Clean eating is expensive !!!

I suggest you reread. She specifically asked how she could do what she is doing for less. Stay. on. Topic. Post topically or move along.
No, I suggest you reread the original post. She asks how she can continue "this healthy lifestyle" on a lower budget, not the actual diet itself. In fact she says "I am not sure I can maintain 5 meals a day where I have to eat etc etc" and talks about not liking egg whites, which suggests she might be open to suggestions for dietary alternatives. I posted on that basis, merely trying to be helpful. Now move along and stop appointing yourself as the police spokesperson for this thread.

Reactions: sangheili90

I don't understand why everyone feels the need to tell her how she's doing it all wrong.
I completely get what you are saying - fine, agreed, whatever works for you or the OP. Speaking for myself, I wasn't being critical of the OP's regime at all. She was saying it was too expensive. I suggested lots of fruit and veg because she seemed to be inviting ideas for how to stay healthy on a lower budget and that has always worked for me. Unscientific maybe but hardly controversial and turns out she's already eating unlimited veggies, so it wasn't an outlandish suggestion. Certainly it wasn't meant to be critical or telling her she is 'getting it wrong', just an idea for how to be frugal and maintain her healthy lifestyle. Perfectly on topic. Frugality actually comes from the Latin root for fruit and veg. There seems to be a huge sensitivity in this thread: the OP can talk about her "diet" but if I use the same word, that's a no-no. Feels like a minefield!

Symphonic

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There seems to be a huge sensitivity in this thread: the OP can talk about her "diet" but if I use the same word, that's a no-no. Feels like a minefield!

It's psychological. "Diet" means a lot if things depending in who you're talking to. For some it's a negative term revolving around restriction and denial. For others it's a positive term revolving around dedication and control.

At the end if the day they're the same thing; controlling anything means allowing one thing but denying another. That's just how it works.

We will all get through this.

Reactions: hunghorse30

PittCoupleN

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You lost me after the first sentence. I barely understood a thing you said. And I'm educated.

I simply mean to people who adhere to certain types of diets their idea of what is "nutritionally complete" can be vastly different than what the devotee of another diet thinks that mean.

To someone like Professor Noble the idea that any vegan or vegetarian diet is "nutritionally complete" is absolutely preposterous. Unlike the dietary claims that are often based on nothing more than observational studies, these people fully understand and can, for instance, demonstrate the well understood relationship between saturated fats and proper neurological function as well as genetically linked premature cell death that results from consuming high levels of carbohydrates.

But no matter how many times an actual scientist can demonstrate the activation of the so called "reaper genes" or the break down of neurological function resulting from certain diets, many adherents to certain diets will insist their diet is nutritionally sound, because ...

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Think what you want, say what you want, call me names. I don't care.

The OP is on an unsustainable meal plan (sorry, but apparently not allowed to say "diet"). Within 12-18 months she will probably regain most of her weight loss. This is what happens when, instead of eating normal foods in sensible amounts along with a sensible exercise program, you go on a crazy meal plan devised by an award winning expert.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat...

It's psychological. "Diet" means a lot if things depending in who you're talking to. For some it's a negative term revolving around restriction and denial. For others it's a positive term revolving around dedication and control.

At the end if the day they're the same thing; controlling anything means allowing one thing but denying another. That's just how it works.

We will all get through this.
That's a very good point :)

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I completely get what you are saying - fine, agreed, whatever works for you or the OP. Speaking for myself, I wasn't being critical of the OP's regime at all. She was saying it was too expensive. I suggested lots of fruit and veg because she seemed to be inviting ideas for how to stay healthy on a lower budget and that has always worked for me. Unscientific maybe but hardly controversial and turns out she's already eating unlimited veggies, so it wasn't an outlandish suggestion. Certainly it wasn't meant to be critical or telling her she is 'getting it wrong', just an idea for how to be frugal and maintain her healthy lifestyle. Perfectly on topic. Frugality actually comes from the Latin root for fruit and veg. There seems to be a huge sensitivity in this thread: the OP can talk about her "diet" but if I use the same word, that's a no-no. Feels like a minefield!
For what it's worth... I never saw you as being the big problem in the responses here. The OP said "this healthy lifestyle"... She meant the diet plan she's currently on... but you flat out said "I don't know about diet" in your first response and I was never under the impression that you were telling her she was wrong to be on the plan she's on. The problem, in my opinion, is that she has come under heavy attack for her nutritional choices as well as her trainer a number of times before by people who seem to feel like they know better what's going to work for her *points up at hzs3fg*
That'd be all well and good if she said "hey... what do you all think of this diet plan?"... but she didn't.
I'm sorry that you felt so under attack. My issue was really never with you.

Reactions: hunghorse30

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Think what you want, say what you want, call me names. I don't care.

The OP is on an unsustainable meal plan (sorry, but apparently not allowed to say "diet"). Within 12-18 months she will probably regain most of her weight loss. This is what happens when, instead of eating normal foods in sensible amounts along with a sensible exercise program, you go on a crazy meal plan devised by an award winning expert.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat...
That's super. I'm sure all the people who asked for and give a fuck about your opinion of the OP's diet feel better now.

