Coffee Snob?

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I absolutely love coffee, but I do not take the time to treat myself with amazing coffee like you do. I just use the regular Folgers that is already ground and put it in a cheap plain-Jane coffee maker. When it's ready I pour it into my coffee mug and add some hot cocoa powder. :)

I would not say you are a "coffee snob", you just like to treat yourself to amazing coffee!! :)

I would probably do the same if I didn't live at home. (My mom doesn't understand shelling out a lot of money for good coffee)

D

deleted213967

I've been told I'm a little bit of a coffee snob. I prefer to think I'm an aficionado.

Here my routine for making a cup of joe.:

- Add the boiling water and brew.

- Cream and sugar to taste

...am I really just a coffee snob?

Dude,

You mean you use TAP water?

I use spring water only for both coffee and tea.

I use premium 103%-guilt-free organic shade sustainable El Salvador whole beans that I grind daily and prepare it in a 18/10 stainless steel Italian coffee maker on a natural gas stove.

Still, I don't consider myself a coffee snob because as I do occasionally ruin it with 1/3 teaspoon of free-range USDA 100% organic brown sugar.

...and this being Seattle and all...

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dude,

You mean you use TAP water?

I use premium 103%-guilt-free organic shade sustainable El Salvador whole beans that I grind daily and prepare it in a 18/10 stainless steel Italian coffee maker on a natural gas stove.

Still, I don't consider myself a coffee snob because as I do occasionally ruin it with 1/3 teaspoon of free-range USDA 100% organic brown sugar.

Brown sugar... does that REALLY taste good in coffee? I've never thought to try that.

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some times I do use a brita filter only if I have time to. For me water is water.

Never tried brown sugar more than once or twice. But it might be interesting to add to the mix.

Dude,

You mean you use TAP water? Such Distain. :(

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
The best coffee is made with a simple technique that was invented in the 1800s and was used around the world up slightly after WWWII when people, especially Americans, started trading off taste for convenience. It is called a vaccuum brewer. Here is an example of the one I am buying. I will use the hemp filters, which filter as good as paper, but don't introduce the paper taste.

Have you tried it?
How long does it take to make?
How would you describe the taste?
(I notice it's not that expensive, JA. Maybe worth looking at.)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

103%? What an odd number.

Free-range sugar, the kind that is allowed to roam beyond a fence?:wink:

If Frasier and Niles were real they would call you a snob.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Nice to know I've been outsnobbed by some *coughs* JustAsking! I used to work in an early 19th Century re-enactment site but we didn't have the vaccuum brewers... Probably because hot chocolate was all the rage at that point. I did roast my fair share of coffee with an iron coffee roaster - talk about sore arms!

I buy my beans from a shop that roasts them daily (organic, free-trade, bird-friendly etc.) and I get them shipped over 1000kms, a pound at a time. I don't keep them in the freezer or fridge because flavours transfer. Instead, I keep the beans in their bag and grind a little at a time. Filtered water, coffee press and a bone china mug. No sugar, no cream/milk.

Folger's, Maxwell House and Tim Horton's (basically Folger's) are not coffee in my mind.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some times I do use a brita filter only if I have time to. For me water is water.

Never tried brown sugar more than once or twice. But it might be interesting to add to the mix.

I'm just guessing here... but the water in New Mexico is probably pretty pure... I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there have been scary toxicology reports in your area.

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
103%? What an odd number.

Free-range sugar, the kind that is allowed to roam beyond a fence?:wink:

If Frasier and Niles were real they would call you a snob.

lol Yeah, Mem... they have to use a cattle guard to keep it from roaming where it shouldn't!

Mandee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That's up there with the people that pronounce the L in Salmon.

OMG I absolutely hate when people do that. When I was a nanny for two months in Florida, it drove me nuts when the middle child would pronounce it that way. I swear those kids were addicted to salmon and they wanted to eat it daily... it annoyed the crap out of me every time she asked me to cook some. I am SO glad I do not live with that child anymore.

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm just guessing here... but the water in New Mexico is probably pretty pure... I wouldn't worry too much about it unless there have been scary toxicology reports in your area.

Far as I know the water is clean, Rio Grande river water not so much. But whats pumped out of the aquifer I'm assuming is cleaned to be potable enough to drink.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
I was brought up with Nescafe in boiled water with milk and sugar. It wasn't until I went to Italy did I discover what coffee really tastes like.

I too have become quite a snob and have tried to reproduce the same taste as Italian espressos but it never quite seems right.

French coffee is much weaker and doesn't give me that kick when I drink it. Turkish coffee is pleasant but I don't like all that powder, filter coffee can be enjoyable but none have the same effect on me as Italian espresso!

I'm saving up for a superior Italian Espresso maker.

D_Hyacinth Harrytwat

Account Disabled
Media
Far as I know the water is clean, Rio Grande river water not so much. But whats pumped out of the aquifer I'm assuming is cleaned to be potable enough to drink.

:eek: An aquifer???? Sure it might not be toxic... But isn't the water a little more "flavourful" than normal? Maybe your aquifer isn't so bad but I've never had water from one that didn't taste like rust.

D

deleted213967

Thoreau,

You can find excellent spring water by the gallon for about a buck. As for my last post, you understand I was being facetious, right?

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:eek: An aquifer???? Sure it might not be toxic... But isn't the water a little more "flavourful" than normal? Maybe your aquifer isn't so bad but I've never had water from one that didn't taste like rust.

It does sometimes have trace sediments which is why sometimes I use a filter. And a lot of people complain about the "hard water" problem. It depends are where you living in NM though. I'm living in the city so the water is pretty clean and my apt has a water softener.

But, I went to HS outside the city and you had to deal with the water as is and this was before I cared about coffee so I had gotten used to the plain old NM tap water taste to brew it with and I don't much mind it now.

Ok, that was an interesting tangent to digress on. I'd like to hear some more of people's coffee preferences and techniques.