Clothing - u save it?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_Diesel Oyl, Oct 2, 2009.

1. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

Questions about clothing:
    - do you buy a lot of it, have way more stuff than you can wear?
    - do you keep stuff a long time, never clean out the closets?
    - do you buy expensive clothing, expensive clothing on sale, moderately-priced clothing?
    - do you spend more on some and less on others (spend a lot on shoes, but much less on shirts...?)

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I like luxurious fabrics and well made clothing, so I guess I buy expensive clothing. However I look at things like this with something that I call the "Cost per wear factor" in that if you spend $1,000.00 on an article of clothing and you wear it a thousand times it comes out to a dollar per wear (plus maintenance & cleaning etc). I tend to favor fairly classic styles that don't look dated after a season or two.
    It is sometimes difficult to find what I'm looking for, so if I find it I buy it. It's a bonus if it's on sale. For the most part I tend to replace things with similar things once they become too worn.
    I clean out my closets twice a year when the seasons change, and if I did not wear it that season it gets tossed or donated depending on it's condition.
    I do however have a jacket that is 33 years old and I can't bear to discard it for sentimental reasons.
    I probably spend the most on shoes because I'm really picky about shoes and I have them re-soled and re-heeled for years.

3. josh20hung

josh20hung Active Member

I usually buy alot more then I can wear .. but thats only because I get bored with clothes really quickly .. some stuff I do buy and keep for a while .. and its usually the items that im willing to spend more on becaue I know i will keep them longer. Stuff like jeans, polos and button up i dont spend alot on because i only wear them a few times.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Yeah I buy a lot of clothes, the cost is less important to me than how they look on me, so I can spend a lot or spend very little. There are certain things I will always spend lots on things such as shoes, jeans, well made formal wear, ties, underwear, and sunglasses, but the rest of my wardrobe can be from American Apparel or Chanel based purely on how it looks on and how it makes me feel.

I have items in my wardrobe that I've had for many many years, normally the better made and more expensive pieces that never go out of style, but the rest gets periodic clear outs. There are one or two things which while I never wear them anymore and which may have been cheap when I bought them do have sentimental value.

5. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

I buy most stuff on sale, better clothing, stuff that does not go out of style

6. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I always have more stuff then I can wear :rolleyes:

I do clean out my closet once a year and give it away to cousins...
    I buy a lot at moments, but don't overdo it.... But I want to spend more on it :tongue:

My clothes aren't cheap, but not always overly expensive.

I hate socks!

7. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    I keep things that wear well and maintain a good appearance for a long time. I get rid of stuff that has gone out of style or relegate it to wearing when cleaning or doing stuff like volunteering to clean up playgrounds, etc.

I spend a lot of money on ties. But they last for a very long time, and I get a lot of compliments on them. I've noticed that since the recession started, prices on Zegna and Brioni ties have fallen back under $200 -- guess there is a bright side to all this.

8. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I am very frugal in my shopping. I purchase only items that are on sale (never pay full price) and I try to look like I spent $200 and know that I only spent $75-100. I am not a label king and it does not bother me to put together work outfits from the sales racks at Macy's of JCPenney.

The only items for which I pay full price are shoes--I only wear Rockports (as I am on my feet all day) and they can be pricey.

Once per season, I go through my closet and give away anything I have not worn in a year. If you have not worn it, someone else can benefit from it.

9. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

I get bored fast too, so dont hold onto things too long, and always have way more clothes than I can ever possibly wear. Have a 15 x 8 ft floor to ceiling wall closet "packed" and a huge walk in closet "packed" plus a garage for out of season stuff...

I usually go with alot of trends, which come and go, so I buy it, often dont wear it cause I dont get to it, then give it away when its out of style. I have some "classic" stuff, but it tends to be a bit too sedate for my personal taste. I am a bit more edgy... No matter how much i try to cut down my buying, it just dont work. I get alot of pleasure out of the "hunt". Shopping relaxes me. I used to spend crazy amounts on clothes, but now I search out the sales. I agree with Nudes "CPW" theory, but i dont wear ANYTHING that often to make it worth while spending a fortune on. The one downside is that in the dating sceen, it seems alot of guys are not into TRENDY, stylish men. They want a jeans a T-shirt kinda guy, a little ruff around the edges, as jeans and a t-shirt should be. Just dont get that prisitne Designer jeans and t-shirt thing. It IS a bit prissy....

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I think maybe clothing choices are a great deal like your sexual preferences. I prefer quality over quantity. When I find something or someone that makes my heart go dancing I want it or him around for a long time. Not to say I have not enjoyed some cheap and tawdry experiences with both men and apparel.

11. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nudeyorker, I believe that you have found an example of "perfect analogy." You can even substitute women for men if you choose.

Draft saved Draft deleted