Colin Powell has another "SLAM DUNK"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stratedude, Oct 19, 2008.

1. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow. Just...wow.

Colin Powell just endorsed Barack Obama, and when asked why he TWICE accused the McCain Campaign of saying Barack is a Muslim.

First it was a slam dunk that Iraq had WMD...

Now it is this BS.

This guy is a complete idiot.

And I won't even go into the falacy of his arguement that we should raise taxes to reduce the deficit and that taxes are and always have been a redistribution of "wealth".

Again...what an idiot.

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    so are you saying that no one from the McCain Campaign has either directly or inferred that Obama is a muslim???? You haven't been paying attention. But my favorite part was his next line saying, "and what would be wrong if he were a muslim", and related the story of a young Muslim, born in the USA, who died fighting for our country in Iraq.

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny how a man like Colin Powell can go from respected public servant to 'complete idiot' in the eyes of right wingers the minute he doesn't agree with them. LOL

Indy- I too have wondering for some time what your religion has to do with your patriotism.

4. exwhyzee

Gold Member

It must be bad when Republicans start calling each other idiots. So much for party unity.

5. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    well then how do you folk feel about mr lieberman?

6. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess Muslim's are the new Catholics politically.

7. sargon20

Gold Member

Actually it was George Tenet who used the phrase 'slam dunk' not Mr. Powell.

Tenet told Bush WMD case a 'slam dunk'

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's all fine and dandy when a Republican plays ball with the team. But when anyone of their own starts to think for themselves they want to excommunicate them. I'm not the biggest fan of Colin Powell by any means, even though he now endorses Obama. But it's too funny how some are turning his back on him for speaking his mind.

What's even funnier is how Republicans forget that their party did the same thing to McCain just 8 years ago when he debated Bush for the Republican nomination. Yet, that's the person they want to support for president now?

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    First of all he is no longer a democrat. He is officially an Independent. Personally, don't care for him much........and his political career in Connecticut is toast when his term as Senator ends. Polling in CT shows that there is great Buyer's remorse for having elected him over the Democrat, Ned Lamont.
    On a political level, he is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to Hawkish for my taste.

10. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Powell said Obama has a "steady hand". The former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of staff and Secretary of State believes that Obama is ready and qualified to be President. He said McCain "didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems we have" and "I must say, he seemed a little unsure about how to approach the problem."

He also commented on Sarah Palin saying, "I don't believe she's ready to be President of the United States, which is the job of Vice President," adding that it raised "some questions in my mind" about McCain's judgment.

This solid gold for Barack Obama.

11. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Tghe broader point Powell was making was...so what if he is a muslim. US leadership is not reserved for Christians.

I think Powell gave a logical and articulate list of reasons why he was voting for Obama. It was a powerfull endorsement.

12. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know right? If you are not with them, you might as well be dead in their eyes.

13. cruztbone

Gold Member

thank you Colin Powell , for finally putting the face of racism and religious bigotry on the face of the campaign the way no one else could. Go see the Oliver Stone movie "W" if you dont believe me. watch Colin Powell gamely try to give W and his advisers some moral crediblity. truly sickening. McShame is more of the same.
    GO OBAMA!

14. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

Now it is this BS.
    This guy is a complete idiot.
    Again...what an idiot

your words coming back at you.

#14 D_Rod Staffinbone, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  15. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    The clip is on line here. If you watch it, you will see that what happens is that Brokaw asks Powell if he is going to vote for Obama, and Powell replies by speaking for several minutes about the decision that he has reached and the reasons for it. In the course of his speech, he says this (my transcription):
    I am also troubled, not by what Senator McCain says, but by what members of the party say, and it is permitted to be said — such things as, "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well the correct answer, he is not a Muslim; he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is "What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country?" The answer is no, that's not America.
    Your version of events (in which Powell attributes the accusations to the McCain campaign itself, and in which he does so in reply to a question about why he is endorsing Obama) is as false as your attribution of the "slam dunk" remark to Powell. That remark was made, according to Bob Woodward's account of events, by CIA Director George Tenet. Powell went along with the Bush administration's story about WMD in Iraq reluctantly: that he went along with it at all is culpable, but he was not one of the leading proponents of it.

16. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Powell endorses Obama as 'transformational' - Mike Allen and Jonathan Martin - Politico.com

Powell, who last year gave the Arizona senator's campaign the maximum $2,300, replied: "If I had only had that in mind, I could have done this six, eight, 10 months ago. I really have been going back and forth between somebody I have the highest respect and regard for, John McCain and somebody I was getting to know, Barack Obama. And it was only in the last couple of months that I settled on this."

As a key reason, Powell said: "I would have difficult with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

Powell said that he is "troubled" by the direction of the Republican Party, and said he began to doubt Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) when he chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

"It doesnÂ’t come as a surprise," McCain said. "I'm very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state, well over 200 retired generals and admirals. I've admired and continue to respect Secretary Powell."

17. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    :biggrin1: You beat me to it.

Doesn't the Supreme Dogma of Political Correctness preach that all religions were created equal?

Incidentally, were was the general when we invaded Iraq on shaky grounds?

18. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

how many MORE around the world, including Muslims living within the USA, CELEBRATED the 09/11 attacks?

but that is inapposite to the main thrust of the OP

this man stood before the American people and urged the invasion of Iraq, on grounds he probably knew were false

I'm to consider what he says now, because ... ?

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    And he stood before the whole world and said the same thing.

Powell willingly shilled for the incompetent GWB administration when it suited his purposes. I remember seeing clips of his presentation before the UN. Powell himself didn't look completely confident of the case he was trying make about the imminent threat of Saddam's mysterious missing WMDs.

But his ambition seems to have gotten the better of his judgement. Powell should have had the stones to resign like the British foreign secretary did.

20. lucky8

Gold Member

So did John McCain. Welcome to reality, my friend

Draft saved Draft deleted