Clear things up...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by conntom, Apr 16, 2010.

1. conntom

Gold Member

I detest big gov't.

I don;t have a link. I don't have a news article. It is my own personal feelings.

The way I see it - having gov't serve the people too much makes people lazy.

It's like the parents that spoil a child. The kid never learns to take care of themselves.

The old phrase about teaching people to fish and giving them a fish applies too.

Someone once said - a gov't big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

A wise chinesse man once said something about the gov't being more dangerous than the tiger.

Based on the history of gov'ts(all of them for recorded history) well, I would have to agree with the above two ideas and I'd rather not repeat history here in America.

While I'm socially more liberal, fiscally I'm very conservative. This seems to be a problem for some and I get frustrated that I get pinned with labels I know do not fit me.

I like talking politics but I'll probably be a little less vocal here because there isn;t much debate or learning going on here. Just rants and name calling and quotes out of context that just serves to stoke the fires of hate.

Either way I'll be voting out Obama and at this point I have yet to find a candidate I really like.

Best of luck to you all.

2. sargon20

Gold Member

Total RNC talking points. In other words......

:bsflag:

If you detest big government you must have had a very troubling 8 years under Bush. I've got a place for you Government Free Vacation.

#2 sargon20, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    Ideology isn't good enough to wipe your ass with. We need facts, statistics, science and hard study to better our society, not some bullshit about big government making people lazy.

4. Levi

Levi New Member

Albums:
    I am afraid your fantasys about living in some tax free, gun totting, nigger hanging right wing utopia are never going to happen, you can shout, you can start civil wars it really isnt going to work. You can try to 'educate' people as much as you like but sadly for you, most people on here are a bit brighter than you are.

5. conntom

Gold Member

Sargon...why do you assume I was happy with Bush?

Levi - take that shit somewhere else.

The responses here just prove my point. There is no discussion to be had here.

6. maxcok

Gold Member

Alrighty then. Ready, set, discuss:

Cliche platitude and empty talking point. Does that also mean you detest big military, JAG?

I don;t have a link. I don't have a news article. It is my own personal feelings.
    Shallow as they are, you pronounce them with great assurance. Yet they aren't your original thoughts at all, rather what you've been spoonfed from right-wing blogs and Faux News.

The way I see it - having gov't serve the people too much makes people lazy.
    Platitude #2. So, what is "too much" in your opinion? Should we all build our own roads, haul our own water, provide our own police and fire protection, inspect our own meat and toys from China? Nevermind, clearly you only want government to provide what you personally benefit from, Right?

It's like the parents that spoil a child. The kid never learns to take care of themselves.
    Platitude #3. See comments above.

The old phrase about teaching people to fish and giving them a fish applies too.
    Platitude #4. Some people aren't capable of fishing. Should we let them starve?

Someone once said - a gov't big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.
    How many damn platitudes are you going to post?

A wise chinesse man once said something about the gov't being more dangerous than the tiger.
    Jeezhus. Platitude #6. How vague. See above. and above, and above, and above . . . .

Based on the history of gov'ts(all of them for recorded history) well, I would have to agree with the above two ideas and I'd rather not repeat history here in America.
    Huh? Have no idea where you're going with that. Please enlighten us with your historical insights.

While I'm socially more liberal, fiscally I'm very conservative. This seems to be a problem for some and I get frustrated that I get pinned with labels I know do not fit me.
    We hear this alot. You're not unique. The problem, and the irony is that like so many 'socially progressive' NeoCons, you believe the myth of Republicans being the party of fiscal responsibility. Historical evidence to the contrary is strikingly clear if you care to do a little research. If not, recent history should be evidence enough.

You, like so many others, align with a party you profess to disagree with on virtually every other issue - except the promise they won't overtax those higher income brackets. It's personal greed, pure and simple. You just don't want anybody else to benefit from your good fortune.

The irony is that you would do so much better under Democratic policies, and again, history proves it. Rather than 'trickle down' economics, think of a rising tide lifting all ships. We dodged a bullet with this financial crisis, but we're far from out of the woods. If Republicans have their way, we'll go right back in the ditch, and your investments won't be worth shit. Think about it.
    (I hope those simple figures of speech will help you comprehend.)

