Cologne

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by _avg_, Mar 1, 2009.

1. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is a little cologne a good idea or a bad idea?
    Most "enticing" cologne?
    Most repugnant cologne?

I happen to think that guys who wear cologne are self-important douchebags broadcasting a message that amounts to little more than 'my aim is to bag whatever bar-skank finds me least repellant.'

I'm told I should rethink this.

2. canuck_pa

Gold Member

I wear a very little cologne because I want to know what I smell like.

And I assure you I'm not looking for any 'bar-skank'.

3. kyberneticka

kyberneticka Member

Albums:
    I like a little cologne, but it's so easy for someone to overdo it. A guy I work with makes me ill because he practically showers in it.

I wear a little Aveda, but you gotta be close to smell it on me.

I'm in the market for a bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed, but it's taking forever for the local shop to get it in stock. I put in my order 3 weeks ago and it's still not here.

I think the most revolting cologne is Obsession. It makes me sick within seconds of smelling it.

4. D_Iskepee_Longwoodee

I wear cologne. I own many different brands...my favorite is A&F Fierce....

5. kyberneticka

kyberneticka Member

Albums:
    I haven't smelled that A&F cologne, but I used to wear A&F Woods. It was one of my favorites and it's no longer produced.

I've seen bottles of it on eBay recently for $200+

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

I used to stick with Evelyn/Crabtree's version of aerosol sandalwood. Then I discovered Issey Miyake's L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme. Contains absolutely no civet butt (musk), and therefore does not end up smelling like the majority of men's colognes at the end of the day. Tommy Hilfigger, Hugo Boss, Yves St. Laurent all smell putrid and indistinguisable after a 8 hours, as do all men's colognes that use musk as a base. Enough with the musk.

Fortunately it costs a month's pension (almost) and no one has a clue that it exists except for those who spend a lot of idle time in airport duty-free shops. Nice light citrus with even lighter sandlewood and a hint of jasmine. Pump one spray of it in my bedroom and walk naked through the mist while I'm toweling off after my morning shower. Keeps me welcome among friends in closed rooms in a hot, humid, sweaty country and leaves a comfortable almost imperceptable scent in the bedroom.

Sadly, I've noticed Issey Miyake has come out with a woodsy musk-based cologne in a blue bottle for about 1/3 the price of the light green stuff I keep around. The Squeeze bought some and I made him get up and take a shower in the middle of the night because his first bedtime shower didn't wash his morning spritz completely away. Thank God for Roxana deoderant soaps.

I made the mistake of giving a bottle of Jade East to a friend as a gag gift last year. He'd never heard of it and unfortunately liked it. Oy! Memories of 7th grade!

7. drido73

drido73 New Member

i think in my personal opinion that a man no matter his sexual orientation , "smell" better by his own man scent ( not all men smell same) ,lol, Specially when he knows as to stay clean at the top like hygienic from feet passing through of the genitals and the buttock/anus to head .

maybe for to give to one better impression the use of a little cologne in a loving appointment (date) .to me becomes fanatical but acceptable but by the natural aroma in the human beings .

#7 drido73, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I used to wear cologne (years ago) and have since stopped. To me, men and women smell best after a shower and without tons of artificial smells on.

That being said, most people make the mistake in wearing FAR too much cologne. If you spray once in the air and walk through it, you will smell just right. If you are hairy, you have to be extra careful as your hair carries and spreads the smell. Never spray it on your clothes, either.

Cologne is meant to be smelled when someone is CLOSE to you, not from the other side of the room.

9. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Now a days, stink is in. Guys dont even bathe or wear deodorant. Not attractive...

10. D_season 5

D_season 5 Account Disabled

i like em light and citrus

equipage Hermes
    eau de Orange Hermes
    eau de Hadrien Annnick Goutal

all natural fragrances...lots of grapefruit and orange, lemon.
    can't beat it for all day fresh..and if u can't smell what u put on..u have the correct amount on

11. Uncutsouthernboy

Uncutsouthernboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I know a few guys who wear so much perfume that you can smell them before they come in the room and long after they leave. While they are present I am busy gasping for air. I wonder how many asthma sufferers have attacks when they are around guys and girls like these?

12. garcia guy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like to wear a little perfume. Right know I like the "Lacoste essential" because it doesn't have a strong smell.

13. mountainjew

mountainjew New Member

i get a little OCD with cologne and I know i put too much on but just can't stop myself. My thougths each time are bar/cub = hot and sweaty, abd as such i Iam scared of smelling nasty.
    My current thing he wears a really nice scent, some really soft vanilla thing. I just love it.

edit: as for what i wear I was a HUGE hugo boss fan but somehow that brings me out in a rash these days =[
    I went through a stage of wearing azzaro as i had a small sample bottle on and pulled twice the two times I was out wearing it- but just sniffing it there I don't really like it.
    Then wore armani mania, and now got davidoff cool water which was given to me.

#13 mountainjew, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  14. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I prefer my men cologneless.........I've noticed anecdotally, at least with gay men, it seems to be a generational thing. The Older you are the LESS likely you are to wear cologne and the younger you are the MORE you are likely to wear cologne.

15. drido73

drido73 New Member

i knew men wear cologne and women perfume or parfum :)

16. systemshock3

systemshock3 Member

Albums:
    I can understand this. I would say that the best colognes are the ones that compliment the natural smells of a man, add something to them as opposed to something that is so overt that ALL you smell is the fragrance. I'm really picky about my colognes as a result of this, and I also get scents that work with a mood I am trying to project.

Sexy/Manly Scent on me: Calvin Klein Euphoria
    Sexy/Happy Scent for Office-Social wear: Lanvin Ixygene or Incanto by Ferragamo.

17. D_Mac_D_Nife

D_Mac_D_Nife Account Disabled

I'm not big on colognes or perfumes at all. I don't wear any myself but part of that is the fact that I don't like to smell it all day long. For some reason colognes are not smell I become desensitized to after a while, I pretty much smell them until they have been showered away.

One scent that I've smelled on men as well as women that makes me gag instantly is Patchouli. Ugh, I cannot tolerate that stench. It's very strong when used in the oil form and is generally applied too liberally.

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Bathing in not an option. My college roomate would not shower everyday and would instead, cover himself in more cologne. UGH.

People smell fresh when cleanly showered. I wear deodorant to work (Sure Unscented) and never on the weekends, although I shower at least once per day, sometimes more in the summer.

If a guy has showered in a non-deodorant soap like Dove or Ivory and then goes out, I love the way he smells like himself if you put your nose in his neck.

I hate being overpowered by ANY smell--deodorant, pheromone, or cologne.

19. nudeyorker

Gold Member

If I'm going out...I'll spray some Eau D'Hermes in the air and walk through it. If you can smell it with out being 2" away you are wearing too much!

20. jjsjr

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love my colognes.
    I have about 6 I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted