Cloverfield

WellHung83

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The only part that really made me jump out of my chair and nearly shout FUCK ! was when the they were in the chopper and just taking off, the planes are pelting the monster with bombs and Hud is getting all excited because he thinks they are going away from the mess finally and that the monster is going to get its just deserts. And then BAM ! The monster reaches up and yanks the helicopter and them right out of the sky ! That freaked me out and when the camera went black and totally silent my heart was in my mouth for those on the copter and wondered who survived.

Not bad, 7 out of 10 from me for a science fiction/thriller/action flick. The dialogue is repetative, but they are supposed to be teenagers scared shitless.....the ending is a little predictable. Once you get past the initial camera movements, if your able to, it's not bad. Don't know how many movies there has been now where New York is destroyed by film makers tho:tongue:.......the ummmm.... monster... came across to me as having come from water, going by it's tail....and it's friends:wink:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I liked the movie. The ending made a lot more sense than the ending from Brokeback Mountain did. That creature looked like an all-you-can-eat King Crab Leg night at Red Lobster gone awry with a Carrabbas Italian Grill calamari appetizer on the side (or should I say on ITS sides.) .

I am glad that it didn't look like Godzilla. I just wished that it didn't destroy New York City. Why couldn't it just dance a jig on Ann Coulter instead? Or is he afraid of her? Or maybe SHE is the Cloverfield monster.:rolleyes:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It was better than Cats. I'd see it again and again. :biggrin:

Seriously, I would. I read Ebert's review (he's a good critic but notorious for his spoilers) and even knowing the plot I thought it was quite scary in some parts.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It was better than Cats. I'd see it again and again. :biggrin:

Seriously, I would. I read Ebert's review (he's a good critic but notorious for his spoilers) and even knowing the plot I thought it was quite scary in some parts.

Oh, snap. Do you think that they would have CLOVERFIELD-the musical?
That would be so fucking cool. That would be damntastic.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Blair witch was a low budget film. This is not low budget, you get a lot of explosions and CGI destruction effects.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I saw the film. And those are the precise reasons I said it should be seen on the big screen. Something I didn't find held true for Blair Witch.

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
anyone english (because it isn't out in england yet :()ho wants to see cloverfield quickly online - it's on surfthechannel.com ;)

i'm desperate enough, so i'm gonna watch it now

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The funny thing about Cloverfield is that people talk about the buzz and the before hype...but the genius of the movie is that all of the backstory is the hype.

Newsmedia has been talking about the websites that sprung up in light of the movie being released, but none of them ever really paid any attention to what the sites were giving.

*There was -- which gave these interactive pictures with insight to the actual movie

*Then there was Slusho! - You Can't Drink Just Six.; which was a site dedicated to the ultra-delicious iced drink that has more to do with the origins of the monster than iced treats

*There was TAGRUATO CORP. which happened to be the sister company to Slusho and had a couple of other websites that were linked to the origin of this monster

*There was also the fact that all of the characters of the movie had myspace accounts that were updated frequently with info that lead up to the movie date.

On top of that there were three major fansites (cloverfieldclues, project cloverfield and 1-18-08News.com) who constantly followed all information regarding the company.

In a sense, J.J Abrams tactic of virally giving the first half of the story to the masses backfired because you have a shitload of people who didn't get into the mele and figure out what was going on.

So...yeah. In a nutshell, the backstory was given...just not in the movie.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah...I knew nothing about the viral. So I walked into the movie and just felt like I was giving a mind fuck. And I hate being mind fucked.

In fact, I don't even want to read all those sites you posted because the movie left that big of a bad taste in my mouth. Can you summarize the backstory? Or maybe someone put it up on Wikipedia...I'll check there I guess.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There's two stories like there are two different stories going on in the movie.

Honestly, I didn't follow along with the character myspace pages because I felt like I was getting to "fanboy-like" with my obsession. However, Rob and Beth were really good friends who took it to another level and you can read the comments that lead up to that moment.

Oddly though, one of the most backstory'd characters, Jaime Scirano, only has a three minute part of the movie.

There's a site dedicated to her boyfriend Teddy who's overseas...actually, her boyfriend works at the same company Rob was going to transfer to in Japan...Targuato.

For the monster: The creator of slusho got so involved with creating drinks that she went on an oceanic excursion for new flavors and never came back. Her son, bent on revenge became an ocean scientist and got mixed up with the wrong people. He ended being involved in a major waste dumping plot off the coast of Japan which, thus spawned the Cloverfield monster.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My 15 year old saw this and hated it, but he also had not seen Blair Witch and I think he was going expecting your typical Hollywood, nothing left to the imagination horror flick.