I like talking politics but I'll probably be a little less vocal here because there isn;t much debate or learning going on here. Just rants and name calling and quotes out of context that just serves to stoke the fires of hate.
    No, what you like is 'enlightening' us all with your vapid pronouncements. While you're busy spitting out empty talking points you complain about the lack of learning?? Could not be more ironic.
    Anyway, if you can't play with the big boys . . .

Either way I'll be voting out Obama and at this point I have yet to find a candidate I really like.
    Well, good luck with that. I'm sure somebody will tell you who to vote for, maybe Faux News?

Best of luck to you all.
    Does this mean farewell??? :smile:

You really don't give us much to 'discuss', but I did my best. What is absolutely clear about you and others of your mindset is you think that you and you alone are responsible for your financial success and the less fortunate are just lazy leeches. All your talk of personal responsibility means you just don't want to share the pie. 'I detest big gov't' is code for 'I'm a stingy bastard' and 'fuck everybody else'. It really is that simple. And transparent.

#6 maxcok, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  7. sargon20

Gold Member

Yep...isn't that the most bullshit answer? The modern day Republican Party has NEVER been fiscally conservative. Bush I was the only one who tried and he was given his hat for doing it. It's all flat out lies and marketing fluff. They have no 'ideas' on how to balance the budget. If you are 100% against tax increases that only leaves spending cuts. This isn't nuclear physics. However they know the kind of spending cuts needed means they won't get elected again if they do it. So all they do is pay lip service.

ALL the noise about the deficit and fiscal responsibility was non-existent during the Bush years and even the Reagan years. If you made noise about it then kudos for you. I was wrong. However that has not been the case in say 95.6429% of the time.

#7 sargon20, Apr 17, 2010
  8. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

Then move to a smaller, much less populated country and leave the rest of us out of your personal problems.

You give no indication of wanting to actually discuss or learn anything, you just want to tell everyone what you think, and have them all nod in agreement... Sorry, but if you want to be widely respected, then you need to adhere to an ideology that is widely respected.

#8 B_talltpaguy, Apr 17, 2010
  9. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    This thread is an example of the reason that myself and others barely take part in this forum.

The poster did nothing in his OP and has done very little in his brief time here to deserve the abuse thrown his way. I don't agree with much of what he says either, but jeez guys... It another thread I read a poster say the teabaggers and the Republicians do nothing but "shout down the opposition". And yet.... here we are. And please... don't come back to me with the juvenile argument that "they did a first" lol.

He's not in favor of big government and he doesn't agree with Obama. Big fucking deal. It doesn't mean his ideology isn't worthy to wipe his ass with. It doesn't make him a "nigger hanger" either.

This method of "debate" is annoying and embarrassing and became tedious months ago. It is also indicative of public discourse in the US these days. Does everyone have to behave like a talking head on Fox News?

Or it is just this medium that gives us big balls? If your neighbor said that he does like health insurance reform and he would be working to vote out Obama. would call him a nigger hanger? To his face?

Ideology has completely replaced common sense.

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    +1

11. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

12. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

edited: misunderstood someone else's typo.

#12 B_talltpaguy, Apr 17, 2010
  13. conntom

Gold Member

I think health care reform was absolutely needed. I happen to think that without democrats it would never have gotten started. The republicans are on the issue out of need - not because they truely believe in it. BUt the form of HCR we are getting is not in the best interest of people or the country - yes...my opinion due to the way I see the world.

His ties to racists is disturbing. I would not have voted for a white guy with a similar background.

He makes fun of people like me for my beliefs. He says how I amuse him. He pokes at people who drive trucks, have guns and cling to a religion. I'm insulted by him.

He apologizes for the US being a superpower.

He calls the US public - basically decent people as a back handed compliment.

He takes over GM. He continues what was started under Bush with the saving of banks that should be out of business.

I believe that he and the people surrounding him in his administration are people that will, if allowed, change this country from what it is into something that I feel will be weaker and less successful of a nation.

I watched him take sides without information during the Cambridge Police incident with his friend. His friend was the only racist in that situation.

