Class Warfare!!

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I find it almost humorous that the Republicans are calling a rollback to the Clinton era tax rates "class warfare!"

Amazing that this WILL become a major future talking point/mantra.

Seems to me class warfare has been a part of American culture for a long time "apart" from economics.

But if we take JUST the economics:

Minimum wage job: $7.25 per hour = $15,280 (before taxes) X 40 years of labor = $611,200

Middle Class wage $50,000 per year X 40 years labor = $2 million

"upper" class wage $250,000 per year X 40 years labor = $10 million

Upper Upper class wage $1 million per year X 40 years labor = $40 million!

Seems to me that all those millions of people making minimum wage jobs just don't appreciate how "rough" the Upper class has it!!

And since WHEN did a graduated income tax become "class" warfare??? Any thoughts?

thatguywithglasses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
They also make much more money than that. You'd figure you'd know more about economics... The rich can buy government bond so they get their taxes reduced by alot. The regular joe holding miminum wage has too much to pay in one month to consider buying a bond. I think you should reconsider your statement for next time. There are the less fortunate and it is only fair thouse with money bear the heaveist of taxation.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

They also make much more money than that. You'd figure you'd know more about economics...

Mensch was only giving a threshold. He never suggested that some people don't make more than that.

There are the less fortunate and it is only fair thouse with money bear the heaveist of taxation.

I'm fairly sure that's Mensch's premise.
Next time you should read more closely.

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
It's the use of such... melodramatic terminology and how casually it is applied these days that troubles me most.

The papers and headlines say "Class warfare" and the mind conjures images of peasants with pitchforks and burning torches marching on Versailles to demand the heads of the aristocracy. Is that what's being proposed by anybody? Hardly. We're talking about action far less dramatic and so I think it should be termed something far less dramatic.

I guess even more troubling than the application of such inflated rhetoric is that it works. A segment of the population will grab hold of that headline and spout it to absolutely everyone they meet and won't be convinced by any form of fact or reason that what is being proposed is anything but class warfare. It would be nice to say only one half of the political divide is responsible for this sort of gross exaggeration but that's not really true.

Put more accurately one side is just better at it.

JSZ

B_enzia35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're forgetting some of Obama's biggest fans...the ones that don't work at all and just ask for free shit.

Class warfare? Definitely a communist theme: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

Upperdown

Experimental Member
Media
I find it almost humorous that the Republicans are calling a rollback to the Clinton era tax rates "class warfare!"

Seems to me class warfare has been a part of American culture for a long time "apart" from economics.

Minimum wage job: $7.25 per hour = $15,280 (before taxes) X 40 years of labor = $611,200

Seems to me that all those millions of people making minimum wage jobs just don't appreciate how "rough" the Upper class has it!!

And since WHEN did a graduated income tax become "class" warfare??? Any thoughts?

It was always class warfare.

Now I want you to do calculate what each of those people will pay in taxes. Knowing full well that they all get equal services from the government, why is there such a disparity.

Heres a start: Minimum Wage (7.25/hr): $0 Federal Income Taxes.

now you go

Upperdown

Experimental Member
Media

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You're forgetting some of Obama's biggest fans...the ones that don't work at all and just ask for free shit.

Class warfare? Definitely a communist theme: "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need."

I bet you're one of the ones who cheered when the Republican debate intimated that a 30 year old without insurance should just be allowed to die!:cool:

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Now I want you to do calculate what each of those people will pay in taxes. Knowing full well that they all get equal services from the government, why is there such a disparity.

now you go

That's not "quite" true...........SS taxes, Medicare, etc. And then of course there's State Tax and Sales Tax!

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
One thing that is interesting is to look at the history of taxation at various income levels. Right now, the most wealthy are paying far lower tax rates than they ever have in years past, and the taxation is saddled disproportionately on the backs of those quite a bit farther down the income ladder.

The misunderstanding is not the amount in dollars it is in fact the percentage of total gross income being paid in taxes where the great disparity comes into play.

What I find humorous is the definition of $250,000 per year as really wealthy. By todays standards that income level is little more than upper middle class. The guy who is at $250,000 a year has the right to bitch and moan because he is paying the most for the guy who earns a cool million or more each year. Those are the people paying nearly nothing. Where we need to take a hard look starts at about $850,000-$950,000 per year. When you get up there the diversification, losses on investments and write-offs are there in abundance. Get to $250,000 or less and most of that has gone to the wind. Where I want to see major changes is when the income tops seven figures and you would be surprised how many qualify for that!

The economic mantras heard right now are nothing new. Same things were said in the 1920's before and after the 1929 crash. The stuff said now about taxes, spending cuts and other smoke screen items are all re-runs. The cries against Obama are historically exactly the same as the most conservative of the Republican party tried to do to both F.D.R. and to Harry Truman. There was one huge difference. Both Truman and F.D.R. had balls and knew how to handle political wrangling. The present "House Sitter" is a spineless wimp in comparison. I would, based on who is running on the other side as a bunch of extremist crazies vote for a rerun of Barak, but it would be what I had to do, not what I wanted to do. I can think of many GOP members who I would consider and I can think of many other Democrats that I would like better. I wish that the Dems would not have backed off on Hillary. Yep, she is a vicious bitch, but, based on the current world situation, a vicious bitch is what we needed two years ago and we still need right now. If she had been in the driver's seat with B.O. as her V.P. I think he would have learned enough quickly enough to have been a far better leader had he been elected later, and I think we would not have had the economic melt-down on this level. The one thing I will give her. . . . She really knows where the skeletons are buried!

S

superbot

Funny,I always thought the US was a CLASSLESS society??

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

now you go
ok. You reckon its not fair someone who pays zero tax gets all benefits the state provides. So Lets make things fairer. Lets give everyone the same tax rate and the same dollar rate per hour. Then its just how many hours they work and they can each pay the same total tax per hour worked.

dandelion

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm not forgetting them at all. If you pay them the national average rate, maybe $100 per hour then I expect they would work a few hours each week to earn enough to live on. There would be no need at all for government handouts.

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it's humorous the the republicans call it class warfare when they're the ones declaring war on what's left on the middle class. When the percentage of people who hold the majority of the wealth in this country falls to 30%, I think that might help us all believe in the hope Mr. Obama has been talking about. Until then, let the war begin.