Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Another (yes, another!) debate for the Republican presidential candidates has been scheduled for December 27, but this time Donald Trump is the appointed moderator.

Jeremy W. Peters said:
It’s officially a reality television Republican primary now.

Donald Trump is pairing up with Newsmax, the conservative magazine and news Web site, to moderate a presidential debate in Des Moines on Dec. 27. (Source)
Keith Olbermann's response on Twitter to the headline "Trump to Moderate Republican Debate": "Clown to host circus."

Ron Paul and Jon Huntsman have both refused to participate.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The GOP primaries this year truly are the political version of American Idol.
In an interview with Christiane Amanpour today, Barney Frank compared the Republican presidential field with the cast of The Wizard of Oz: he got as far casting Mitt Romney as the Tin Woodsman (every part of him has been replaced with something else), Rick Perry as the Scarecrow (needs a brain), and Newt Gingrich as the Wizard, because "there's nothing there." I wish she had let him explain the rest of the casting.

Barney Frank Casts GOP Candidates for 'The Wizard of Oz' | Video Cafe

travis1985

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Paul and Huntsman aren't my favorite ones, but I have to respect them for turning down a debate that's such a blatant media spectacle. They should all be refusing this one. It shows a little self-respect. I'd say the same if Perez Hilton was hosting a Democratic debate.

tamati

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
news flash! the GOP does not really want to win (again).

their plan is to have barry win by a slim margin so they can continue to intentionally sabotage the economy till the next election, then in 2016 swoop in and save US all.

this was the plan all along. and its why palin was added as VP to ticket the last time around. they got scared mcain might win, and would have to take the fall failing to fix dubya's mess.

plus, as an extra GOP bonus, if they can pin their manufactured mess on obama well enough, we may not see a black president for another 50 years or more.

watch...if job numbers go up for a few more months, expect a bunch of layoffs to bring things back down to a screeching halt.

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
news flash! the GOP does not really want to win (again).

their plan is to have barry win by a slim margin so they can continue to intentionally sabotage the economy till the next election, then in 2016 swoop in and save US all.

this was the plan all along. and its why palin was added as VP to ticket the last time around. they got scared mcain might win, and would have to take the fall failing to fix dubya's mess.

plus, as an extra GOP bonus, if they can pin their manufactured mess on obama well enough, we may not see a black president for another 50 years or more.

watch...if job numbers go up for a few more months, expect a bunch of layoffs to bring things back down to a screeching halt.
Your speculations are hugely implausible, and the certainty with which you offer them is completely misplaced. In both respects, they remind me of the conspiracy fantasies of BigBoy10 (see the thread "9/11 and new world order") and former member Hobbleme ("UH OH! HERE WE GO AGAIN! Only for Conspiracy Theorists!"). Looks to me like a case of hyperactive agency detection:
Steven Novella said:
Something does not seem quite right. The most powerful man in the world, John F. Kennedy, was taken out by a lone nutjob of no previous consequence? A jet flies into the pentagon and yet the expected debris is not visible. And why can’t I see stars in the NASA Apollo moon landing photos?

Some hidden agent must be at work, conspiring to deceive and carry out some sinister plot.

At least that is how our brains are hardwired to think, and some of us more than others. This tendency has been termed the “hyperactive (or hypersensitive) agency detection device” - HADD – coined by Justin Barrett. Understanding that HADD is an intrinsic part of human nature is part of the core knowledge base of the skeptic. . . .

Skepticism, in many ways, is a filter on HADD. First we have to recognize that our brains are not perfect perceivers and processors of information. There are specific and myriad ways in which the human brain is biased and flawed. Science and skepticism are methods for correcting or filtering out those biases. Skeptics ask themselves – is it really true. We see many patterns, but only some of those patterns represent underlying reality. We need a process to sort out which ones are real – that is science and skepticism.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The GOP primaries this year truly are the political version of American Idol.

I hadn't thought they'd risen to that level:biggrin1:. Considering I am not a fan of American Idol, that should say how terrible I have found these "debates" to be. After the first few I had to stop watching it was giving me bad headaches.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Old Newt's been having private meetings with The Donald. I wonder what they're talking about...

