College courses in German.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by grandunification, Aug 24, 2009.

1. grandunification

Verified Gold Member

I just went to my first class in German today. This will be my first time taking a foreign language. I have to take 3 semesters of it before I graduate. I'm scared shitless after the first day of class. Any comments about how hard this is going to be will be appreciated.

2. midlifebear

Gold Member

One word: declensions!

3. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Just learn the cuss words.

4. TinyPrincess

Gold Member

Well, it is going to be "geil" ;)

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My advice, is to buy some german magazines, or newspapers and some german music, rent some german movies etc... Start writing your shopping lists and to-do lists in german. The more you immerse yourself in a language the easier it will be for you.

6. cockhoarder

Verified Gold Member

watch german tv online or listen to german radio online, it will help you with the pronounciation and help with vocabulary. I speak 5 languages fluently and found this helped alot.
    www.wwitv.com

7. mj7717

mj7717 New Member

8. D_Ormstrom Oxtongue

D_Ormstrom Oxtongue Account Disabled

Verified:
    Photo
    I did a double major (where German was one of them) and I've found that it helps having someone you can ask questions outside of class. If you have any friends/family that know German, it would be great letting them know you're taking classes and it'd be great to ask them questions.

Also really useful is a 501 German Verbs book. Amazon.com: 501 German Verbs (9780764102844): Henry Strutz: Books They take the 501 most common irregular verbs and conjugate them in every verb tense. It comes in handy when writing papers/projects or even for making flashcards.

And try not to be too overwhelmed! I remember walking into my first German class and not understanding a word, but after time, things will fall into place and start making sense.

9. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Watching tv in German does help indeed. It's the same with my English, it became a lot better after I started watching BBC.

Just maintain it and practice it at least once a week. Repeating means learning.

At first it seems difficult, but once you get the hang of it (careful for the grammar: Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ und Genetiv) it'll make a lot more sense.

I suggest learning the most important grammar first (N, A, D and G) and the Modalverben. After that...it's a lot easier.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice