college education and enjoying life

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by grandunification, Jan 15, 2008.

1. grandunification

grandunification Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I have been worrying lately about whether or not I'm going to be able to make it through college. Do you think that a person has to make it through in order to enjoy life or do you think that someone can find a way to be happy without graduating? I just feel like it will be a big void in my life if I can't finish. I'll never feel complete. I wish there was some way that I could change my frame of mind.

2. snoozan

Gold Member

if you're not into it now, you can always go back when you're older. what would you rather be doing with your life right now?

3. lucky8

Gold Member

what year r u? i was feeling the same exact way a year ago. i was 100% sure that if i didnt make it into business school last semester that i was going to drop out...just hang in there mang, its definately going to be worth it in the long run. instead of waiting tables or working on cars for the rest of our lives, we'll be able to work in air conditioning and go on nice vacations with our hot wives. granted, my best friends parents didnt go to college, her dad didnt even graduate high school, and they live in a million dollar house and have their own plane...so it is possible to be succesful without a college degree, but its going to be really hard to get started. if you think youre going to have a void in your life if you drop out, then u most likely will. it sucks. trust me, i know, i feel school these days is so pointless, but that little piece of paper saying that you know how to learn is worth so much, its an automatic ticket into the middle class. the only thing ive learned about school is to just go to class and do my shit, no questions asked. and not to worry about my situation because worrying never accomplishes anything. whether or not youll be happy with dropping out or not is all up to you and how you want to live your life, but just graduate. youve already started, might as well tough it out and finish...just picture yourself a couple years from now, making real money and being able to live your life the way you want to, never having to wonder "what if?" your older self will thank you. just think of it like this, youre going to be alive for another 50-60 years, why not sacrifice 4 years now in order to make the next 56 as easy as you can?

peace out

o and do u go to OU? if so, we just beat you in basketball tonight lol

4. JustAsking

Gold Member

Sometimes it is a mistake to go right to college after high school with no break. Often we are not mature enough, nor do we have any idea what we want to study in college. So to avoid all the strange looks from our relatives, we just pick a major that sounds good and see what happens. Then if we are not passionate about that major we just go through the motions or we drop out.

Both me and my wife took a couple of years off while we were in college. We went back with a different perspective and did very well.

Another thing you might do is look around for a different field of study. College students change their major on the average 2.5 times before they graduate.

On the other hand, I think you can have a happy life without a college degree, but you usually have to be very creative about career choices. If you polled 50 people over 40 years old, I bet you would find that 45 of them are not working in the field that they studied in college. However, you will also find that their employers required a college degree for most of the high paying jobs.

Unless you are very creative and great at self-promotion, your ability to get a good paying job is limited when you don't have a degree.

5. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    My inclination is to push through rough times and finish the degree.

I always felt like I built up a kind of educational "momentum" in college the longer I was in school and the more academic experience I gained. Once achieved, that "momentum" could be used to propel me through difficult, dreary semesters but it would also be hard (if not impossible) to recapture should I ever quit school. For me it would have been more difficult to quit college and then try to come back to finish later.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

6. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Consider doing a study abroad program.

I couldn't do one through my university in the States, so I went to one separately during our summer break of my second year.

Best decision of my life so far.

7. Northland

Gold Member

I went through college, often wondering why I was there. In retrospect, I am glad that I stuck with it. In my case, the possibility of ever returning was slim to none- I'm far too lazy to be bothered with structured study any more. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy learning new information and things; I don't however enjoy being forced to learn in preparedness for some test to find out if I have indeed learned anything and then being graded positively or negatively on that learning level. (Can everybody guess who barely made it out of college with a 3.2 GPA because of this snarling attitude?)

There are those who never set foot in a college, university or other institution of allegedly higher education and are quite happy and successful in life. Equally true, is that, there are those who receive their sheepskin and then plod through life dejectedly or worse. Follow your your heart and true self- that is all you can ever do; if you wish to obtain real happieness.

8. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

You're worried about whether or not you'll make it? Why?

9. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

Exactly my opinion. I would go even further and say it is a mistake to go straight from school to college. My opinion is that there should be something between these phases, I don't think I can give it a name, but if you put me on the spot, the terms "character moulding" and "self-discovery" pop into my head.

Let's face it, the time between high school and college is probably the only time a usual person has to get the monkeyshine flying, or do things that have no explicit sense for your professional life. What you do there, I can't tell you, I have the most different direct and indirect experience of this. Take me, for example. I went from high school to military and ERAU with a minimum of time in between. When I retired in 2004, I took several months of living for the moment and travelling because I didn't know what to do then, read about it here. After that time, I knew that I still had more to give than I had thought immediately after my retirement, and returned into the real world.

From this, and conversations with other men and women with basically the same problem, I could conclude the following. High school, and college, are not the real world, but rather secluded in the ways of sanctioning your actions, value systems and consequences of your actions. Between them, you should get in touch with the real world outside them. Get yourself a job you could find interest in, travel around and learn how the world outside school works. Join the military if you think you can do, even though that is yet another subject worth an own thread. But whatever you do, bottom line you should do it consciously and learn your life lessons. If you think you have, and know what you want, you're in my eyes ready to go to college. But as soon as you're there, you should be clear about your objectives and keep pushing. Next stop is graduation.

10. chammer44

chammer44 Member

Pick an easy major.

11. Notthe7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think about what I would be doing if I wasn't working my ass off and killing myself with school....
    absolutely nothing?

Seriously what ELSE are you going to do?
    Nothing.
    Sit around waste away.

It's one of the only options that actually gives you a chance to change the word and prove to yourself that you can grit your teeth and get through the worse to get to what you want.

Don't put it off.
    I'm sure there is some statistic that says you won't go back if you do.

12. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I think many people now go to university/college for the wrong reasons, they don't go because they have a specific job in mind for which they need a certain qualification, or because they want to know about a certain subject, they go to college just because everyone else does and to delay having to join the 'real grown up world'.

13. earllogjam

Gold Member

A college diploma gives you more options in life, more doors open for you with that piece of paper. It does not determine if your life will be happy or successful. That's up to you.

I had that same feeling you did at one point as an undergrad so I took a leave of absence from college between my Sophmore and Junior year and traveled around the world with some student loan money and my life savings at 19. I don't regret it now but at the time I thought it was rather indulgent and irresponsible. I kept a journal, sketched and documented many things and it was a year of learning to be independent, resourceful and indulging in my interests.

It actually was a good thing gaining a better perspective on myself and the world and it actually helped me land a job straight out of college. I even changed my major because of the experience.

I'd say take a break if you feel burnt out and pursue your real interests because you can return to college but make sure you don't take any longer than a year or two off or else it is unlikely that you will go back. You will definitely see things in a new perspective, you might even change colleges or course of study. Just make sure your time away from school is productive - do NOT waste it watching TV and sitting on the couch.

14. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    And to get a "piece of paper" as opposed to because they want to actually learn something in particular.

15. SlimGuySB

SlimGuySB New Member

Albums:
    Damn straight. That is my advice to every student I talk to. Take a month, a semester, a year. It will broaden your horizons and mature you in ways you can't imagine.

Draft saved Draft deleted