Classical Music

What is your opinion on classical music?

• I hate classical music/never listen to it.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I like some of it/certain pieces.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I love most classical music/listen exclusively to it.

Votes: 39 63.9%

• Total voters

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

MissThing

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm classically trained and play all woodwinds and brasses to varying degrees, but specialized in piccolo and flutes; I've also been composing for almost twenty years as well, and I tend to use the winds a lot as a result of this! I've always been mesmerized by Hindemith, having played much of his work in my youth (I can still make it through his Symphony in B-Flat like I was 17:smile:). Poulenc, Revueltas, Stravinsky, Villa Lobos (his Harp Concerto is haunting!), Shostakovich, Mahler (who can forget Mahler?) and Bernstein are some of my favorites and my influences. I gravitate toward 19th and 20th century music most of the time. I've always been a fan of instruments on the extreme ends of the stonal spectrum (probably from being a piccoloist for a million years and annoying everyone else in the process:tongue:). I almost never write a piece without bass flute, contrabassoon, piccolo, and a contrabass clarinet!

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not too intimately familiar with it, but I like most of what I've heard.

Also, a bit tangential, but this picture I've attached really seems to embody many classical listeners on music fora I visit.

EDIT:
Goddamnit, the picture got resized, so you can't read the text. Here's a link.

Attachments

LuciferChild

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
its very rare listening to the radio nowadays but if i have to listen i always choose classic radio,i hate the music of other radios....and theres not a new age kind of radio so i use my pen usb when im driving when i have that option.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's a LOT.

Rubinstein, Richter, Argerich, Kissin, Kempff, Blechacz, Zimmerman, Yundi Li .....
Yup. No shortage of pianists.
Hadn't listened to Blechacz for a while, and, prompted by your post, I just heard his Heroic Polonaise on YouTube. Great stuff.
Kempff is a pianist I blow hot and cold on, but then he'll give a performance in which he's so identified with the music that your resistance crumbles.

Have you heard Daniil Trifonov? He is perhaps my favourite among the pianists who are just breaking out. My money says he'll be classed with the very great ones ... and soon.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I love "classical" music (I use the term loosely, since we're not being technical about periods of music history), but as someone who makes their living performing it, I don't listen to it exclusively. I like to have a well rounded musical diet, I listen to many styles of music. As a performer, I tend to play a lot of late Romantic/early 20th century music by French, English and US composers, as well as Baroque music of Handel. I really don't like Bach all that much, and being an organist, that's sort of heresy. To make programs audience friendly, you have to give them things that they like, so I often include crowd pleasers like a requisite Bach piece, even if I don't like it, but audiences seem to like the mathmatical precision. I prefer the joy that dances from the music of Handel and Vivaldi.

When it comes to choral music, I love everything from Gregorian chant to Gospel, contemporary Jewish singers and Shaker songs.

Have you heard Daniil Trifonov? He is perhaps my favourite among the pianists who are just breaking out. My money says he'll be classed with the very great ones ... and soon.

:eek: That was godlike! I was especially listening to Polonaise Fantaisie about when you sent this so it was even better haha. Too bad that competition was the most controversial competition out of all Chopin competitions. It wouldn't have gone down the same way if it were for me, but then what do I know, lol.

El_Burro

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I like many genres of music, but classical has always been at or near the top of my list. When I was a kid I loved Beethoven and Telemann. Now, Rossini, Vivaldi, Henry Purcell, Saint-Saëns and Monteverdi rotate on my iPod. Though I usually despise modern composers, my favourite is de Sarasate.

Have you heard Daniil Trifonov? He is perhaps my favourite among the pianists who are just breaking out. My money says he'll be classed with the very great ones ... and soon.[/QUOTE]

Oh, Connie, that was amazing! Such a wonderful balance of subtlety and passion! He is incredible!

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:eek: That was godlike!
Yup.
And Trifonov exists.

Oh, Connie, that was amazing! Such a wonderful balance of subtlety and passion! He is incredible!
Yup. And so much, lightly offered, technique.
Thank you calling me Connie, btw.
I leave little hints ... but only you connect the dots, El_Burro.