Oh wait... NO ONE ASKED WHAT YOU THINK. That's the point that you apparently missed.

Having an opinion doesn't mean you're obligated to share it. The woman is happy with the results she's getting. She's choosing to be on the plan she's on. What are you hoping to accomplish exactly? Do you think she's going to read your posts and a beam of a-ha light is going to shine down from the heavens... and she's going to cry and realize that you're the obvious authority and immediately empty her refrigerator and start anew?

As for your case study... I didn't read it... because it doesn't matter. Not to me and likely not to her. What she's doing is similar (if a bit more strict) than what I did... and I've kept off 120+ pounds for 6 years. Sooooo... fuck your case study. Reading a case study doesn't make you an expert. Have you done it? Do you have firsthand experience or do you honestly believe that reading some shit online gives you the authority to tell her what will and will not work for her?

As far as it being sustainable... Maybe not for you.... Who says she's going to stay on this exact plan forever? I don't eat that way anymore. I did it short term to get the ball rolling while I learned about nutrition and learned to be mindful of my diet. Who the fuck are you to say that's wrong? Why even bother? Why do you care and what good do you think you're adding to her life? She's trying to learn what to put into her mouth... Maybe you need to learn what not to let out of yours.

For what it's worth... I never saw you as being the big problem in the responses here. The OP said "this healthy lifestyle"... She meant the diet plan she's currently on... but you flat out said "I don't know about diet" in your first response and I was never under the impression that you were telling her she was wrong to be on the plan she's on. The problem, in my opinion, is that she has come under heavy attack for her nutritional choices as well as her trainer a number of times before by people who seem to feel like they know better what's going to work for her *points up at hzs3fg*
That'd be all well and good if she said "hey... what do you all think of this diet plan?"... but she didn't.
I'm sorry that you felt so under attack. My issue was really never with you.
Thanks, appreciate it :)

Reactions: Snarky_succubus

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
That's super. I'm sure all the people who asked for and give a fuck about your opinion of the OP's diet feel better now.

Oh wait... NO ONE ASKED WHAT YOU THINK. That's the point that you apparently missed.

Having an opinion doesn't mean you're obligated to share it. The woman is happy with the results she's getting. She's choosing to be on the plan she's on. What are you hoping to accomplish exactly? Do you think she's going to read your posts and a beam of a-ha light is going to shine down from the heavens... and she's going to cry and realize that you're the obvious authority and immediately empty her refrigerator and start anew?

As for your case study... I didn't read it... because it doesn't matter. Not to me and likely not to her. What she's doing is similar (if a bit more strict) than what I did... and I've kept off 120+ pounds for 6 years. Sooooo... fuck your case study. Reading a case study doesn't make you an expert. Have you done it? Do you have firsthand experience or do you honestly believe that reading some shit online gives you the authority to tell her what will and will not work for her?

As far as it being sustainable... Maybe not for you.... Who says she's going to stay on this exact plan forever? I don't eat that way anymore. I did it short term to get the ball rolling while I learned about nutrition and learned to be mindful of my diet. Who the fuck are you to say that's wrong? Why even bother? Why do you care and what good do you think you're adding to her life? She's trying to learn what to put into her mouth... Maybe you need to learn what not to let out of yours.

It's an open forum. I say what I want, you say what you want. I'm not nearly as nasty as you are but I can eke out a good "fuck you" now and then also...

Brisler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It isn't for everyone... but we all have different obstacles. If it were easy for everyone, we wouldn't have so many 600 pound people. People say "just make small changes... do it gradually... ease in". That works for a lot of people... not for me. When I started losing weight, I absolutely needed to completely overhaul. It had to be all or nothing. I needed definite boundaries and the structure of monitoring macros gave them to me. It gave me opportunities to set small goals for myself as well as a structured way to let myself "cheat" and was the only thing that showed consistent progress. Using protein supplements gave me the amount of protein I needed for fewer calories which gave me a little bit of much needed wiggle room. Tons of people told me I was doing it wrong. Tons of people expected me to fail. Tons of people said it wouldn't last... and here I am... 6 years later, still going strong... flipping them all the bird.

People seem to forget that it isn't just a physical thing for a lot of people. Most people who carry a substantial amount of extra also carry a fair amount of mental and emotional baggage tied to those pounds. Losing weight, on paper, is far more simple than most people realize... but in practice is a completely different thing for an awful lot of people.
Anyway,
maybe she needs the trainer for motivation, maybe she needs the trainer to help hold her accountable, maybe she just needs him until she feels confident in the gym (that shit is HARD for women, especially when you're not just a cardio bunny. When you walk into the weight room someone may as well scream out "TITS ON DECK!!!". Not an easy thing to stomach for someone who's likely not comfortable in their own skin to begin with)... Whatever the case may be... she obviously feels the need to keep him around and stay on the plan she's on. She's getting the results she wants. I don't understand why everyone feels the need to tell her how she's doing it all wrong. You can't argue results. The woman just wanted to know if anyone had tips on buying cheaper chicken for chrissakes.

