City or Country?

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi guys ( I am having a posting frenzy today)

I have a life dilemea.

I am a restless soul, I like change and excitement. My long suffering husband is a earthy man who likes cookies and comfy.

We live in a tropical area close to beaches and bays, although is is mostly suburbia. We have a great house which we both love and the area is very scenic. I am however surrounded by nosey elderly neighbours and a small intimate community.

I crave the action and pace of living in the city ( or very close to it) I sometimes feel too exposed in the burbs and I enjoy the anonimity of city life.

Tell me reasons to hate the city life, is it over rated, or do you love living in the city?

xx

Honey

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I grew up in the country and never liked it. Oh, I did like having the space to roam around in (I was a very active child), but I wanted more excitement and things to do. Plus, I don't know that all rural communities are this way, but the one I grew up in was very narrow-minded and I was bullied a lot, even by teachers! :eek:

I've lived in two cities and I much prefer the city. I like San Antonio better than Indianapolis, partly because of the variety of social activities here that Indianapolis didn't have, and partly because of the mild winters here.

RupinX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi guys ( I am having a posting frenzy today)

I have a life dilemea.

I am a restless soul, I like change and excitement. My long suffering husband is a earthy man who likes cookies and comfy.

We live in a tropical area close to beaches and bays, although is is mostly suburbia. We have a great house which we both love and the area is very scenic. I am however surrounded by nosey elderly neighbours and a small intimate community.

I crave the action and pace of living in the city ( or very close to it) I sometimes feel too exposed in the burbs and I enjoy the anonimity of city life.

Tell me reasons to hate the city life, is it over rated, or do you love living in the city?

xx

Honey

I live in the biggest city in the world (at least just read that at least a few days ago), and honestly, I love it. Of course it depends on the person, but for me, I like knowing that there is lively energy around me at all times. I also like knowing that there is something to do 24 hours a day. If I get tired of the hussle of the city, I can always "get away" for a few days or a week to the beach or somewhere scenic, but not to live. I would be craving
excitement of the city too much!

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to live in the city and now I live in suburbs. The city was good for an exciting life but it was also a high crime area. The suburbs I live in now have less people to hang around but it is calm and scenic. i guess it really depends on which one you like more. Plus where I lived at in the city we didn't have a yard so that meant no pool, no dogs, no basketball hoop or anything like that. Also in the city I lived in a small house cost as much as the one I live in now which is 4 bdr. 2 1/2 bath. The old house I lived in was 2 bdr. 1 bath. and only about 10 grand cheaper than the house I live in now.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I have a dilemma over this myself.

I was born and raised in a capital city - not the biggest in the world by a long shot - but all the same, a capital city with everything that goes with that. I now live in the back of beyond (not quite the arsehole of nowhere, but we have a view of it).

I love both - when I'm in the country I miss the city - I miss being able to get what I want when I want, meeting people, shops, even the noise. When I'm in the city I miss the calm, the blackness of the night, the smells, the privacy.

Suburbia is hell - you have the worst of both worlds and the best of neither.

I can't really offer advice - having had both you will miss which ever one you don't have. Sorry.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK...suburbia is different from country. I could see myself living in the suburbs. I hope never to have to live in a rural area or small town again!

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The things is - My oldest two kids are 18 and 16, (one has finished school and the other is in his final year )- are both reluctant to kmove. If we move to the city, it would be without there blessing as they both do not want any change. The youngest one is too young to care.

I am smack in the middle of a loving happy family:smile: , where I am the only one wanting to change where I live.:rolleyes:

I have been at this restless place for years, not liking suburbia ( don't get me wrong , where I live is VERY idyllic for many!) and am wondering whether or not to follow my longing and upheave everyone, or stay stuck in the burbs for a few more years.........but then I will be too old to enjoy the noise:biggrin1:

x Honey

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honey
I used to live right in the centre of town.It was great being so close to everything but eventually I got fed up of the constant noise and I felt the pollution from all the heavy traffic wasn't good for my health.
I'm a couple of miles away from there now and I'd never move back.
I don't have to put up with nosy neighbours though.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
City life for me, I couldn't bear to be in the country for longer than a few weeks at a time, I'd go stir crazy. I don't have that much sense in the country anyway and one time during a walk with a friend stood in cow shit running away from this bull that was going to attack us, it turned out to be a friendly but inquisitive cow.
I understand your feeling about your kids, our kids are always our kids, but I think there comes a time when your feelings deserve to be put on a parr with theirs, you've done the good mummy thing all their lives, they're largely adults now and the time to think of yourself a bit more has arrived, I'm planning moving and although my kids are older than yours if they'd been the same age I'd have told them the same thing, 'you'll always have a home with me, but where that home is is my choice, and your choice is whether to take advantage of that or find your own place.'

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Spoiled princess - Thanks, you have given me a lot of good advice today - I feel like saying something very simular to my older kids, but I have that nagging guilt about creating so much termoil if only to satisfy myself.

It would be a lot easier if hubby felt the need for excitiment too. I think life living with me wears him out and he is quite happy to check out.

He is not opposed to the idea, he is just saying wait 5 years. I just dont know if I can wait another 5 years living here.

xx
Honey

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I like both.

I love the time I've spent in Chicago(there's always something to do, anytime of day or night) but also i would like a nice quiet house out in ireland or scotland.

