Cities with reputations too big.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mephistopheles, May 7, 2011.

1. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    A lot of people dream of going to cities and other places like that and sometimes they aren't what we expect, or maybe they are but you didn't enjoy it like you thought you would.

What are some cities that you always heard all these great things about and didn't turn out so great?

Personally:

For a City with so many groovy songs about it I think New Orleans falls way too short of any expectations.

I lived there for quite a while and I don't think I hated living anywhere else more.

After being there for 6 months I got really tired of looking at the 100s of abandoned houses and the "plastic tits" feeling the rest of the town had to offer was nothing but a cheap thrill.

("Plastic Tits" is the only term I can think of to describe New Orleans... Kind of like Vegas, but cheaper, smaller and rattier)

There were things I enjoyed yeah, but I didn't enjoy them enough to write a song about it.

**I'm not trying to insult anyone's hometown or anything, it's all opinion.**

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I have not been to New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina so I'm sure it was difficult to live there on an emotional level as well as visually. I've been to New Orleans many times and always enjoyed my time there but would never have wanted to live there. I can say the same for Las Vegas, I love it for about three days and I'm ready to leave.

I'm having a difficult time trying to think of a city that I did not like; almost everyplace I've been in the world had it pros and cons. Having said that my favorite vacations are typically out of the way places like ski resorts.

3. affarsbitrade

affarsbitrade Active Member

As gay men what do you guys think of Fort Lauderdale? I'm considering a year-long working holiday in the States and thought I'd do 6 months in NYC (I took a vacation there and loved it) and then 6 months somewhere warmer. Would you recommend Florida or California?

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

#4 nudeyorker, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. exwhyzee

Gold Member

I have such low, or "non" -expectations of places that I am rarely disappointed. In fact, sometimes I'm overimpressed. Almost all reports had Mexico City as a dump, and I thought it was fantastic. I always knew Cape Town would be amazing, but it was more amazing than I had imagined. Shanghai's skyscrapers were taller than I had imagined, and Zagreb was much more interesting than I had imagined.

I had always heard that Houston was a big city, and it was more bland and less planned than I had imagined. I have never been to Vegas, but I have very low expectations of that city. As long as a city has a sense of authenticity and distinctive cuture, I'm happy.

6. leapyear

leapyear Member

Today's FT has a great article on this very topic:
    FT.com / House & Home - Liveable v lovable

One of the non contenders (and sooo true IMO) -

Dubai

'Everything that could go wrong with a city does here. It is, in fact, a place with no “here”. A succession of malls, highways, hotels and hideous towers, it has spent its history announcing its arrival but hasn’t a clue what to do when it gets there.'

Draft saved Draft deleted