Today they are reporting in some areas that Cloverfield is suffering the same effect Blair Witch did with the filming style:

Hit Horror Flick Leaving Local Moviegoers Queasy

Personally I am still dying to see it and even moreso after Yngjocks synopsis. Out of curiosity yngjock, did you like Blair Witch or not? I wasn't as impressed with it and you being a thinker, I wanted your take on the comparison if there really can be one.

There's two stories like there are two different stories going on in the movie.

Honestly, I didn't follow along with the character myspace pages because I felt like I was getting to "fanboy-like" with my obsession. However, Rob and Beth were really good friends who took it to another level and you can read the comments that lead up to that moment.

Oddly though, one of the most backstory'd characters, Jaime Scirano, only has a three minute part of the movie.

There's a site dedicated to her boyfriend Teddy who's overseas...actually, her boyfriend works at the same company Rob was going to transfer to in Japan...Targuato.

For the monster: The creator of slusho got so involved with creating drinks that she went on an oceanic excursion for new flavors and never came back. Her son, bent on revenge became an ocean scientist and got mixed up with the wrong people. He ended being involved in a major waste dumping plot off the coast of Japan which, thus spawned the Cloverfield monster.

B_enter today

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I thought the movie was awsome, regardless of what some people say, the camera recorder was brilliant because it captured first person shots amazingly. Plus, it captured the element of chaos, not knowing what was going on, and not having a clue to what was happening other than what was right in front of you. It was really good.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Osiris, I did see Blair Witch Project...On halloween in the 6th grade and many times after that.

The only similarity between Blair Witch and Cloverfield are that they are filmed "Documentary" style. Other than that there's really no similarities.

I didn't really care for Blair Witch because there were too many empty scare tactics employed to make that movie really scary. It was basically like, "Oh, look over there!" and then there was nothing.

Cloverfield actually had something to be scared of, and it was even more real because there was no definite ending or idea behind what it was that was attacking the city. In real life, there wouldn't be a one-legged scientist/ monster hunter to tell the world every detail about what the hell is going on so that we can run in peace. No one would know what the fuck was happening.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I'm going to have to pass on this, as I got a headache from the hand held camera stuff in BLAIR WITCH, and the rapid shifting in the Robin Williams movie MAN OF THE YEAR produced nausea. I can probably deal with it on a small screen.

As for the Godzilla comparison. You know, it was heard to rewatch that flick after 9/11...

Beef Stroganoff

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I liked the movie and, in particular, I liked the fact that the director and writer(s) felt no need to explain what the monster was. I am so glad there was no Jeff Goldblum-style character to offer his rational explanation as to the creature's origin and a means for killing it. The monster just is. And the movie just is people doing what people would most likely do in a similar scenerio...minus the whole (SPOILER ALERT!)--

--saving the girlfriend bit. She can hang.

Also, I really enjoyed the trailers prior to the movie: "IronMan", "Hellboy II", and esp. "The Ruins". I'm a sucker for well-done horror and I felt from the get-go upon reading the book that "The Ruins" was meant to be translated to the screen. As I said in the "Worst Books..." thread, it was one of the worst books I've ever read - twice! - simply because it was so dark and despairing, perfect for the proper Hollywood treatment.

SpitFireWheels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I saw the movie and it was pretty cool. As for the storyline... They actually have a few fake viral sites that tie in with the movie. One is slusho.jp and the other is tagurto.jp or something along those lines. I think something happened where the monster was sleeping and it woke up. There are better explanations out there on what people have come up with. If you're interested you should look it up

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Osiris, I did see Blair Witch Project...On halloween in the 6th grade and many times after that.

The only similarity between Blair Witch and Cloverfield are that they are filmed "Documentary" style. Other than that there's really no similarities.

I didn't really care for Blair Witch because there were too many empty scare tactics employed to make that movie really scary. It was basically like, "Oh, look over there!" and then there was nothing.

Cloverfield actually had something to be scared of, and it was even more real because there was no definite ending or idea behind what it was that was attacking the city. In real life, there wouldn't be a one-legged scientist/ monster hunter to tell the world every detail about what the hell is going on so that we can run in peace. No one would know what the fuck was happening.

Thanks yngjock. I trust your opinion on this as you and I have the same basic opinion on Blair Witch so I will take the advice of a solid film lover.

I'll report back after I see it. Hopefully I'll be over this bronchitis this weekend to go.

Thank you again.

WellHung83

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think a major complaint coming through after people see this movie is that for the most part movie audiences have become somewhat jaded with the whole Hollywood system and the hype, and so go into certain genre movies expecting more of the same that has come before. In that regard all thought Cloverfield was gonna be another Godzilla or all action with everything explained at the end type deal. What they got instead was something very different and like all things when you don't get what you want it can sometimes piss off a lot of people.