"Cliches, cliches, cliches"

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Quote from Gramps:
Only a few years ago, nobody had ever heard the word "closure". I'm sick to death of it. It sets my hair on end.
--------

Gawd, Gramps, I hope it isn't because you're so close to it yourself!

:D :D :D :D

(May you live to 150).

Pecker

(After the physical I asked my doctor how I stood.  He said, "That's what puzzles me!")

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm driven to chime in with a couple of my most disliked cliche.
1) when was the last time you heard the word 'doctor' without its being "my doctor"? The doctors I have to pay a fee are not my doctors. They are all doctors that I happen to visit for advice.

2) "I'm worth it". Maybe I am, maybe I'm not!

3) "The American people" would, of course, include Canadanians, Mexicans, and those in South America. How presumptious of citizens of the US to assume we are THE Americans! This misuse helps to cause others to look at us as the pompous people (who were are) perhaps not even thinking about it.

7x6andchg: My understanding of the origin of "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" cliche has to do with actual equine dental health, and not suspecting that a gift someone has given you is in poor condition.

I've never liked "for all intents and purposes" for two reasons: 1. Do you really consider ALL of them before saying it? and 2. the way people mangle it to "all intensive purposes" ARGHGHHGHGH.

7x6&C

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
You can also tell a horse's age by looking at its teeth.

So if you were to receive a nice-looking horse as a gift and, by looking into its mouth, find that it's on its last legs it's your fault. :D

Pecker

(My wife and I got remarried. Our divorce didn't work out.)

awellhungboi: I've never understood why you're not supposed to look a gift horse in the mouth, yet if you want to know the truth about something you've got to get it straight from the horse's mouth. I need to know cause I want to find out how come everytime I lead this horse to water I can't make him drink! "Drink, darn you, drink!"

wvalady1968: Re looking the gift horse in the mouth. Translation: If someone gives you something, you thank them graciously for it and wait until they're gone to inspect it for flaws or value.

;)

Tender: my pet peeve of all cliches is
''''Get Over It""
ugh! :mad:
ive always hated that...
it sounds like "well, your problem is not important as mine, so quit whinning!"
if its an issue for me, then its important even if another thinks its piddly. ya know?
my dad used to say that all the time to me,
hate it! :p

gigantikok: This is a stretch to fit into this topic, but...

Cliche based pun:

Two weevils grew up together on a farm. One weevil stayed behind and spent most of it's days working as a farmer. The other weevil went off to hollywood to become a big movie star. I guess it's safe to say that the farmer is the lesser of two weevils...

oh, and:

Two indians are kayaking across a river. It gets dark and they start to get cold. They decide to light a fire, and the kayak ends up burning and sinking. It certainly proves that you can't have your kayak and heat it too...

:)

Ineligible: I dislike the standard therapist-talk "I hear you". It is supposed to be reassuring, but to me it translates "What you say is of so little importance to me that it's not even worth a proper reply".

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Okay, what I'm about to write about is not actually a cliché, but it is a word-related trend that just bugs the shit out of me, and I wonder if I'm alone in this. Restaurants are now using the word 'guest' rather than 'customer' or 'patron'. If I'm really your guest, why are you expecting me to pay?

Tender: i so agree there.
ugh!
ditto a hundred times lol!

[quote author=Pecker link=board=meetgreet;num=1063306311;start=0#18 date=09/12/03 at 10:23:34]It's not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean.

Ugh.

Pecker

(I wouldn't invest in my brother-in-law's business.  It was a Tall Man's Shop.  In Tokyo.)[/quote]

drrionelli: The thing that disturbs me about cliches is that so many of them are REDUNDANT! How often do you hear people say "close proximity"? Or, "In my opinion, I think"? We hear of rodeo riders "saddling up".

It's irritatingly maddening and frustratingly distressing.