College Kid Commits Suicide Live on the Web

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I listen to techno and Marilyn Manson, and I've thought seriously about suicide... lol I think your words about music are far off. I'm a raver, not a death metal liker.

My words are off...?

Listening to Marilyn Manson is a predictor of people who have thoughts of suicide.
You just confirmed it.

Understand, no one is saying that listening to such music CAUSES thoughts of suicide... Rather the other way around... Teens who have thoughts of suicide are drawn to music and cinema and literature that reinforces and validates their mindset.

Teens are often uncommunicative with their parents about their internal state.

You look out for warning signs of troubled thoughts... the kind of music they listen to can be one of those signs.

Not always a perfect predictor... but pretty good.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's an absolute tragedy, both for the loss of this young person's life and the fact that there were people cheering him on to off himself. Let's just hope there's some karma to go around for those ignorant assholes.

According to the article in the NYPost tody people weren't actually cheering him on as much as doubting him as he's evidently threatened to do this before. Yes it's very sad that folks watched this but someone did reach a moderator on the site that called the police but it was too late when then got there.
Suicide is a weird issue. There are people that are deathly ill that might do it or mentally ill folks or depresse teens that might undertake this.

B_FruitFly

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Why is it ok for a man to take another mans life, but not for that man to take his own life?
Answer: Because we would rather execute him, suicide woulda' been to easy for him.

Lets just force them to live. The fact that people were entertained by it (which people do often, as well as some of us i'm sure.) is the only fucked up part. Maybe he was just confirming his conviction?

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media
My words are off...?

Listening to Marilyn Manson is a predictor of people who have thoughts of suicide.
You just confirmed it.

Understand, no one is saying that listening to such music CAUSES thoughts of suicide... Rather the other way around... Teens who have thoughts of suicide are drawn to music and cinema and literature that reinforces and validates their mindset.

Teens are often uncommunicative with their parents about their internal state.

You look out for warning signs of troubled thoughts... the kind of music they listen to can be one of those signs.

Not always a perfect predictor... but pretty good.

got to agree with you, perpetually happy people don't seem to find a Cannibal Corpse album cover hilarious, like I do. Is anti-social music, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

IronMonkey

Just Browsing
Media
That's pretty freaking appalling that people would egg him on to kill himself. There's a tendency to treat stuff you see on the internet with a grain of salt (like people with freakishly large dicks for example) but come on, this is someone's life we're talking about here.

We had a similar incident in seattle several years ago where a suicidal woman backed up traffic for several miles during rush hour while police tried to talk her down. Angry motorists yelled at her to hurry up and jump so they could get to work, and a local radio station played a comedy bit making fun of the jumper as it happened. She ended up jumping off the bridge and amazingly survived what had to have been a ten story fall into the water.

If people react this way when they see a jumper within shouting distance, then yeah, i expect people on the internet doing the same. Sad, but this is the kind of behavior i've come to expect. Looks like we've become pretty distant and self centered as a society, hopefully not as individuals.

Link to seattle incident:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/36928_jump29.shtml

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think the desensitization to death comes largely in part to the war yes.

Taken in context you said you blamed Americans and the war for this incident...I fell that the war may have a desensitization for those who are on the front lines and involved on a daily basis with death and dying; however I sincerely doubt that someone spending time in a Body Building web site would be experiencing those same feelings.

ElDorado77

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
people have been offing themselves ever since there have been people. it's not a new phenomenon. However, there are some things that may add to certain people's depression, but you can't say for sure. chances are, this kid would have done it some time or another, you can't blame the people on a forum. it's the number one place people like to make empty threats because they feel their anonymity is a safety net. perhaps you could blame forums in general, because some people are not able to balance a real life and an online life and forget about one or the other... sounds like he had no real life, which probably led to his demise.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Taken in context you said you blamed Americans and the war for this incident...I fell that the war may have a desensitization for those who are on the front lines and involved on a daily basis with death and dying; however I sincerely doubt that someone spending time in a Body Building web site would be experiencing those same feelings.
Oh no. Not the child personally, but I believe people who are directly and indirectly involved with loosing parents, relatives and friends are being negatively affected by the war.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh no. Not the child personally, but I believe people who are directly and indirectly involved with loosing parents, relatives and friends are being negatively affected by the war.

Well then maybe we are saying the same thing. If someone has lost parents, children siblings or friends in the war; are not being desensitized to death and dying they are likely having negative effects in their lives which is natural. But you started this by saying that the incident we are talking about in this thread was the fault of Americans and war. Now we are talking about something else entirely.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Well then maybe we are saying the same thing. If someone has lost parents, children siblings or friends in the war; are not being desensitized to death and dying they are likely having negative effects in their lives which is natural. But you started this by saying that the incident we are talking about in this thread was the fault of Americans and war. Now we are talking about something else entirely.
I quoted the person who said that video games was the cause. I don't believe that video games are totally to blame, so I counter posted.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I started listening to Marilyn Manson, Cradle of Filth, Slayer, Metallica, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry (to name a few) when I was 13, and I still listen to them today. I listened to them through the abuse, through the rape, they have been the one constant in my life.

No one ever worried about my mental health, and there was no need to. To assume that those who listen to such music, are in need of watching, about to off themselves, and such, it nothing short of idiotic.

What ever happened to listening to music because you like it?

Its amazing... people write things and don't even realize what they are writing.
You listened to them thru the ABUSE?
Thru the RAPE?

Gosh... whatever could someone paying attention to your musical interests have learned about what you were going thru that might have made a difference in your life ?
It's a real puzzler...

Children listening to pain filled music are often the very ones enduring painful experiences.

Again...good parenting pays attention to such things...

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That's pretty freaking appalling that people would egg him on to kill himself. ...
Sad, but this is the kind of behavior i've come to expect. Looks like we've become pretty distant and self centered as a society, hopefully not as individuals.http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/36928_jump29.shtml

On what basis do you think that his is something society has BECOME?

People have ALWAYS felt this way about those who threaten suicide.

Those who love and care about you... those who have some inkling of what you suffer and want to see you pull out of it.... those are the primary people you can count on to try and intervene...

Them and the police...
And a handful of people who feign concern... the kind who SAY somebody do something... but who, themselves, do nothing.

But we are evolved animals in a social world where people are competing with each other for resources, survival and position.

If other people are more than willing to take advantage of you in a business deal... take your job from you, or steal your spouse, or cut you off in traffic to get one car length ahead...
Why would you be surprised if they don't want THEIR commute screwed up by someone's overly melodramtic Lookitme pity fest?

Seriously... I care desperately about those who WANT life. A child in a well, people stranded in a river.... a car on fire.... put people in UNINTENDED peril and you will see people pull over and do their utmost to save them.

But some asshole crawling out onto a bridge and waiting till the news choppers arrive to make their exit? when they could easily have just vaulted over the side and been done with it without disrupting the whole working world?

That is just manipulative self centered bullshit and MOST people simply are not gonna validate it. Nor should they.

You want help? Check into a hospital... they will help you.
Hell, if you know me, CALL ME, and tell me you are feeling suicidal and need help... I will be right over.

But You wanna make a scene cause the rest of the world just isn't paying YOU as much attention as YOU think YOU deserve....

Suicide is the ultimate expression of self absorption.

Again... I love life.... If you don't love life enough to fight for it... step off...
My tears are reserved for those who want to stay, and can't.