CO2 is Life?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by headbang8, May 21, 2006.

1. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    They can't be serious. Do you know anything about these people, DCDEEP? Has anyone seen these ads on air?

http://streams.cei.org/

2. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to worry. Industry spends a lot of money encouraging everyone to believe we can consume our way out of any crisis.

3. dreamer20

Gold Member

The percentage of elemental O2 in the atmosphere was ~20 % in 1977. Now it is ~15%. We have nowhere to flee to when the O2 levels get too low. Then the remaining gases, including CO2, will mean death. That is why the world's rulers need to take this problem seriously and do something about it before it is too late.

lol dreamer20

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Aw, headbang, thanks for looking to me for expert advice. Unfortunately, the one time I'm asked directly, I don't have an answer. I have never heard of them, have never seen the ads. I'm a bit wary, though. I watched the ads and a couple of red flags immediately went up. Yes, carbon dioxide IS natural, is necessary for life on earth, is exhaled by animal life and inhaled by plant life... but they don't mention that the atmospheric balance of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide is very precise and delicate, and that an imbalance will make our atmosphere poisonous. They imply that "more is better" and that just simply is false. We would die without the essential minerals iron and copper, but it only takes micrograms in excess to become lethal poisons. The other red flag was their "evidence" of conflicting research on global warming. I'm wary of the evidence presented on both sides, because we just don't know how much of it is due to macrocycles of the earth's climates. But most of the evidence I have seen DOES indicate a general warming trend, and their research claims that the opposite is true. I have seen the satellite photos of the receding arctic ice cap.

My conclusion? These guys are the insidious types who use half-truths and crunch the numbers to advocate the use of more fossil fuels. That scares me.

5. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

Sez who?

Normal percentage of oxygen in dry air is 20.95%. With relative humidity in the normal 40-60% range, that drops to 20.8%.

OSHA defines atmospheres containing less than 19.5% as hazardous.

Were the atmosphere down to anything like a 15% oxygen level, we'd already be gone.

6. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

:tongue: I can't believe I read past this the first time around... just the chemist in me, but I gotta nitpick a little. There is no elemental oxygen in our atmosphere. All the oxygen and nitrogen in our atmosphere are molecular, that's why they both have the "subscript 2" after them. And I agree with dirigible, I'm not sure I would trust those numbers.

7. dreamer20

Gold Member

The percentage of O2 in the atmosphere is ~20%. Sorry mates.
    I stand corrected. I had consulted an unreliable source. I hope that the global warming issue isn't suspect as well.

lol dreamer20

8. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Of course, DCD. You're everyone's favourite Beltway leather daddy. Keep an eye onthe Hog Cabin Republicans for us.

9. baseball99

baseball99 New Member

I thought HONCl BRIF was just some hung chemist?

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

??? HUH????

11. baseball99

baseball99 New Member

H2 O2 N2 Cl2 Br2 I2 F2

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

DOH! One of the many mnemonics I never saw before....

13. baseball99

baseball99 New Member

somehow i remember that from high school bio yet some of the pnemonics i learned in med school have flown far from my head

Draft saved Draft deleted