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
In an interview with Christiane Amanpour today, Barney Frank compared the Republican presidential field with the cast of The Wizard of Oz: he got as far casting Mitt Romney as the Tin Woodsman (every part of him has been replaced with something else), Rick Perry as the Scarecrow (needs a brain), and Newt Gingrich as the Wizard, because "there's nothing there." I wish she had let him explain the rest of the casting.

Barney Frank Casts GOP Candidates for 'The Wizard of Oz' | Video Cafe

Marcus Bachmann would be too improbably typecast as The Cowardly Lion: the obviousness would serve as a distraction. Hillary, of course and always, is The Wicked Witch of the West; Dorothy is, sadly, the electorate in general.

I hozie Toto: alls I gotta do is be cute on cue :cool:

I cannot understand what people have against Ron Paul.

Because he's the mayor of Munchkin City (or, perhaps as an MD he's actually The Coroner :rolleyes:). Why is Glenda lurking under Audrey II?

I hadn't thought they'd risen to that level:biggrin1:. Considering I am not a fan of American Idol, that should say how terrible I have found these "debates" to be. After the first few I had to stop watching it was giving me bad headaches.

I don't watch broadcast TV and have resisted anything beyond the live-bloggings of Josh Marshall and Andrew Sullivan as regards the debates. Trust me when I say that I've been sufficiently apprised of the proceedings without having to have suffered through them in real time.

D_PinkieAreola

Account Disabled
Media
I don't know about the rest of you but the Republican Primaries are like Christmas every morning. The debates are are so ridiculous I'm surprised more comedy writers aren't unemployed. Mitt Romney is as exciting as watching shuffleboard at a nursing home. Newt Gringrich is a walking model of political corruption. Herman Cain, nuff said. Bachmann, Huntsman, and Santorum are barely relevant. Ron Paul is that fine line between brilliance and insanity, but is completely unelectable. I hope he sticks around though because he's the smartest person on the stage.

Obama is going to intellectually butcher who ever gets picked out of the bunch. I feel like every plausible name is waiting for 2016. They're making a mistake there might not be a party to run or by that time. The hatred for Obama will consume he party.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I think Obama couched the GOP circus best when a reporter asked him who he thought had the qualities of a real front runner and he answered (I'm paraphrasing a bit here) "I've been too busy to pay any attention. I'm just waiting for the last one to be voted off the island."

D

deleted15807

I don't know about the rest of you but the Republican Primaries are like Christmas every morning. The debates are are so ridiculous I'm surprised more comedy writers aren't unemployed. Mitt Romney is as exciting as watching shuffleboard at a nursing home. Newt Gringrich is a walking model of political corruption. Herman Cain, nuff said. Bachmann, Huntsman, and Santorum are barely relevant. Ron Paul is that fine line between brilliance and insanity, but is completely unelectable. I hope he sticks around though because he's the smartest person on the stage.

Obama is going to intellectually butcher who ever gets picked out of the bunch. I feel like every plausible name is waiting for 2016. They're making a mistake there might not be a party to run or by that time. The hatred for Obama will consume he party.

Exact on all points :smile:. As for comedy I recall when Palin was running and Saturday Night Live and Tina Fey did the skits. They didn't have to write a thing. Just run it from the top and the same is true today. Rick Perry?? Herman Cain?? Michelle Bachmann?? It's comedy (tragic) straight from the top, no embellishments needed.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Romney declined to participate a few days ago, leaving the gathering to the pure clowns; but now, besides Herman Cain having "suspended" his candidacy, Michele Bachmann has turned Trump down, which considerably diminishes the potential entertainment value of the event. Now all that remain are Newt Gingrich and the two half-wits, Perry and Santorum.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Romney declined to participate a few days ago, leaving the gathering to the pure clowns; but now, besides Herman Cain having "suspended" his candidacy, Michele Bachmann has turned Trump down, which considerably diminishes the potential entertainment value of the event. Now all that remain are Newt Gingrich and the two half-wits, Perry and Santorum.

This is the most heartening Republican news I've heard in some time.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

Which will make Newt appear as an absolute genius. I can't say for sure, but I think millions have waited a long time for Newt to seem like a genius.:biggrin1:

rubirosa

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Finally we have someone ( Trump ) who isn't afraid to ask the Questions that the other PUSSIES are to scared to cover. Kudos to Donald Trump!!!! Wake up America before it's to late....