College Conspiracy? Hyperinflation? Economic Recession?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Smaccoms, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    I found this movie on youtube, from the National Inflation Association. It's just over an hour long. What do yall think?

College Conspiracy - YouTube

2. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    I didnt saw the hole movie yet but the first 15min. I have to see the hole movie later...

In basic i would say that critic at the american edjucation system, when its about the job, is right... But in this case they used some numbers that sound dramatical but arent or doesnt have realy mutch to do with a college conspirancy... And 840 billion are a huge bubble? Lol the sub
    Prime bubble in 1990 in japan was about 2 trillian dollar and the american bubble in 2008 was even larger then the japaneas one...

Also the statement that its dangeros to reache for higher edjucation is rubbish... In generall its the best way to go threw a crisis by higher edjucation. The only problem is that a high edjucation wount help you in a big recession...
    Dont know what the movie will show else but in generall its true that the massive QE and nearly 0% intrest politic by the fed can lead to high and uncontrollable inflation...
    Also is the economical theory that there are cycles that repeat in 12years 25years and 80years... If this is true (what it looks like) there will be a big recession in the nearest future and we cant do anything against it.

3. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'n beginning to believe higher education can be used to achieve very specific goals. Otherwise, degrees aren't as useful as one is intended to believe.

4. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    to explain a bit the type of the three cycle by the last 120 years...

The theory is that every growth is based on a main technology. Like machines that get energy out of oil... Based on this the car. Now 125 years old. But also other similar machines based on quite simple mechanik moves... This technology started in the middle of the former main technology, steam machine...
    The end of the glory railway as at least at 1930... This point was the start of the big rezession and in the 30s it set millions of employees free. The upcoming "oil motor" technology could use these free and cheap workers to grow.
    Why was it the end of the railway as the leader. Cause all importent areas had allready enough railway... So to grow by every new railway the efiziens is shrinking. And on the other hand the new technology offered individual mobility and started with this hole new trends...
    And these other new trends are the 25year cycles like to build urban cities in the 50s and 60s... Within this there are the 12year cycles like building drivethru fastfood or pit stops or highways...

Now we see the end of this major trend, like in past the steammachine. An other trend is allready rising, like our trend now...

What we are see now, these bursting bubbles ever faster and ever bigger are parte of this prozes. Like in the 20's we see how a few become very ritch and the most more poor... After this decad of disharmony follows 10 years of high unemployment rates

Why it comes to a crash to reasons... the struktures that become bigger in form of a hole industry like automobile industry or in form of big companies like GM. The companies own a value of know how what they can use for free. To search for complite new technologies would be very expensiv and would distroy the value of the old know how... So they dont reakt fast enough.

The other reason that it comes to a crash insted of a soft landing is that depending on the country spezific "free market system", doring the time some become ritch and more and more poor...

This disbalance leads to less grow and rising debts...

What we can do now is to prepare and start in the nearer future work programms to rebuild the country also expanding effort in the sience of new technologies...

And then create a tax and low system that works against to big companies and again a to big disbalance of poor/ritch

#4 Perados, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your syntax and semantics are hard to understand at places, but I think I got the gist. It's a very interesting concept. I have heard rumors of a hover car which could follow magnetic highways buried in the ground. That would allow for auto-pilot, right? I suppose the new technology could be in one of several areas: transportation, communication, or manufacturing. So far the government has been attempting to delay the crash from what I'v heard. That's what the bail outs were for, right? Raising the dept ceiling? Do you really think the US dollar will go through such hyperinflation it'd become useless?

6. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    the next technology will change our hole live like the oil motor does.
    And we use parts of the new technology already. so it could be propably the computer (including internet. roboter produktionlines. Smart phones...) or biology (gene. nano technology...) just like the first car was build in the primetime of the steam machine. Is the new technology already existing. It needed around 40 for the car to start a global 80year growth trend... So if we think the next 80year cycle starts in 2020 and then around 40 years back we are in 1980... Around the start of the personal computer and a bit earlier the gene. One or bouth of this could create the next major trend.

The only way to keep the employment rate high are huge supports by the state. The problem are the rising debts. The gov cant pay the support with higher debts for everyone or it wouldnt help... So they have to make more debts and more money in the system. That means inflation... Later hyperinflation. That will in combination with a reformation of the currency fight the then huge state debts.

If you want you can see it as a reboot of the system. After this crisis the hole system starts new...

But there are a still a few years left bevor this reboot with hyperinflation could happen...

#6 Perados, Nov 17, 2011
  7. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    So the next presidency? Are you telling me anything I do to ensure my financial survival in the current economy is a complete waste of my time?

8. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    no not a waste of time... But it will be hard to keep the value...
    At the end state will - to fight the inflation - collect and buy gold for half of the value by a trick. High tax on land and buildings high tax for intrest income and on an on...

If you will invest right you wount make a win in the next 15years... But maybe you just lose 20% of the value

If you own something that is part of the state like us bonds or retiremant insurance or a company that could get owned by the state like gm in the past... Yes then are these values equal sero in a few years...

#8 Perados, Nov 17, 2011
  9. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    How do you know any of this anyway? Who are you in terms of this discussion?

10. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    i studyd economy with major in macroeconomy based on industrieleconomy(a part of the empiric way)

What discussion?

But again thats all just a theory... No one knows what realy will happen

#10 Perados, Nov 17, 2011
  11. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Wasn't there some guy that spend multiple thousands of dollars on a graduate degree in Puppetry and he ended up going back to his old high school as a temp?

Choose what you study carefully.

12. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Personally, I find this subject fascinating despite the fact I really know nothing about it. I get the feeling it's going to be the new obsessive topic in the general public. I can understand why.

13. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    They are extremely useful to the schools who sell them at any price they want...:spankme:

14. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Could you give me a live example? Pick me up at 8? :cool:

15. Perados

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess cause it affects everyone and all is just a theory their is not allways a yes/no right/wrong answer... Great for discussions and fundamentalism

16. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched the entire thing, and it's an occasionally fascinating glimpse at propaganda in action. Much of its premise has its feet in reality, mainly regarding the coming student loan bubble bust. I've read about that from several different sources that have, in the past, proved prescient about upcoming difficulties. I also believe that there's a racket in getting kids into college when trade schools and other technical programs would probably be a better fit for them.

However, in that hour, the dialog goes into some rather contorted directions, concerned mainly with a Paulite Libertarian tone that occasionally goes straight to Objectivism. There's an incredible amount of anti-Federal Reserve verbiage, complete with calling the US dollar a "fiat currency", as if we as a nation have no inherent wealth at our reserves. That smelled pretty stinky, really.

There's also a heavy-handed anecdotal quality. If I'd heard "one NIA member" one more time, I'd have found it difficult to keep watching, especially when the following words were so provocative yet had absolutely nothing to back them up in terms of actual, concrete, verifiable sourcing. I'm fond of saying that the plural of anecdote is not data, and about half-way through found myself muttering it aloud. The entire vid was loaded with factoids that are impossible to confirm, so the producer doesn't even attempt to try.

I'm half-tempted to visit the NIA website just to read their articles and verify their sources. But something tells me that there are too many blind alleys over there to make such an attempt feasible or productive. The whole point of the vid seems to be exploiting medium- and low-info voters' fears.

I also heard the near-constant dog whistle of anti-intellectualism, occasionally made quite explicit. The irony of the overall tone of mockery both of dumbed-down curricula (and grade inflation) with a sneering dismissal of intellectual pursuits generally did not go unnoticed. And the more strident such an attitude was presented, the more the irony made itself apparent.

I really should have known better than to expect a level-headed discussion of problems in a vid with conspiracy in its title. The entire last four minutes, which purported to be a summation, ended up being an infomercial on buying silver and gold: that's never a good sign. It does, however, reveal a Glenn-Beckian paranoia.

17. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Several of the things you mention are things which I can agree with, but I didn't readily pick up on myself as well as you have. I noticed enough to not completely believe everything they said. The anecdotal quality probably helped the most for me the most to come to that conclusion.
    There certainly are problems with the US dollar though, don't you think? Inflation is a problem right now because of the massive bail outs we had. DO you really thing such bail outs could avoid a second depression fro occurring? I had to agree with them when they said in the movie the US economy has made minimal improvements since the end of the recession was officially declared.
    If they want to alter voters; fears, then they want to affect voters information to a specific end right? Do all they really want is for us to buy silver and gold? How does that affect them?
    Anti-intellectualism? Bizarre phrase. One concept they presented which seemed reasonable enough to me [so far] is to transform college into a free market system; remove government from the equation. I'm not missing something there am I?

18. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Level-headed discussion of problems...sounds very entertaining

19. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah: everyone knows someone who has a friend who has had a problem. It's perhaps interesting (though, in fact, it is only rarely), but informative? Color me skeptical until I can assess both the info and where it came from. I've been on too many weird back roads, both in print and online, to confuse anecdote with empirical data.

I've never tried to cover my complete ignorance on economic issues. I'm baffled that what's good for "the economy" is frequently at odds with people being able to realize their dreams, or at least so it appears. But when a documentary actually claims that the US government is a giant Ponzi Scheme, it loses me very quickly.

I was highly ambivalent regarding the bail-outs, and am terrified that some businesses are too big to fail, especially banks and financial institutions. OTOH, the automotive bail-outs had me both nodding and holding my nose. We indeed saved hundreds of thousands of jobs directly, and millions indirectly, when we propped up the car companies. My disdain for the bleak, shitty product fed to us by Detroit beginning in the mid-70s has only increased with time. And I'm a strong supporter of public over private transit, but when I really get into it I just come off as a crank (even to me).

The auto bail-outs, unlike the financial bail-outs, are being/have been returned at a profit. In my mind they were a classic example of both good and terrible governmental intervention.

Undoubtedly they have some skin in the game.

The sneering tone regarding the value of academic pursuits as purely an exercise in expanding one's ability to think well is a hoary old conservative chestnut. It extends much further back than my lifetime ("pointy-headed intellectual" ring any bells?). My John Birch Society reactionary parents walked that weird razor edge with me when I was growing up, and it worked something like this:

1) You're a very smart guy;
    2) That provides you with social advantages;
    3) But you must never acknowledge it, discuss it or take pride in it;
    4) But you must keep up an A/B average;
    5) But you mustn't let study "interfere" with sports or a social life;
    6) But you must never appear "bookish";
    7) But you must read to keep up your grades;
    8) Just never appear to enjoy it, and don't let us see it, ever.

One of the most effective ways I was punished as a teen was when I was forbidden to read anything that wasn't directly school related; I was required to sit and watch TV, so my mother could keep an eye on me :rolleyes: This anti-intellectualism extended to completely disrespecting most of my teachers, several of whom they considered communist!

I also had to chuckle at the folks in their 50s saying how easy it was "back then" to attend college on their own dime. I was there; I graduated high school in 1978. I worked anywhere from 60-80 (sometimes more) hours per week just to pay my rent and keep some food in my belly. The piddling amounts I paid on maintaining my social life would never have paid for books, let alone tuition, and college loans simply weren't there (mortgages were 18% if memory serves). And my parents, both of whom had raised me from birth to believe that I'd attend college, each imploded into their compulsions and addictions at the exact moment. I was on my own the day after my last day of high school; my sister didn't even get that.

20. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    This must have been frustrating. Did you try to enoy yourself anyways? Form the descriptions I have heard from you elsewhere, it sounds as if you did.
    I must add, this counts as anecdotal evidence. I still do not know how easily accessible college was dring the 70's and 80's.

Draft saved Draft deleted