In the country it would just be smitty and i, and our pets, and no annoying, loudmouthed people. But sometimes those loudmouths are good, like when they use those mouths to yell and sceam at our concerts.

Both are good in my opinion, but as a musician I'd have to say I'd choose the city, it's a hell of a lot easier to get shows when you live near where you would play.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They've had however many years in the country, now it's their turn for them to go along with what you want. As a mum you're going to feel guilty whatever you do you know that :)

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Spoiled princess -
It would be a lot easier if hubby felt the need for excitiment too. I think life living with me wears him out and he is quite happy to check out. WildHoney

I can't say that I understand the need for the big or even small city life but it sounds like you need to get out of the house once in awhile for a night on the town.

If you move to the city you may regret it at some point, so keep your options open if possible.

I consider suburbia city living, slightly subdued from downtown maybe but you still have neighgors looking into your backyard and the front lawn is equally under observation, and many housing developments have covenants that would make a country boy cringe.

We have 29 acres of oak, cedar and pines; dark skies, seasonal creek, granite boulders and a very small meadow with seasonal spring. When we moved here from Montana it took awhile for us to get used to the concept of having neighbors, we live at the end of 2 miles of dirt road, we are finally buying an old Ford diesel pickup with a snowplow mounted on it. Ideally we would live in the middle of at least 4 square miles of wilderness.

Who needs bling, or traffic, city noises or prying neighbors. Well if you do you can go visit the big city and then come home.

We have peace and solitude and the smell of pines on gentle breezes.

"In wildness is the preservation of the world." Henry David Thoreau

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Through a series of events, rather than a deliberate plan, we are now living just outside a small city (80,000) with a relatively large university. To me it seems like the best of both worlds. There's enough to do in town yet, ten miles away, we have three acres, a view of the valley and mountain range, lots of wildlife (unforunately including rattlesnakes), neighbors on one side of the house who provide some security and no one for about eight miles on back side of the house. I agree, suburbia is the worst of both.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My lifetime theme song is...
I just adore a penhouse view...darling I love you, but give me Park Avenue!
That said...I like going to quiet country places and beaches for vacation, and when all is said and done...I'm retiring in either Hawaii, Palm Springs or Scottsdale!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The suburbs can me safe, predictable and pleasantly boring. Life is easier and cheaper in the suburbs for sure. There is a limited range of people you meet and interact with, and limited opportunity for new experiences which I have found stiffling and unbearable even as a kid growing up in one.

I live in an urban setting and enjoy eating out and the cultural activites offered - libraries, museums, theater, lectures, exhibits, fairs...etc. But I think the thing I enjoy most is the circle of very interesting friends I have developed and the exposure to great things and experiences which open up and the sheer variety of people you meet and interact with everday.

The city does get on your nerves after a while and I do have pangs when I want peace and quiet so I go to the country on a extended weekends. It usually works. I would like to have a vacation house in the country some day but not to live permanently.

If you are unsure you would like the city maybe take a couple of extended vacations into the city and live like a urbanite for 3 days at a time and see if it suits you.

MH07

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
(btw, may I say I have really enjoyed your posts?)

I'm the wrong person to ask, because all I'm going to do is pour gasoline on the fire you've got lit.

I grew up USAF, so we moved all over everywhere. I lived in big cities, medium sized cities, and burbs (mostly burbs). Our "home" was my grandparents' home, which was in a small rural community in the south. When I was growing up, it was like "Mayberry" on "The Andy Griffith Show". I always wanted to live there!

Well, I did live there. I moved there and lived there for 15 years, from age 35 to age 50.

It was great at first (perception of "no crime", friendly townsfolk, many things unchanged from my childhood), but it quickly became a prison for me. I found it to be boring, stagnant, and declining. If you don't change, if you don't keep up, you decline. There is no middle ground. You either move with the times or become a fossil.

After all these years, I've moved back to Houston (where I lived for several years as a child and young adult) and I LOVE IT! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! To quote Huey Lewis: "Where else can you do half a million things---all at a quarter of three?" (Yes, I know he was talking about NYC, where I also lived for 3 years as a young adult).

Trust me, there is just as much crime, badness, and other crap in the small towns/rural areas as there is in the city---it's just "hidden" from polite society there.

24 hour grocery stores, 24 hour drug stores, bars that close at 2:00 am, restaurants that close at 10:00 or 11:00 or 12:00 instead of 8:30; what kind of food do you want tonight---"thai? vietnamese? lebanese? indian?" --- instead of "McDonald's or Taco Bell or Ryan's?"

I am a 15 minute ambulance ride from the Texas Medical Center; I'm 25 minutes from Minute Maid Park; I can go to the symphony or the opera or the museum any time I want; this Saturday I'm taking my dogs for a walk in Hermann Park and enjoy the urban scene.

Since I'm gay, it doesn't hurt that the 4th largest city in the US also features a number of interesting gay bars...

I wouldn't go back to a suburban/rural/small town environment if you begged me.

One more thing: do it now while you're still young enough to enjoy all the benefits. That's what I'm doing, anyway.

Good luck, kiddo, and keep posting!

Make'nItLong

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is nothing like the country life. Yes, I am an urban cowboy. I still crave the life that the city brings, but truely love the tramquility that the country brings.

I have 3 kinds (5, 4, and 3) and would not think of any better place to raise them than in the coutry.