I understand all of this, and I know several people who whom losing weight is a complicated thing, so my intention wasn't to tell her she's doing anything wrong. She obviously isn't. And it wasn't my intention to tell her that she should do anything differently, because I know nothing about this whole thing. If she likes her workout routine and likes her diet, I see no reason why she shouldn't be able to get results. I'm just confused that people are being so angry at people who a suggesting minor changes to her situation. They clearly mean well.

I am actually beginning to understand that this thread really is just about how to buy cheaper chicken. It just seems so weird to me to make a thread about that. I mean, the original post of the topic should have said:

"I have to buy X amount of chicken, X amount of eggs and X amount of protein powder every week.I absolutely refuse to make any changes to the type of product I consume and the amount of it. It has to be exactly what I said. How do I save money on those products?"

Then people could have said: "You have to buy it as cheap as possible.", and the thread could have been over and done with.

I mean, to me it just doesn't seem like the thing people need advice about. And it really doesn't have much to do with health, fitness and bodybuilding if it's a thread about how do your grocery shopping.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

You turn literally every thread on this sub section of the forum into a massive flame war, and it seems to be just for the hell of it to appease your own ego. You know nothing about nutritional or exercise science, yet aggressively argue with those that have actually provided evidence to support their claims.

I actually like to help people out with this stuff, since I regularly read studies in regards to nutrition, exercise science, physiology etc. There is a fuck ton of bro science out there with the fitness and health industries, and by linking sources of credible information people are able to make conclusions based on facts, not by what some fitness celeb or magazine told you. However, we have clueless individuals like you who see personal anecdotal evidence as relevant to a scientific discussion and in addition to this resort to name calling and throwing temper tantrums simply because you cannot or will not accept scientific facts that are contrary to your own personal beliefs.

Reactions: hzs3fg

You turn literally every thread on this sub section of the forum into a massive flame war, and it seems to be just for the hell of it to appease your own ego. You know nothing about nutritional or exercise science, yet aggressively argue with those that have actually provided evidence to support their claims.

I actually like to help people out with this stuff, since I regularly read studies in regards to nutrition, exercise science, physiology etc. There is a fuck ton of bro science out there with the fitness and health industries, and by linking sources of credible information people are able to make conclusions based on facts, not by what some fitness celeb or magazine told you. However, we have clueless individuals like you who see personal anecdotal evidence as relevant to a scientific discussion and in addition to this resort to name calling and throwing temper tantrums simply because you cannot or will not accept scientific facts that are contrary to your own personal beliefs.
:D At least you've still got your sense of humour.

If this thread is indeed about buying cheaper chicken, (sorry, can't be bothered to read the whole thread), then halal meat is often cheaper, buying frozen chicken breasts is also a cheaper option.

I will say that this diet, though it seems to currently be working, sounds very boring and repetitive, and this is possibly going to be your undoing. You are supposed to enjoy food you know!

Reactions: hzs3fg

I understand all of this, and I know several people who whom losing weight is a complicated thing, so my intention wasn't to tell her she's doing anything wrong. She obviously isn't. And it wasn't my intention to tell her that she should do anything differently, because I know nothing about this whole thing. If she likes her workout routine and likes her diet, I see no reason why she shouldn't be able to get results. I'm just confused that people are being so angry at people who a suggesting minor changes to her situation. They clearly mean well.

I am actually beginning to understand that this thread really is just about how to buy cheaper chicken. It just seems so weird to me to make a thread about that. I mean, the original post of the topic should have said:

"I have to buy X amount of chicken, X amount of eggs and X amount of protein powder every week.I absolutely refuse to make any changes to the type of product I consume and the amount of it. It has to be exactly what I said. How do I save money on those products?"

Then people could have said: "You have to buy it as cheap as possible.", and the thread could have been over and done with.

I mean, to me it just doesn't seem like the thing people need advice about. And it really doesn't have much to do with health, fitness and bodybuilding if it's a thread about how do your grocery shopping.
You make me laugh so much :)

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

IMG950712.jpg

Reactions: 950483

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

Your grocery shopping... yes... for a diet she's been put on by a trainer who trains bodybuilders... it has everything to do with health, fitness, and bodybuilding when you're looking for suggestions from bodybuilders who've been on this kind of eating plan. She's looking for people who've been in a similar situation to offer a potentially different approach or some suggestions on how to make it more affordable. Some of us gave her suggestions (though there's really only so much that can be done. It's expensive unfortunately)... Like "get a freezer so you can buy more when it's on a good sale and have it around" or "barter" as AlteredEgo suggested. Some of us chose to instead rail her about how she shouldn't be eating this way at all. It's a little ridiculous. Also, it's a pretty simple idea to just not say anything if you think it's an obvious answer or have nothing to add. That *is* an option. I know because I do it often.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's an open forum. I say what I want, you say what you want. I'm not nearly as nasty as you are but I can eke out a good "fuck you" now and then also...
Effect_20161201_224427.jpg