City or Country?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The things is - My oldest two kids are 18 and 16, (one has finished school and the other is in his final year )- are both reluctant to kmove. If we move to the city, it would be without there blessing as they both do not want any change. The youngest one is too young to care.

I am smack in the middle of a loving happy family:smile: , where I am the only one wanting to change where I live.:rolleyes:

I have been at this restless place for years, not liking suburbia ( don't get me wrong , where I live is VERY idyllic for many!) and am wondering whether or not to follow my longing and upheave everyone, or stay stuck in the burbs for a few more years.........but then I will be too old to enjoy the noise:biggrin1:

x Honey

Wait untill your 16 year old is 18 (or out of High School) and then consider moving.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hi guys ( I am having a posting frenzy today)

I have a life dilemea.

I am a restless soul, I like change and excitement. My long suffering husband is a earthy man who likes cookies and comfy.

We live in a tropical area close to beaches and bays, although is is mostly suburbia. We have a great house which we both love and the area is very scenic. I am however surrounded by nosey elderly neighbours and a small intimate community.

I crave the action and pace of living in the city ( or very close to it) I sometimes feel too exposed in the burbs and I enjoy the anonimity of city life.

Tell me reasons to hate the city life, is it over rated, or do you love living in the city?

xx

Honey

I grew up and have always lived in a city, but a city with a house and a front yard and a back yard with grass. Probably like most of the cities in this country they each have a suburban area. (I mean houses with yards instead of buildings with concrete lawns.)

But I am near (20 miles from) NYC and we cannot see the stars at night due to light polution.

I would like to move to the Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area to get away from the cold and get near a tropical like warm ocean. These are city areas where you have a suburban feel.

I would suggest you move to the outskirt of a big to medium size city.

Once you see Manhattan (the urban jungle) nothing will look like a city to you again in the U.S.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
In the 70s, a city of 70k was considered good size. I lived on the edge of a city of that size. I enjoyed it. Now, I live in a city of 18k. It is only 25 minutes by highway to an area of over 200k. I get to enjoy both worlds. I am 10 minutes from work. A large grocery is 3 minutes away. We have a fabulous theater, art museum, and great fishing, boating, and hunting. The biggest crime problem we have is drugs, and the theft related to the habit.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I grew up in Northern Cal in a small 5,000 person town. I moved to the bay area and from there to Atlanta. I lived there for about 16 years and couldn't take it any more and started to move farther out of the area. When Atlanta started to get closer, we moved to Arkansas. Our house is in the middle of 40 acres we can't see our neighbors and I'm not sure where the keys to the doors are if I was to lock them. I won't ever live in a city again.

I drove my truck to NYC a couple of times and what I had a hard time with was, in one of the apartment bldgs I passed there were more people in that one building, than in my whole town. It looks to me like an ant hill.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Having grown up in what my daddy always referred to as God's Country I had the best of both world's. :smile: We were 90 minutes from New York, NY and 90 minutes from Philadelphia, PA.

I obtained my AA degre in NYC and commuted every day for 15 months. I have had jobs where I commuted into the city. I LOVE all that cities have to offer and having easy access to theater shopping, museums, concerts, etc. is important to me. That said, it is more important that I be able to see grass and horses and cows. I need the sounds of the country to thrive and re-charge.

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think now that I have read these responses that it is the "suburbs" I hate, not city or country. I actually love both and can easily see their appeal.

It is the blandness and normalacy of suburban life that ges me down. I am not exactly a run of the mill type person and I stand out like dogs balls here.

Often I crave more anominity or a greater acceptance for difference, an eclectic surrounding. I think I would get that in the city ( I am not a two headed monster but I am vocal about my opinions and they are usually different from most around me)

My husband yesterday said he too would like to move, so I think we are actually headed in that direction now.

xx
Honey

mattflanders

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'd pick the country over the city! I've lived in a semi urbanized place for all my life and the last year I've lived in a city. I must admit it has some perks but I'd prefer something like Montana or Alberta, and that's pretty hard to find over here in Europe; because Siberia's not an option.
Small towns are usually great places to grow up in.