Cold weather running??

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by P0KEY, Dec 28, 2009.

1. P0KEY

P0KEY New Member

Albums:
    So I really want to get back in shape for the new year, and I want to start running again but I live in Buffalo, Ny now, and the weather is cold, windy, and there is lots of snow..So what would be the best running gear for me?? I dont wanna be cold, but I dont wanna feel heavy, or confined..Any help is great..thanks.

2. nowayzomg

nowayzomg Member

Albums:
    Besides a warm hat and a scarf, long underwear can really keep you warm. Also thick socks on top of your regular socks help your feet from getting cold. If your feet are warm, it helps the rest of the body a lot.

3. ubered

ubered New Member

I'd wear winter running leggins. You can get them from sports shops in different thicknesses for different temperatures. They're all light and don't restrict movement. There are fleece-type zip tops too.

I'd also warm up at home, run on the spot for 10 minutes to get you warm before you go out. Then you don't feel the cold as much - once you get started you won't want lots of layers and wooly hats on.

Oh, and mind the ice. :biggrin1:

4. bippy

bippy Member

Sweat pants and sweat shirt? That's pretty standard around here....

5. dickbeater27

dickbeater27 Member

Albums:
    I have been running a lot during cold weather and most of what i wear is running jackets or half zips that i have gotten from running stores. Also, under armor helps when it is really cold. I still havent found anything to keep my penis from freezing. sometimes it hurts so bad afterwards

6. hud01

Gold Member

Personally, I would look for local school or rec center with an indoor track. The other thing I would suggest is to make sure your mouth is covered if it gets below 20 or 25. You can actually harm your lungs if you breath in cold air for too long as you are taking deeper breaths than if you were doing normal activity.

7. craf

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    it has recently gotten very cold where I live and I have considered buying the running 'tights', since baggy 'wind pants' aren't really my style. I'm still hesitent because I don't really like running around in a spandex suit on the busy road where I normally run.

8. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Yeah, no joke find a gym with an indoor track or run on the treadmill. How do you run outdoors in Buffalo during the winter with all of that damn snow and ice you get up there? I would be worried about slipping on some ice and breaking a leg.

Underarmor is pretty nice for running in cold weather, but our coldest winter days here in Southeastern VA are probably pretty balmy compared to an average winter day in Buffalo!

9. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    depends where you are, city property is always clear. and people are pretty good at keeping up with the sidewalk. in my neighborhood, most people have snowblowers.

10. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    Move. Seriously. Buffalo sucks. I lived there for two years. It is a miserable shit hole. And then there is the weather...

If you must stay, just join the BAC and use the treadmill for the winter. I always found that it is WAYYYY too cold in Buffalo to run outdoors in the winter. UnderArmour cold gear helps a little, but it was never warm enough for me. Buffalo is indescribably cold...

11. musclebare9

Gold Member

Agree with some of the earlier posts here. Running in very cold weather is a bad idea, temperatures around 20 degrees can cause damage. Oxygen transfer in the lungs occurs when air contacts very small fragile blood vessels. When running in very cold weather (such as Buffalo), it is possible to bring in enough frigid air to freeze these blood vessels and damage them. The long term result is reduced oxygen transfer which means lower endurance. There are probably articles on the web about cold weather running. I have read several in running magazines. Cold air is also typically dry. The human body adjusts by producing extra moisture at the nose to condition the dry air. Be prepared to wipe your nose/face a lot.

12. NCbear

Gold Member

I used to ride my bicycle in really cold weather. I dropped my entire cock-'n'-ballsack area into a short sock and then a longer sock and then into a pair of bicycle shorts and then into some windbreaker cycling leggings. Only then did my dick stay warm enough.

Also, I wore a facemask that wrapped around my ears, as well as a pair of thin headwraps over my (developing) bald spot, and put my helmet on over all of it. Difficult to spit, let me tell you!

Gloves and several layers over my torso (including a windbreaker jacket) completed the ensemble. And then I was just BARELY warm enough to keep going for about an hour in subzero winds.

That was when I was in my early twenties. Now, I just use the stationary bicycles in the gym from November through February.

NCbear (who plans to get back on the bicycle after going to the doctor in a few minutes to see whether I've got a sinus infection AGAIN :rolleyes: )

#12 NCbear, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  13. Torque8

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Agree with musclebare and others in terms of thinking that running in cold weather is a bad idea. Tho it doesn't often get that cold here in Houston, I sweat prolifically and even worse if bundled up. When the weather outside is less than 58, I'll opt for the treadmill at either of my gyms.

14. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Wow, I have never had a problem with my penis getting cold even when I lived in colder climates. My cock is damn big when it is hard but when it gets really cold it really shrinks up. Maybe that is one of the advantages of having a "grower" instead of a "shower". LOL

15. craf

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    yeah...I'm in FL right now so the 'cold weather running' i'm comlaining about is like 58ºF, so I'm sure it sounds pretty pathetic. that being said....( ;) ), my head was freezing and numb after my run today. so i really am considering some insulated tights.

16. P0KEY

P0KEY New Member

Albums:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, lol..I do hate the weather here, but I hate tredmills even more..lol..I'll try a light jog in the afternoon, and I'll see where it goes from there..also I run at the main park close to my house, and Im gonna check out the other runners and see wht they have going on.

17. musclebare9

Gold Member

I actually prefer cold weather running but by cold I mean down to about 32. I stick with wearing shorts down to freezing and then switch over to sweatpants after that. There used to be a freakin idiot that ran in my area when it was in the teens and he was just wearing shorts with no shirt or gloves. He must have been drinking antifreeze. I've never had the cold dick problem. I think the heat is worse, anything above 75 kills me.

18. The Great Gonzo

The Great Gonzo New Member

Winter running can be tons of fun, here are a few tips...

• Avoid cotton. When cotton gets wet it is very bad.
    • Wear a hat.
    • Neck gaiters are very useful.
    • During the day glare is high, wear sunglasses.
    • Windbriefs are your friend. Barring that, wear an extra sock in front to block the wind. On windy days there are some things you don't want to freeze.
    • Stay visible. You'll probably be running at night or in low visibility because of snow. Car windows get frosted as well and drivers need all the help they can get.
    • Wear layers: Base layer to keep dry, thermal layer to keep warm, windproof layer to conserve heat.

Where I am the weather gets down to at least -30C (-22F) on cold days and when it does I'll wear: Tuque, balaclava, sunglasses (by day), reflective vest (and light by night), light windproof jacket, Asics Thermopolis 1/2 zip, Lifa underwear, XC ski gloves (or mittens if it's really windy), Thermal tights with windproof front panels, Brooks Runderwear, Wool Injinjis, Trail gaiters, Running shoes (in the case of ice either screw shoes or ice cleats are in order).

19. B_bigbanana

B_bigbanana New Member

A 'beanie' that covers your ears; t-shirt or undershirt;a hoodie sweatshirt; underwear is your preference;running pants (no shorts because of cold); two pair of socks or wool socks;well insulated running shoes; and, of course, some good tunes to run to. Simple as that.

20. shr1125

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Good tips, these.

Generally, I'll wear shorts and a long sleeve technical top to temperatures down to 35-40F, depending on wind speed. Additionally, I'll take along light gloves and a hat. In temps around 20-35F, I'll wear running pants (SportHill brand) and a long sleeve technical top (along with gloves/hat). At 5-20F, I'll add Patagonia's Capilene level 2 as a base layer for top and bottom.

Depending on temperature (generally < 20F) and windspeed, I'll also wear a light jacket with pitzips to block the wind. I've found windbriefs to not be necessary unless the wind is REALLY howling and it's VERY cold outside.

If the road conditions are snow/ice, I'll put YakTrax on the shoes to help with traction.

Have fun and stay warm -

SHR

Draft saved Draft deleted