Clothing, in a truly civilised society

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by tbrguy, Jul 7, 2011.

1. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think that, in a truly civilised society, there is no good reason why it should not be a matter of purely personal choice what, if any, clothes a person wears in public.

I will not attempt to rebut all of the expected objections to this point of view, it would take too long and I'm not sure this tread will last long enough to make it worth the effort.

But if it does attract attention, I will happily respond to any reasoned argument as to why this may not be a valid standpoint.

2. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

I think what is socially acceptable is a bit skewed. Women can be practically nude in public but revealing clothing for me is basically non-existent.

More than that though? If tomorrow they legalized public nudity? I would keep wearing clothes. There are two reasons for it;

1.) Society is filthy. The ground is dirty, public bathrooms are dirty, chairs and seats in restaurants and malls, are dirty. I'd wear clothes to put something between my body and the rest of the world. That's to say nothing of what constant nudity might be doing in terms of exposing myself to UV rays and what not.

2.) Clothes serve a necessary function. Beyond modesty there's functionality. I /need/ pockets for my phone and wallet and tickets and pens and things like that. They also shield me from the wind and keep me sheltered from water and snow and the like.

I agree it should be a personal choice. It certainly shouldn't be a crime to be naked in public if you want to be. But I think were that choice given, most people would still opt for clothing, most of the time.

JSZ

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I occasionally push the envelope either with I'm wearing or not wearing. Nothing logical tells me I shouldn't allow anyone to see a sense of my dick. I'm not an exhibitionist but then again I haven't worn underwear since 8th grade. If you don't like what you happened to see, look away, I guess.

4. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Just came across this quotation, attributed to 'anon', and thought it worthy of inclusion:
    "The best thing to do would be to designate everywhere as clothing optional, and we could leave little fenced in areas for the prudes to prance around in. Call them "Prudist Camps". They could peer out of their fences and indulge in their offensive "I'm offended" behaviour whenever they saw a natural person walk by, without bothering the rest of us."

5. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Meh I agree that people should probably feel free to wear whatever clothing they choose to, special circumstances notwithstanding, but I'm fairly glad most people are wearing clothing of some kind or another. I really don't think I could live with looking at an endless parade of flab and mottled goose flesh and various and sundry other unsightly spectacles.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are lots of places here in SoFla where clothing is optional: hotels and "resorts", sex clubs, etc. We also have a wonderful nude beach. I've got a pal who prefers to be nude in his home and encourages others to follow suit, especially in and around the pool.

But clothing serves many purposes. It offers protection from the elements, helps to define one's status, keeps our hands free by storing things we need (like keys, for instance) and is one of the most satisfying forms of adornment.

7. D_Sharon Taint

D_Sharon Taint Account Disabled

I am not against people going naked if they desire, but I'll keep my own, thanks. Clothing is practical stuff and serves many great purposes, like simplifying social encounters... *avoids handshake with swinging dick* :smile:

#7 D_Sharon Taint, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. D_Barbi Bendone

D_Barbi Bendone Account Disabled

I think more people would accept nudity in public if scientists would find a way to stop making our bodies secrete all these nasty oils. But we do need some of those oils to help keep skin healthy. I mean the more smelly kind, like armpit and bad foot odor. And then there are those with special diseases that secrete their symptomatic special type of oils.

I believe our bodies secrete all these types of oils back when the whole human race was in Africa with its intense dry climate. Mother nature has not made an update on this yet.

9. tbrguy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My proposition is/was only that one ought be free to wear or not to wear clothing without fear of the law or public approbrium.

Should we ever reach this utopian situation I expect that few would actually excercise this right on a day to day basis.

But there are areas such as parks, riversides, open country and beaches where I think many more would; and why not?

Children only feel shame and associate nakedness with anything unnatural as a result of learnt behaviour. I can't prove it but I suspect it is these societal "norms" that lead to many hang-ups in later life.

As to bodily secretions polluting the spaces textiles may inhabit later, I'm sure there are worse things on public seating and the average outer garment and suspect anyone going about nude would be a bit careful as to where they sat...

10. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    If nudity reigns at some future point in time:

a) I will wear very dark glasses. With two thirds of Americans overweight or obese, I do not want to witness the flab.

b) I will insist on clothing in my own home -- NO ONE is sitting on my kitchen stools, my dining room chairs or my memory foam sofas without clothes on!

c) I will still wear clothes because they are more effective against UV light than sunscreen. (I don't want subburn.)

d) I like taking my clothes off for titillating purposes. If I don't have any clothes on, then how can I take them off??!! It won't be meaningful anymore.

e) The only nudist camp I ever went to was a snooze-fest.

In summation, I am an exhibitionist, not a nudist.

So there!

11. Ed69

Gold Member

As you can see this will most likely never happen.:frown1:

12. D_Barbi Bendone

D_Barbi Bendone Account Disabled

I hope one day a dermatologist makes a breakthrough in skin oils control, and sells the products or operating procedures cheap so most people can afford it.

Draft saved Draft deleted