Colin Powell is a Republican

D_Rod Staffinbone

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
again i don't understand how going to the UN with bad intelligence improved his status, or was a display of ambition, and if you argue he knew, then he was certainly not doing it for ambition or status because it's still a huge cancer on his resume.

at the time of his UN speech he might have honestly believed that if we could get unanimous support from the international community, that war could be avoided. Even congress didn't think that we were going to war just because they gave bush the legal freedom to do so. it was about deterrence. i believe powell was acting in what he believed would be best for the country.

the real crime is that bush/cheney had already decided they were going to war and they were just arranging the deck chairs after the decision had been made, the same way they tried to rewrite the constitution AFTER they had already begun torture to try and make it legal. nothing but common criminals trying to cover their asses.

i think you're on the mark. i believe, however, that many in congress
on BOTH sides of the aisle were there rearranging the deck chairs as well.
powell, though he might have been skeptical of the intelligence, was being the "good soldier" and taking his orders from the commander in chief.

from l.a. confidential, not the exact scene i was looking for, but it'll do-
YouTube - L.A. Confidential - Bad cop, nice cop
(i'm not usually one to mix fantasy and reality, though in regards to the runup to the war in iraq, and powell's speech at the united nations...)

Last edited: