clearing computer

chev5700

Experimental Member
Media
hi all

i am about to sell my old computer and naturally wish to get rid of all the stuff ive been looking at and downloading.

is there a program or something i can get off the net to do this.

many thanks

chevy

D

deleted260743

Go to CCleaner.com!!! Its a great hard drive cleaner that gets rid of all this stuff. Its FREE!!!

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
fomat the hard drive and reinstall everything.....truth of the matter is that nothing can ever really be romoved form a computer....there will still be some sort of recorded log deep inside the computer....but the average joe doesn't know how to do that

camchain

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
fomat the hard drive and reinstall everything.....truth of the matter is that nothing can ever really be romoved form a computer....there will still be some sort of recorded log deep inside the computer....but the average joe doesn't know how to do that

SPOT ON.
format is the way to go..

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
SPOT ON.
format is the way to go..
Eh... he's sorta spot on. A low-level format of the hard drive will permanently overwrite every bit of data as it painstakingly writes binary zeros to each sector of the media. Other forms of formatting merely blow away the Master Boot Record (MBR), which is the equivalent of ripping the index out of a book; the pages (your data in this case) are still there and can be accessed. A manufacturer-specific low-level format utility can often be obtained from it's web site, although there is some freeware stuff out there as well.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
hi all

i am about to sell my old computer and naturally wish to get rid of all the stuff ive been looking at and downloading.

is there a program or something i can get off the net to do this.

many thanks

chevy
The only sure way is to remove the Hard Drive. Never get rid of a old computer without removing it. Someone who knows how too can get all your information including where you have been on the internet. Even if you do a clean erase of the drive some shadows will be left and that may be enough to cause you problems.