Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've been told I'm a little bit of a coffee snob. I prefer to think I'm an aficionado.

Here my routine for making a cup of joe.:

- Pull out the coffee from the freezer.

- Grind up the beans, usually I'll be drinking Columbian or Kona if I have it.

- Put the coffee into my French Press.

- Then I'll also grind up some whole nutmeg, stick cinnamon, or both over the coffee

- Add the boiling water and brew.

- Cream and sugar to taste

Does anyone else go that extra step for "good" coffee or am I really just a coffee snob?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've been told I'm a little bit of a coffee snob. I prefer to think I'm an aficionado.

Here my routine for making a cup of joe.:

- Pull out the coffee from the freezer.

- Grind up the beans, usually I'll be drinking Columbian or Kona if I have it.

- Put the coffee into my French Press.

- Then I'll also grind up some whole nutmeg, stick cinnamon, or both over the coffee

- Add the boiling water and brew.

- Cream and sugar to taste

Does anyone else go that extra step for "good" coffee or am I really just a coffee snob?
A true afiionado takes his coffee Black and naked :biggrin1:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sounds like a lot of work. I usually only have coffee at home on my days off from work. I buy whatever is decent and on sale. I just finished the Folgers and opened a Chock full O nuts. I used a Automatic drip coffee maker. I add both powdered creamer and half and half and also equal. I like my coffee like my men, very light and artificially sweet.:biggrin1:

fake

Sexy Member
Media

Word to that; black, bold, good. I keep my beans at room temp in an airtight container next to my grinder.

I think just reaching the point where you refuse to drink coffee that hasn't come from a fresh press qualifies you as a coffee snob.

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

ok maybe aficionado was the wrong word. I was meaning the pursuit of better coffee taste rather than settling for bitter dirty brown water I've had that's been called coffee.

Which is why I go through my process rather than just scooping store bought grounds into the coffee maker.

fake

Sexy Member
Media
I've been trying to go black coffee for a little while. Not quite there yet.:redface:

You'll get there man. Once you find the right beans you'll realize that it would be a sin to add anything to the cup of coffee brewed with them.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I, too, use a French press.
I'm told the French call it La Meilleure, which means, the best. (Sounds like advertising talk, though.)
I don't grind the beans freshly each time. I buy a small amount of ground coffee (I have it ground a bit more coarsely than is usually suggested for a French press, because I like the texture) and use it quickly. Probably a compromise, but I don't find any problem.
The only coffee I drink black is espresso, which I only sometimes make.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We call it a cafetiere, I'm the opposite of a coffee snob, I don't particularly enjoy the taste of coffee so it's weak instant coffee for me, as long as it's wet and warm and weak, most people find the coffee I normally make practically undrinkable.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've been trying to go black coffee for a little while. Not quite there yet.:redface:

There is a guy I work with who drink black coffee with no sugar. I'd have to be on Fear Factor to do that.

I don't even like McD's coffee because it's too hot even after I add 5 creamers.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Similar to Mem0101, I buy whatever is on sale and decent in the land of coffee for home drinking purposes. I always drink the coffee black, no milk, cream or powders and no sweetners or flavorings to distract from and distort the natural flavor coffee should have.

Away from home, I have found places which make decent coffee and places which make crap coffee. Serve me bad coffee twice and I will never return to the establishment (but not before informing the owner or manager of my discontent).

I only purchase coffee beans occasionally, and I enjoy chewing on them (eating them). They are very tasty and the crunch is friendly to the mouth.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I guess I really don't like coffee I just like the coffee flavor. What I drink is usually a cafe-au-lait.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I love the coffee here in Spain. If I want it nice and sweet I'll have a "leche leche" strong white coffee poured over condensed milk served in a small glass. Ordinarily though I'll have a "cortado" which is the same as the above without the condensed milk. After work on a Friday I'll take a walk to the local bar and have a "baraquitto" which is a "leche leche" plus a layer of liqueur 43 and a piece of lemon peel.

It's a nice change from the UK where the choice tends to be "black" or "white" :rolleyes:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am with Thoreau on this one. Thanks for starting this thread. I have been working on my coffee technology for a while now. I am ready to move beyond the French Press. You see, I am an engineer, so its in my nature to always want to improve a process and to obsess over the smallest details. This kind of thinking easily comes over to such things as cooking and coffee.

I have done my research and have come to a few conclusions based on what I have learned.

• Coffee beans go stale in about a week after they have been roasted.
  • Unroasted coffee beans can last a number of years.
  • It is quite reasonable to purchase a home roaster for a few hundred dollars. They are not huge nor is the process very difficult.
  • Or, one can usually find a place the roasts beans daily near where you live, or you buy them mail order.
  • Beans should be ground right before use, by a burr grinder (rather than the ones with the spinning blades).
  • The best coffee is made with a simple technique that was invented in the 1800s and was used around the world up slightly after WWWII when people, especially Americans, started trading off taste for convenience. It is called a vaccuum brewer. Here is an example of the one I am buying. I will use the hemp filters, which filter as good as paper, but don't introduce the paper taste.
More later. I have to run off to the airport.