college. yay or nay? i say HELL to the NAY!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by marleyisalegend, Oct 21, 2010.

1. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    and CNN helped me make my mind up. after discovering my passion for food i had been considering going to culinary school until ONE LINE on CNN's special Black In America Debt Free (still on the air)....

They're profiling a young man who is a freshman in college. As a FRESHMAN he's going into school $16,000 in debt. Wait a minute?! He doesn't even have a degree yet and he's out the value of a car? So he's going to accrue MORE debt to get a degree that (especially as a black man) may or MAY NOT even be worth it's weight in donkey shit?

No ma'am Pam!

#1 marleyisalegend, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am a big believer in education. If one can, try to get two years of college. Junior college is great, much cheaper than taking two years at a four year college and won't put you in so much debt. High School diplomas mean almost nothing. In the town I come form...you can't even get a job at the mall without two years. It just says you did a little more. Plus, you may really want to get a four year degree later in life. To have knocked off the first two years when you are young...two more years down the road may be tough but possible. To start all four down the road is very difficult if you have to take one night course at a time. Just a thought

3. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Isn't that sort of outdated? That's what they were saying when I was a kid. Now the recurring theme is that bachelors and associates mean almost nothing.

Education is important to me, just not formal education. I don't need a professor to crack open a book and do independent studies.

4. D_Myer_Dogasflees

D_Myer_Dogasflees New Member

Yes, absolutely, if you've got the cash, and always yes if it's an ivy league(view the forbes lists). $16k is nothing compared to the bonus you'll get payed and the life and connections you may make. Don't attend a college where you don't fit in/find acquaintance. Sometimes you've got to take big steps.

my2c

5. accemb

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unless one is planning on going into a particular trade (i.e. electrician, plumbing, construction, etc - all of which require training as well), a college degree is necessary. A high school diploma will only get you so far.

6. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I was 19 I worked at a movie theater alongside two people who had Masters degrees. What were you saying about a high school diploma only getting you so far? (no offense AMC Theaters)

7. D_Tilly_De_Toilet

D_Tilly_De_Toilet New Member

What's so shocking about that? You can't just walk down to the diploma store and pick one up - It costs money to go to college. $16,000 is peanuts compared to what I'll be paying next year.

8. glowfish

glowfish New Member

It's worth it if you take a degree that has market value, and you attend an institution where you'll get access to the best academic resources and connections that will serve you later. On some courses and at some colleges, you will meet some of the sharpest and interesting minds of our generation. Plus, for anyone with a big cock college is full of hot chicks looking to explode their sexuality.

9. breeze

breeze Member

I went to berkeley and could have gone to princeton later. I think it was the biggest waste of time in my life. It might have been different if i had been an accounting major or something like that. But even then. Now its even more expensive but they've changed how student loans have to be repayed i believe.
    science grads ask " How does it work?"
    accounting grads ask "How much does it cost?"
    engineering grads ask "How do i built it?"
    liberal arts grads ask {the ones that don't teach} ask " Do you want fries with that?" Well do punk?
    {comics and stocks have made me rich but you don't have to go to college for that}

10. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Me, I quit college, landed a sweet job, have a 4 bedroom/3 bath/finished basement/3 car garrage/2.5 acres in the subs and a 2 bedroom/2 bath/w/terrace in the city all thanks to union.:smile:.

Get a nice solid & secure union job in a place where they aren't likely to lay people off and in 25 to 30 yrs. you retire with a nice fat pension or can keep at it and put an extra pad on the pension and leave with even bigger bucks, which is what I'm doing. At retirement (I plan to exit at 62) I'll get tax free, a bigger check than I get now!:smile:!

My son-in-law saw the smartness and landed himself a nice spot in a different city, same kind of work, my daughter has no need to work with hubby's pay.

Meantime my squeezable has a Masters in 2 different fields but has a gross pay that's just over 1/2 what I net! He has no built in pension either. Yeah that degree has helped him:rolleyes:.

Get a union job it's the best thing for getting a good night of sleep.:smile:.

11. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    The "value" of a university education is not limited to a strict cost/benefit analysis along the lines of "it costs xx dollars, and it will ultimately yield xx dollars." There's a lot more to it than that. It's a uniquely rewarding life experience in which one is immersed in a heady brew of sociopoliticalcultural-ness. And it's definitely worth having. At just about any price.

On your deathbed you won't give two seconds concern to whether you took on too much college tuition debt. But you'll treasure your collegiate experiences like diamonds in the velvet of your heart.

12. luka82

Gold Member

Exactly.
    Not everything is about money.

13. tgirlsrgreat

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "So he's going to accrue MORE debt to get a degree that (especially as a black man)may or MAY NOT even be worth it's weight in donkey shit?"

this is just going to get passed over??

what does being black have to do with anything???

#13 tgirlsrgreat, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  14. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Would it alter your argumentative fire if you knew marleyisalegend's ethnicity?

15. tgirlsrgreat

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    nope, not a bit

but in fairness i will remove my racist question, for now.

16. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    K.

:popcorn:

:wink:

17. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hoss - You are Old union. They don't have that gravy train anymore. Long gone. Pensions are a thing of the past. Grab your ass - as yours might be on the chopping block too.
    With the current corporatocracy going on....anything is possible.

My degree hasn't done shit for me yet.
    I'm $20K in the hole, heading for middle age, and I'm still making peanuts and now in debt with some foreign bastards named "Bob" constantly calling me "You need to pay your student loan".
    I am convinced that Unless your Fit, Trim, beautiful and from a family of money and wealth you'll have a hard time.

18. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is when you wanna eat dinner and have a roof over your head. As far as the multi-cultural experience, is college really the only place you get that? I've met brilliant people who have turned my world upside down through "friend of a friend" on Facebook. That was free.

19. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nothing at all, because we know the job market treats blacks as equals to whites. :rolleyes:

*cue study from last year, the year before that, and the year before that where applicants named Quanisha and Tyrell are passed over for Bradley and Jennifer*

20. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Preach! At my job if someone even utters the word union the higher ups will hop on their multi-million dollar luxury jet, fly out to the workplace and investigate until they find out who said the word so they can "talk about their future with the company." :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted