Cleanest City in the United States Miami?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by pdxman, Mar 18, 2008.

1. pdxman

pdxman New Member

2. B_andyo

B_andyo New Member

I been to Tampa, Orlando and many more cities in Florida.. And of course I live in Miami..
    Then again they all look the same unless you go to the guetto :)

But yea where I live is pretty clean :)

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Was there last month and yeah it seemed pretty clean. Much better than it was ten years ago.

4. transformer_99

Gold Member

Live in Miami also. The tropical winds come in and blow out whatever bad air quality is here. Same goes with Jax, Orlando and Tampa in FL. Traffic is bad here, they really have paved from West Palm Beach down to the top of the FL Keys and during rush hour it's a parking lot.

Big Yellow Taxi Lyrics by Joni Mitchell

Median home prices used to be around $ 400K, they've dropped to just over $ 300K, still higher than most places. There are good neighborhoods, then there are a lot of crummy ones too (stay out of Hialeah, FL). A big factor, spanish is spoken here, so you better know it already or be willing to learn it.

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Miami is a very large area filled with a diverse population.

Hearing it called the cleanest city in the US threw me back for a sec, but thinking about it...it's no "hole", not any more.

Culturally it beats the hell out of Broward, where I live.

6. B_andyo

B_andyo New Member

My neighborhood is pretty good. No house fall less than 900k $, only a few smaller houses of 600k's that were made a year ago. It is clean, quiet and no robberies since they have gates.

Little Havana are old houses somewhere in the 200-450k depending of how big the house is. I don't like this zone because many people walk on the streets and seem like guetto. 15 years ago Cubans live there but now other spanish new comers have taken over it. Cubans now live towards the west side of Miami and Hialeah. :)

7. RedScrotum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Recently returned from vacation in Miami Beach. it was very clean, really enjoyed it as a tourist. There seemed like a lot more international tourists than American tourists, because of the weakness of the dollar. I know that Miami Beach is a different city than Miami, but the area was very nice.

8. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Miami is nice, but from personal experience I don't really know if it's really the cleanest. But then again, I have no scientific experience to back that up, just the used condom I found while swimming.....ewww.

9. SteveHd

Gold Member

Did they clean up "overtown"?

10. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Miami is a beautiful city. A few years ago I wan in the downtown area and it was very clean and modern looking. I don't know if they took Miami Beach into consideration, but the causeways into it are beautiful.

11. transformer_99

Gold Member

relatively, there are too many areas that are simply immune to urban renewal because of the poverty levels and disparities. I live in what I like to call "Lower Aventura", North Miami around US 1. Not bad because I have a Miami Dade County Park nearby that's a buffer zone from the Hood/Barrio. You can go a few blocks and it gets rough very quick, but over the past few years that has had a face lift effort.

12. SteveHd

Gold Member

T...99, thanks for the comment. If you're near US1, that would be good since you'd also be near the coast. Areas near the coast generally hold up better. Despite hurricanes, people still want to live near the coast.

I figure not much will happen for Overtown and Liberty City unless someone [the city or a ballsy private investor] spends a lot of money. It could happen but it's not likely. Any large city will have such areas, so Miami isn't unusual.

I dislike large cities per se. I used to live in W. Palm Beach and later Palm Bch Gardens [near Jupiter], and even those were too big for me. I had to get out of there. I don't care how "clean" it is, I don't like a large city.

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

With the exception of San Francisco, I can't imagine living in any of those "sparkling clean" antiseptic urban sprawls. I've become to accustomed to living in cities where the idea of a strip mall does not exist. Granted, there's the inevitable dog blast one must navigate on the sidewalks, but the sense of history and the cultural heritage that pokes me in the face every day I walk out the door of my homes more than makes up for the litter (in Barcelona, mostly from tourists in the tourist areas). It's also pleasant living without supermarkets. I need meat. I go to the butcher. I need bread. I go to the bakery. I need scotch tape. I go to the scotch tape store (for anyone who remembers the old SNL skit).

14. pdxman

pdxman New Member

Midlife,,have you ever been to Portland? Very nice central City area and neigborhoods..good mass transit(light rail. trolleys) bike friendly ,sprawl limited thanks to urban growth boundaries. One of the most planned cities in America actually. And its actually #5 on the list of cleanest cities in America.

15. transformer_99

Gold Member

Funny, the hurricanes that I've endured here have been far lighter than some of the worst rain and thunderstorms that come thru other times. The worst, a 2005 hurricane that came from the gulf side, across the bottom of the state and out Hallandale/Hollywood/Ft Lauderdale. The side of my building is on the east, I barely knew there was a storm passing thru with the exception of the power going out elsewhere that effected me in Oct 2005.

Draft saved Draft deleted