Comfort food.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jdoe86, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is a strange thread.. but I want to know what your "comfort foods" are. I think mine is french toast with link sausage and a side of tomatoes. When I eat this, I think of my father cooking it on Sunday morning. Okay, what are yours and what do they remind you of?

2. Imported

Gold Member

str8_nnj: Shrimp salad I can never make it like mom's...I have to be missing something. The most frustrating thing is no one else in my family knew what she used

3. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: fried catfish...being from arkansas i love catfish...at every special occasion growing up, the guest of honor would choose to eat at 'catfish n' in dardanelle and we would go there and have a special nite of enjoying each others company and having the catfish buffet...
    my mouth is watering right now...cuz i live in phoenix now...and cant find catfish worth eating out here...

4. Max

Max New Member

Toad in the hole (sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding) with lots of gravy and served with mash ... because it reminds me of my childhood. It has always been a winner with my children too.

5. Imported

Gold Member

dfox7.3x5: Cottage cheese
    Tuna sandwiches
    Macaroni and cheese (!)
    Pot roast

6. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: Eggs, over easy, with bacon, and toast with black raspberry jelly. My favorite meal. I ate this three times a day for almost a whole Christmas break one year in college.

I only get this nowadays when we travelling. I'm health conscious in my old age.

:-X

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Cornbread broken up in a glass of buttermilk.

It's one of the few things my father did that I actually enjoyed.

8. Imported

Gold Member

8.5_inch_Canuck: Rare Steak. Preferably a Rib Steak.

9. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: homemade mashed potatoes and gravy...
    fried potatoes with onions...
    apple cobbler...
    homemade stuffing...
    hmmm. i like to eat!

Tender

(WAIT!) i forgot one!
    Captain D's chicken dinner.
    i ate that a jillion times when i was pregnant.
    and even now when i get sick, ie flu ect, and then after i get to feeling better, SweetBoy gets sent to Captain D's for 'the usual'...
    i love it, have no idea why... but i crave it sometimes...

10. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

Okay, allow me to gross everyone out with my #1 comfort food: menudo ... and I don't mean the Latino boy band!

11. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: [quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1071346549;start=0#9 date=12/14/03 at 00:06:13]Okay, allow me to gross everyone out with my #1 comfort food: menudo ... and I don't mean the Latino boy band! [/quote]

Excellent name for a boy band - tripe

Cool name and descriptive!

12. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    As long as it is your comfort food, don't worry...

13. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

How is it possible to get grossed out when one can't understand the meaning of "menudo"? My dictionary says it's an adjective meaning minute or tiny. Someone please explain to help me get the geste of this ' comfort food' (?)

Luke

14. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

[quote author=RoysToy link=board=99;num=1071346549;start=0#12 date=12/14/03 at 14:40:53]How is it possible to get grossed out when one can't understand the meaning of "menudo"?   My dictionary says it's an adjective meaning minute or tiny.  Someone please explain to help me get the geste of this ' comfort food' (?)[/quote]

Okay. Menudo is the Spanish cognate of the English adjective minute. As a noun, menudo means small change. That's the meaning used by the now defunct group Menudo, due to their young ages. However, in Carribean Spanish menudo is also the name of a type of tripe stew. Being Cuban, menudo was standard fare in my house. If you don't like tripe (and apparently many don't), so be it. For me, eating menudo brings back a lot of fond family memories.

15. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

Bet my face looks like some I remember seeing in the class room as a student understood for the first time, something new. --the greatest joy of the teaching profession!

But, getting back to menudo, had I looked up longtimelurker's "tripe", I would have been in on DMW's
    most comforting food posting without having to be hand feed!

Luke

16. Imported

Gold Member

James249620002000: Fried chicken does it for me.

James

17. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: meatloaf with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy

OR

a fried pork chop, with macaroni and cheese, collards, fried okra, and a big ol' slab of pound cake, all washed down with some sweet tea.

18. Imported

Gold Member

bblumbee: Comfort foods... anything that is not healthy for you! I am a big junk food lover.

As a kid, it was very rare for us to ever eat chips, chocolate, fast food, etc. My exploration in college did it all for me. :) The memories it brings back are many (I will leave it at that... many first). ;)

bb

19. jdoe86

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have had menudo.. I did not like it that much, I think you need to just have a taste for it. But then again, it was so many years ago and my tastes in have changed. here in San Jose, there is a large hispanic community and there is menudo everywhere.. I think I will give it another try.. it won't kill me.

20. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: [quote author=bblumbee link=board=99;num=1071346549;start=0#17 date=12/15/03 at 11:35:21]Comfort foods...  anything that is not healthy for you!  I am a big junk food lover.  

As a kid, it was very rare for us to ever eat chips, chocolate, fast food, etc.  My exploration in college did it all for me.  :)  The memories it brings back are many (I will leave it at that... many first).  ;)

bb[/quote]

Bee!! Welcome back!!!

You've been missed!

Allie

Draft saved Draft deleted