College Kid Commits Suicide Live on the Web

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well I just see a young man who for whatever reason was misguided in his thoughts and actions, It could be anyone of our friends, sons or brothers whose life sadly ended.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
sad...no different than any other suicide, but when it is there for all of us to see...to put a face to the story, a personality to the name, makes the impact that much more real.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
True, I'm not comfortable blaming his family. What were they supposed to do watch him 24/7?
Hello...they were living under the same roof when it happened. If someone were living with me taking any kind of medication; I would feel responsible for looking after their safety and well being. So it's easier for the family to blame countless strangers who had no idea of where he lived and what his circumstances were.
My bad, I thought he was in a dorm on campus. Yes, it should have been easier to monitor him. But people do work . . .

He did it in mid-day... his PARENTS were probably WORKING for a living.
That he did it online is no different than folks who climb out on a ledge or bridge... and wait for the news cameras to arrive to jump... they want their passing witnessed... they want someone to care about their dying.
Correct, because no one cared about his life.

Further... He was 19- hardly a 'kid'- he was old enough to vote, old enough to have a job, old enough to be humping a pack in Iraq.

He may well have been mentally ill... or he may simply have been a member of the too stupid to live club... that group of teens and young adults who are born in the lap of middle class luxury, have never known a day of true want or loss in their short lives, and who listen to death metal and fantasize about how cool death is....
Too stupid to live?! :eek: Have you no heart? It's not like he tied a stick of dynamite to his dick in hopes he would become a self-propelled rocket ship. :mad:

Sorry.... I have too much compassion for real suffering to worry much about somone who finds life so intolerable that they want off. Seriously... what is the great loss here? If the kid was that damn miserable... why should he have to suffer another day? Why is HIS choice over HIS life not worthy of our respect? In my book, if you want to kill yourself... you should just go ahead and do it.
How dare you be so cruel and callous! Clearly you have never lost a loved one to depression.

Or, if you have doubts, seek help.
That is one of many problems with this country, the Mental health care system hasn't been up dated since Truman was President. The young man in question had apparently sought help, hence the diagnosis of being bipolar.

We are not running out of people....If you don't want the job of middle class white American, I am sure we can find someone else eager for the opportunity.
He was black, does that make a difference in your twisted little stupid mind?

D

deleted136887

Hey guys,
it's sad and it's tragic.
In the the days before the WWW, there was allways some-one who topped themselves. So now we got the net, we are responsible? horseshit. Curt Cobain did the thing, he'some kind of a cult hero.....
I't's going to happen, statitics, WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE!!!
blame it on BP..... it will happen

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
What a very sad incident indeed.

This is why I try to reach out and be as understanding to whom ever I can. It does not hurt to say hello...just the thought of being seen and heard can make a person feel a little useful. Nothing is gained by having a bad attitude on the internet or in life. Because I am smiling does not mean I don't have problems. Everyone else does to. To reach out to others helps me inside as well.

It never ceases to amaze me the first people folks want to blame are the parents. I have seen places on this site where people say "tell you parents to fuck" off because they tend to care. Then turn around and say "why did not the parents catch this?" Society is odd like this.

To those who cheered him on- our society has become cynical. Cynicism is awarded too much, until something like this happens then it is "human kind sucks". Where is the logic?

I suffer from depression, and tried to take my life when I was younger. It was not because of t.v., movies, unloving parents, it was just me. I could try to blame someone or something for it- but ultimately it was my choice, no one else. I was fortunate to be able to live to tell. I am glad I was not successful. Depression is a hard thing to describe, and it does not have to be situational; it is also chemical imbalance of the body.

Each one needs to reach one.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is why I try to reach out and be as understanding to whom ever I can. It does not hurt to say hello...just the thought of being seen and heard can make a person feel a little useful. Nothing is gained by having a bad attitude on the internet or in life. Because I am smiling does not mean I don't have problems. Everyone else does to. To reach out to others helps me inside as well.

It never ceases to amaze me the first people folks want to blame are the parents. I have seen places on this site where people say "tell you parents to fuck" off because they tend to care. Then turn around and say "why did not the parents catch this?" Society is odd like this.

To those who cheered him on- our society has become cynical. Cynicism is awarded too much, until something like this happens then it is "human kind sucks". Where is the logic?

I suffer from depression, and tried to take my life when I was younger. It was not because of t.v., movies, unloving parents, it was just me. I could try to blame someone or something for it- but ultimately it was my choice, no one else. I was fortunate to be able to live to tell. I am glad I was not successful. Depression is a hard thing to describe, and it does not have to be situational; it is also chemical imbalance of the body.

QFT! Your post was well stated, clear, and compassionate.

D

deleted136887

Cinnamon,
I emphasize. Fact is, it has happened, it will happen again. A certian % of teenagers WILL commit suicide, much as we all regret it. 100 years ago, 100 years from now, I think it will be the same. Life. Death.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

True, I'm not comfortable blaming his family. What were they supposed to do watch him 24/7?

True, I watch those shows too, but the difference between that and a video game is that with the games the lives are regenerated. The dead don't come back to life on CSI.

[/B]I agree it's one last chance to see if they can get some attention. It's not narcissistic just desperate and lonely. :frown1:

Cinnamon,
I emphasize. Fact is, it has happened, it will happen again. A certian % of teenagers WILL commit suicide, much as we all regret it. 100 years ago, 100 years from now, I think it will be the same. Life. Death.
Sadly this is true and nothing will change for the families unless we make laws against regret!

D

deleted136887

Sadly this is true and nothing will change for the families unless we make laws against regret!

Eh!!!
We got the style police, the thought police, and now the ministry of regret. Next door to the miistry of the small cock dept(of topic)
cheers, that cheap whiskey will do that.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How many bi-polar people are on the Internet for hours and don't commit suicide? It may actually help them. So we can't blame the Internet.

There are plenty of members on LPSG that I worry about their life and health because of their substance abuse. I'm not sure how I can stop them from potentially hurting themselves. If I try to tell them to stop their behaviors I am just told I'm judging them and I should not care so much. So there is really no way to take action until someone is about to do something dramatic like this kid in the story, but by then it's too late.

And there are probably many people with bipolar disorder than don't want to take their medications because of the side effects. (I'm no expert.)

I'm just saying there is only so much we can do to try to prevent tragedies like this. We all are trying to keep ourselves alive, so we can only spend so much time worring about other people.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is tragic and so so sad that a person has taken his life, no matter what the circumstances are. What has the world become when people find humour in such ways, what has happend to true values.

His parents are out there greaving over the tragic loss of their son and no doubt having those two words repeatedly going through their mind "What If" This in itself is more than any parent should have to face, but knowing he was encouraged and watched by many others, well all I can say words fail me. Try putting yourself in their position, take a long hard look at your own son or daughter, those whom you treasure and love dearly. Now, imagine it to have been them.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him, his family, those who witnessed this tragic event and to those who thought it hilarious to spur him on and encourage him to carry out this mortal act.

Yes we all like to have fun, but not in ways such as this

Smartalk

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The number of young men committing suicide is shocking. I think the media over the last 20 years has de-sensitised the younger generation to all kinds of things. The only thing that makes this different is that it was carried out in a public forum. The underlying problems are the same. Its never wise to start blaming others, especially when you know very little about the facts.

Lets just hope there are no copycat suicides in its wake.

D_Prudence_Admonition_Drightits

Experimental Member
Media
Cinnamon,

This is a true fact, but this is also a fact that trends can show a decrease.
I rather that than an increase in numbers, right?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
He was black, does that make a difference in your twisted little stupid mind?

Always with the insults... No it doesn't make a difference. The fact that I have more respect for his individual decision to end his own life does not make me twisted nor stupid.

Your position, does, however, show that you have no respect whatsoever for the suffering of others.
If life is nothing but pain... who are you to say others MUST suffer it?

Too stupid to live?! Have you no heart? It's not like he tied a stick of dynamite to his dick in hopes he would become a self-propelled rocket ship.
Yes I have a heart... a real heart that believes that people who want to live deserve to live... and people who want to die should be allowed to die...
and people PLAYING with suicide to manipulate others deserve precisely what they get.

How dare you be so cruel and callous! Clearly you have never lost a loved one to depression.

Clearly, you don't know enough about me be making such statements....
FY!
I have a bipolar Sister, Mother, and Aunt.... and a brother that had schizophrenia and problems with depression. My maternal Uncle blew his head off with a shotgun at age 24. My paternal uncle drowned at 7. My brother, who was in and out of institutions most of his adult life, was murdered at age 32.
Both my Mother and sister have been hospitalized for depression on numerous occasions. They have undergone every form of therapy from massive doses of psychoactive meds, to electro-convulsive.

I dare say I am far more experienced and knowledgeable about this area than most.

My family was severely affected by the dissolution of the mental health system in the early 70's making it impossible to institutionalize my brother.

What I have learned, the HARD WAY, is that for some people, living is fraught with suffering and pain so intense and so deep that NO avaialble therapy makes the slightest dent in it.

The 'recovery" rate for people suffering from depression who get the best modern medicine has to offer is IDENTICAL to the rate for those who recieve NO medical help at all.
( that means psychiatric intervention has ZERO measurable effect on depression )

IF it were your cat, your dog, or your horse suffering this kind of unrelenting pain, you would shoot the poor thing yourself.

Yet, we SELFISHLY demand that other human beings must endure this pain...

When MY brother was murdered... the hardest part for my parents was that they felt guilty about the fact that they, on one level, felt relieved... relieved that, at least, as they entered old age, they wouldn't have to worry about what would become of their son without them to care for him....

That is one of many problems with this country, the Mental health care system hasn't been up dated since Truman was President. The young man in question had apparently sought help, hence the diagnosis of being bipolar.
Oh- if ONLY we had the mental health care system of Truman's era. In Fact, after a series of widely publicized reports of Abuses of the mental health system.... a handful of cases of people being committed who should not have been... the entire system of Chronic care for the mentally ill was dismantled in the early 1970s.

Since then... getting someone committed to a mental hospital has become nearly impossible...and keeping them there is not longer even an option except for those with the money to afford private institutions.

It is NOT callous to shoot a horse suffering from an injury it can not survive.

It requires a certain resolve that other may see as callous... but it is , in fact, the greater kindness.
I applaud those who are willing to TAKE ON the horror of putting their own dog down, out of compassion....

...Those whose own inability to face the ugly reality of death leads them to force their pets to endure unimaginable misery... because they can't bear to be responsible ... are weak and self centered.

Sorry. You can Imagine me as uncaring... but to me you seem only caring about yourself.

If someone wants off this world... I assume they have valid reasons...let them off.

That is RESPECT for another person's ultimate responsibility for themselves.

If someone is PLAYING at suicide for manipulative reasons... then I refuse to pander to their manipulations... They can live, or die, by their own actions
...and either learn to knock that stupid shit off... or find out the hard way that I sure as hell don't care if they live any more than they do.

I would risk, and have risked, my own life and health to save the life of someone in peril and aching to live.

I would walk into the fire to save the life of a stranger's child.

I honor life.

If someone else doesn't care enough about their own life to even want it... then why should I care about their life?

Last edited:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Side note: Seriously, wtf has death metal got to do with this? You're kidding me right? I'll go sign myself up for suicide watch right away :rolleyes:

The musical tastes of teens who commit suicide and who commit mass shootings show a startling and telling consistency.

So much so that certain preferences in music are strong predictors of teens who have thoughts of suicide, or murder.

Parents who care about their children's mental health should pay attention to the nature of their children's musical interests... and get involved if they notice a sudden obsessive interest in songs with violent or depressing content centering around the theme of death or killing.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Interesting choice of drugs, the kid knew what he was doing. He had sever problems, I doubt anything could have been done by viewers though, the kid clearly made up his mind and wanted it to go down in history of some sort.

Hope the family is okay during this time.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Parents who care about their children's mental health should pay attention to the nature of their children's musical interests... and get involved if they notice a sudden obsessive interest in songs with violent or depressing content centering around the theme of death or killing.
I listen to techno and Marilyn Manson, and I've thought seriously about suicide... lol I think your words about music are far off. I'm a raver, not a death metal liker.