Circumcision Urged in Curbing AIDS Spread

iruka

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This article is right on. Circumcision cuts the risk of HIV infection and is now recommended by the WHO.

If you seriously think that this has any basis in medical fact then you are deluded.

HIV (or any other virus) transmission routes are much more complex.

To advocate that circumcision enables safe sex is grossly irresponsible.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, if you cut your whole penis off, you definitely wouldn't have to worry about HIV.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, if you cut your whole penis off, you definitely wouldn't have to worry about HIV.
Well, that's a little drastic. As the OP has told us, the foreskin is the only transmission route. Silly us for believing all those earlier reports of transmission by body fluids. Wanna share a needle? We're safe!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't think it's drastic! It would stop all sexual transmissions! Yea Matthew! He found a solution!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
herefordboy, in a decade or two it will be known to all that circumcision has nothing to do with HIV nor its transmission. Be patient.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Now, I'm gonna play along for a moment.... You know that cum/precum/blood all spread HIV, correct? Being cut doesn't make you any safer.

Being cut might make you safer. Of course all of those things contain pre cum, but according to the research and I quote:

"Scientists believe the procedure helps protect men from HIV because the foreskin contains langerhans cells that are especially vulnerable to invasion by the virus. There is no evidence so far that circumcision protects women from HIV directly."

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Being cut might make you safer. Of course all of those things contain pre cum, but according to the research and I quote:

"Scientists believe the procedure helps protect men from HIV because the foreskin contains langerhans cells that are especially vulnerable to invasion by the virus. There is no evidence so far that circumcision protects women from HIV directly."

Noooo, the problem is anyone can do something and call it research and surely someone will publish it as such.

“I just drank a glass of milk and I feel fine, therefore everyone can drink milk and feel fine.”

There’s my research, but is it reasonable or might I have a bias such as the fact I like milk?

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I wish to complement Danerain, Pye, and SpoiledPrincess for discussing something enormously more relevant than those contrived African studies. Thank you.

No prob, at some point you just have to slap your dick on the table so we don't have to restart something that never got finished:wink:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

So you are under the impression that circumcision provides greater HIV protection than wearing a condom does?

Also, langerhans cells are also present in vaginal mucosa. Should women have the lining of the vagina surgically removed to prevent HIV infection?

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So you are under the impression that circumcision provides greater HIV protection than wearing a condom does?

Also, langerhans cells are also present in vaginal mucosa. Should women have the lining of the vagina surgically removed to prevent HIV infection?

I don't know if it provides greater protection, but condoms fail, so there you go. What these reports are stating is what we've heard before about the foreskin being more vulnerable to the virus. In a perfect world everyone would be monogamous but that's not reality. In a perfect world everyone would use a condom 100% of the time and it would never break or fail, but that too is not reality.

Scientists are trying everything they can to try to curb the spread of HIV in Africa and other places. According to one of the articles "About 4,000 men are infected with HIV every day in sub-Saharan Africa, including 3,000 who are uncircumcised. Rates are highest in countries like Botswana, where circumcision is rare."

Can you imagine if that were happening here in the US or the UK? 4000 men a day being infected on a daily basis. That's a mind boggling number.

And your other comment about vaginal mucosa is ridiculous.

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Scientists are trying everything they can to try to curb the spread of HIV in Africa and other places. According to one of the articles "About 4,000 men are infected with HIV every day in sub-Saharan Africa, including 3,000 who are uncircumcised. Rates are highest in countries like Botswana, where circumcision is rare."

Can you imagine if that were happening here in the US or the UK? 4000 men a day being infected on a daily basis. That's a mind boggling number.

How about EDUCATION? The people in these countries (at least some of them) believe that they can escape the disease by having unprotected sex with a virgin.

Instead of extolling the virtues of mutilating the penis how about scientists find a way to educate these people?

But then again..if they perform penectomies I'm sure that will also reduce the spread of the disease. Has anyone seen a study how HIV risk in persons who have had their penis removed? What are the statistics? What about those that have had their anal cavities replaced with a bicycle innertube? Does anyone think that an implant such as that would have value?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And your other comment about vaginal mucosa is ridiculous.
Right. Whatever.

You still have not addressed this question: If (in the industrialized world) the US has the highest circumcision rate, how does it also still have the highest HIV infection rate? Why are these circumcisions NOT protecting US men the same way it does African men?

Hunt3ed

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I live on the south coast of Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa. The Local Zulu Ritual to man hood is male circumcision at their comming of age. This varies in individual to individual from any where between 8 and 16 years of age, depending on whether thier family and piers consider them old enough and stroing enough to undergo the ritual. Suprisingly The HIV infection rate in KZN is the highest in Southern Africa. Local mortuaries have all increased in capacity ten fold in the last five years and there still isn't enough room. Families are being charged by the hour, for the cold storage of thier loved ones. 60 percent of our local population are infected by HIV, of which twelve percent have full blown aids. Death certificates indicate only the actual cause of death, TB, Pnumonia, dihorea etc. as stigma attached to having died of HIV/AIDs is strong.

Who ever wrote the report that Circumcision reduces the infection rate by up to 2.5 times, clearly did not cary out any field research, or apply any basic scientific research techniques, in making this rather profound annoucement. I can only say that I now bow humbly, before such complete and utter insane idiots. If this is the way that educated and responsible members of the medical fraternaty wish to make thier mark on the world, God help Africa, because the quacks sure as hell won't with these kind of attitudes.

I note too with interest that American Blacks , searching for thier roots in africa, often use South Africa as a staging point for that quest, often these "roots" search Holidays are nothing more than sex Safaris. Wise up guys cum to Africa, leave with Aid(s)!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hunt3ed, thank you for your regional perspective.

A frequently quoted study was based in the township of Orange Farm S.A. It was lead by Bertran Auvert a Frenchman. He's stated publicly on-the-record that he's pro-circumcision. I don't think that will surprise you.

The other oft-quoted study, lead by the NIH a U.S. government agency, had Robert Bailey as one of the lead investigators. He also is pro-circumcision and has written papers in support of it. That also may not surprise you.

I'm confident both studies will be discredited someday. I'm afraid it will take a decade or two for that to happen. There's a very powerful vested interest in the First World that wishes to validate a Bronze Age blood ritual. It appears to me they don't give a Tinker's Damn about the well being of Africa. I'm afraid things will get worse down there before they get better. Take care.