Has he done a few things I liked. Yes. But the bad outweighs the good for me.

14. conntom

Gold Member

Thank you.

15. conntom

Gold Member

W. Bush's first term gave me no real issues - he was handling 9/11 as well as I thought possible at that time.

His second term went awfully wrong.

The Repubs spent crazy like the Democrats we always complained of.

The wars really got me though.

Two things....

1) I think we strayed from the Powell Doctrine. As an American, I think it is our duty to never send anyone into combat unless they are sent in to win and win with every tool and method available to us so that as many as possible return safely and that said conflict be one directly related to our national defense.

2) How did Reagan bankrupt the USSR? He had them so scared we were everywhere - on the ground, in the sea and in SPACE. They spent themselves out of existence trying to fight off threats - including one that was made up !! Now, think about the fear we live with related to terrorism...we have to invade here and there, we have to spend spend spend in order to protect ourselves. We're allowing the terrorist to do to us what we did to the USSR.

I hate debt and particularly debt I can not control and the national debt falls into that category!

I credit Clinton for balancing the budget. But note....after two years in office he lost those midterm elections and it made him a much more centrist and better President. I wonder if the same will be said for Obama.

16. LittleButt

LittleButt Member

Conntom: Just to answer a couple of your concerns here:

1. Let's be honest: everyone knows racist people. At least Obama didn't attempt to send every white person back to Europe (Lincoln considered this you know). Judge a man by what he does, not who he knows.

2. Obama poked fun at people who are frightened of change, not people who believe in God, guns and pickups. If you read the latest psychological literature you will understand that most of the FOX viewers and Teabaggers are terrified of change, the change that we see around us in this fast moving technological culture.

3. Obama apologized for the US having a history of invading weaker cultures that did not go the way we wanted them to. IE: 78 times in Latin America alone between 1899 and 1981.

4. I don't understand what you are saying here so...

5. The US Government bailed out MANY companies. When they were stable we are currently selling back the stock WITH A HUGE PROFIT. The Government has already said they want out of GM the minute it can stand on on it's own two feet.

6. Change of any sort is scary. Remember how frightened people were during Reconstruction, The Civil Rights Movement, etc? Give it time. He is trying to do what everyone knows needs to be done but cannot/will not do.

7. Cambridge? Really? A man is confronted for breaking into his own house, shows the cop ID, was identified by neighbors and is arrested anyway? If that had happened in my home state the cop would have been shot at. Obama made a conservative comment. I personally was angered and outraged.

8. I have never heard of the Powell Doctrine before. Usually it's called Foreign Relations: Fight a war to win it. (Here's a joke for you: FOX is discussing the new "Cheney Doctrine": breath air with the intention of living.

9. Reagon increased the deficeit by 300% during his eight years. His smaller government idea increased the size of the Federal Government to it's largest post-war size in American History.

10. A Centrist Democrat (n): A Democrat who votes Republican.

Obama is not the evil out of control Jesus-hating, Black Panther-loving destroy America Muslim elitist that the Yellow Press FOX News calls him. Seriously, the only reason FOX has not been shut down years ago is because a.) Murdoch is the richest foreigner in the US, and b.) The Treason and Sedition Act was ruled unconstitutional.

17. B_talltpaguy

B_talltpaguy New Member

You think Obama is alone in thinking people with such an ideology are pathetic Americans? Check out the polls, the only people who like rednecks are other rednecks. Everyone else wishes you people would either grow up or shut up.

18. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    GWB's first term was when the Department of Homeland Security was established, creating yet another enormous governmental bureaucracy: just the type of "big gov't" approach you profess to "detest" and the single greatest expansion of entitlement since the 1960s in the form of Medicare Part D, which was passed without specific funding.

Have you forgotten these minor details or are you just being disingenuous?

19. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Murdoch IS an American. He changed his citizenship so he could own, buy, control tv stations in the USA. He's an utter slimeball for money.
    Rupert Murdoch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

And considering the negative stance several Fox viewers have on any form of immigration, the fact that the man that owns the station is a naturalized citizen makes the irony that much juicier.

Draft saved Draft deleted