CO2 is Life?

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
SpeedoGuy said:
Not to worry. Industry spends a lot of money encouraging everyone to believe we can consume our way out of any crisis.
The percentage of elemental O2 in the atmosphere was ~20 % in 1977. Now it is ~15%. We have nowhere to flee to when the O2 levels get too low. Then the remaining gases, including CO2, will mean death. That is why the world's rulers need to take this problem seriously and do something about it before it is too late.

lol dreamer20

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
headbang8 said:
They can't be serious. Do you know anything about these people, DCDEEP? Has anyone seen these ads on air?

http://streams.cei.org/
Aw, headbang, thanks for looking to me for expert advice. Unfortunately, the one time I'm asked directly, I don't have an answer. I have never heard of them, have never seen the ads. I'm a bit wary, though. I watched the ads and a couple of red flags immediately went up. Yes, carbon dioxide IS natural, is necessary for life on earth, is exhaled by animal life and inhaled by plant life... but they don't mention that the atmospheric balance of nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide is very precise and delicate, and that an imbalance will make our atmosphere poisonous. They imply that "more is better" and that just simply is false. We would die without the essential minerals iron and copper, but it only takes micrograms in excess to become lethal poisons. The other red flag was their "evidence" of conflicting research on global warming. I'm wary of the evidence presented on both sides, because we just don't know how much of it is due to macrocycles of the earth's climates. But most of the evidence I have seen DOES indicate a general warming trend, and their research claims that the opposite is true. I have seen the satellite photos of the receding arctic ice cap.

My conclusion? These guys are the insidious types who use half-truths and crunch the numbers to advocate the use of more fossil fuels. That scares me.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dreamer20 said:
The percentage of elemental O2 in the atmosphere was ~20 % in 1977. Now it is ~15%.

Sez who?

Normal percentage of oxygen in dry air is 20.95%. With relative humidity in the normal 40-60% range, that drops to 20.8%.

OSHA defines atmospheres containing less than 19.5% as hazardous.

Were the atmosphere down to anything like a 15% oxygen level, we'd already be gone.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dreamer20 said:
The percentage of elemental O2 in the atmosphere was ~20 % in 1977....
lol dreamer20
:tongue: I can't believe I read past this the first time around... just the chemist in me, but I gotta nitpick a little. There is no elemental oxygen in our atmosphere. All the oxygen and nitrogen in our atmosphere are molecular, that's why they both have the "subscript 2" after them. And I agree with dirigible, I'm not sure I would trust those numbers.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The percentage of O2 in the atmosphere is ~20%. Sorry mates.
I stand corrected. I had consulted an unreliable source. I hope that the global warming issue isn't suspect as well.

lol dreamer20

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
:tongue: I can't believe I read past this the first time around... just the chemist in me, but I gotta nitpick a little. There is no elemental oxygen in our atmosphere. All the oxygen and nitrogen in our atmosphere are molecular, that's why they both have the "subscript 2" after them. And I agree with dirigible, I'm not sure I would trust those numbers.

I thought HONCl BRIF was just some hung chemist?

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
DC_DEEP said:
DOH! One of the many mnemonics I never saw before....

somehow i remember that from high school bio yet some of the pnemonics i learned in med school have flown far from my head