and harms nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted