comic book/superheroes..hardcore or casual?

dlfellow

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
with the upcomming movies Green Lantern,Captain America,Thor,and Cowboy and Aliens,how many people here are hardcore fans?
and by hardcore i mean when every wedensday comes around you can't wait to read the latest issue of what ever book your a fan of,
or are you the casual type who's familair with a character(s)
and just enjoy it for the 90 mins. or so and that's it.

RioDalston

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I'm hardcore too. Comics are my biggest vice - even more so than cock!

I buy most DC & Marvel and quite a lot from smaller publishers too.

I used to think Thursday was the best day of the week but now that the UK gets it's comics on the same day as the US - it's Wednesday.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was hard core once upon a time, I had every Comic Book store between my office and house mapped out.

Now I am on a budget and the thought of trying to collect 10 - 12 regular series, limited series and new story lines with back issues at today's prices / book is out of my reach

Reactions: ladygaga1977

Casual.. I'm more along the lines of The Sandman, Fables, and Tales From Wonderland. I've read the occasional comic book here, and there, though. I thought some of the Marvel Zombies stuff was neat. I also keep wanting to read some Hellblazer..

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I was hardcore. By the time I was in college (and having been an over-sheltered, shy and introverted late bloomer) I guess I discovered women, that is, beyond that moonstruck gazing at the face from afar kind of "discovery"; an eventuality which, in part no doubt, replaced the comics.

Besides which I was beginning to have my fill of the direction they were taking anyway. Marvel's villains seemed to be getting more omnipotent by the gross, and each story was the greatest battle of all time with the fate of the universe in the balance.

DC's, meanwhile, were either banal or TOO much, with Speedy on drugs and story lines beginning to read like editorials instead of action adventure yarns... gahhhh.

Or maybe I just lost interest. Sure is great seeing them on the big screen though. We've always dreamt of it.

Last edited:

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
I was hardcore. By the time I was in college (and having been an over-sheltered, shy and introverted late bloomer) I guess I discovered women, that is, beyond that moonstruck gazing at the face from afar kind of "discovery"; an eventuality which, in part no doubt, replaced the comics.

Besides which I was beginning to have my fill of the direction they were taking anyway. Marvel's villains seemed to be getting more omnipotent by the gross, and each story was the greatest battle of all time with the fate of the universe in the balance.

DC's, meanwhile, were either banal or TOO much, with Speedy on drugs and story lines beginning to read like editorials instead of action adventure yarns... gahhhh.

Or maybe I just lost interest. Sure is great seeing them on the big screen though. We've always dreamt of it.

Did you drop out of comics entirely or just superhero comics? I don't read many super hero comics anymore, but I still read a ton of comics every month.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I quit "cold turkey", Wally, right about the time I stumbled upon the seven rings of Raggadorrrrrrrrrr... (or were they the crimson bands of Cyttorak??? Funny... can't remember which).

I think I may have bought two, maybe three comic books since, one of them being "The (alleged) Death of Superman".

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
What made comics attractive to me were their investment potential and beautiful artwork , in some cases , combined with great stories.

They haven't been any superstar artists in the last 20 years except maybe for greg capullo.
Before then carl barks , neal adams , frank frazetta , jeff jones , walt kelly , bill woggins , wally wood , barry smith etc. etc.

I read about a dealer who traded and bought 10,000 copies of x-men 129 for 10 cents each back then. You can't do that now. X-men 129 is 135.00 in overstreet. I think the value of 10,000 copies of x-men 139 in mint exceeds one milllion dollars.

Its ironic you're spenting all that time and money going to college thinking it will secure your future and a few blocks away is a fortune which could have gotten for pennies. The only others investments are stocks and houses which require capital in most cases.

The classic runs since the 70s.

Conan 1-24 Maybe the greatest artist of the last 50 years barry smith. Cgc 9.8 copies are selling for over 2,000 in some cases.

Swanp Thing 1-10 berni wrightson { he didn't stick around very long too }

Miracleman { currently reprints are on sale }

Daredevil 158-188 frank miller

X-men 94-143 DC { average artwork } and JB from 108 on in his classic run

Walking Dead { don't understand it } WD 1 1,000.00

Green Lantern 76-89.batman with neal adams

Sandman relatively inexpensive but ended at the the author's request {neil gaiman}

And joining this elite group is the new batman 52 with scott snyder and greg capullo.
Overstreet is behind on this book. They sell for much higher prices on ebay and other online sites. What is interesting is that the runs on the great titles were short lived. SS and GC have committed for the long run.

Last edited:

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
I quit "cold turkey", Wally, right about the time I stumbled upon the seven rings of Raggadorrrrrrrrrr... (or were they the crimson bands of Cyttorak??? Funny... can't remember which).

I think I may have bought two, maybe three comic books since, one of them being "The (alleged) Death of Superman".

Oh wow, you quit years ago. I was just getting into comics around that time. I can definitely see why you would leave comics in that era. The stories weren't that great and the sheer diversity of titles that exist today just wasn't a thing back then.

I'm thirty now and probably find comics more interesting than women, so I'm pretty sure I'll never stop reading them. I have stopped reading DC and Marvel, though. I read a lot of Image and especially like another indie publisher called Valiant.

breeze

Experimental Member
Media
A tale of sorts. Valiant and image took the comic book world by storm in the mid 1990s.
Valiant passed dc , passed marvel , passed the silver age market and passed even the golden age market. The prices of valiant issues soared like gold. A new king was going to be crowned. Image wasn't far behind. A whole landscape was being drawn.

A lot of it was the writing of jim shooter. And valiant hired barry windsor smith the great artist known for his classic marvel conan stories { go to ebay and in the search box write conan 24 {red sonja} or barry smith opus 1 to see his artwork }. He sold his sketches on his website for 10,000 each. The problem was he didn't want to draw in the same style. He did archer and armstrong. It was good but not great art. I showed a conan issue to a couple of friends. My lady friend said his art was amazing. My other friend there will never be another barry smith. Barry's art changed and improved with every issue.

Then as fast they arrived they disappeared. BK. You can buy most of these issues at cons for 25 cents , 50 cents etc. Image fared better than valiant as the years passed. Its a different ballgame now. If dc can make a billion dollars with a batman movie who cares about the comic but its important to keep it going to bring it new fans. The wwe is going to find that out too since they've gone only play for pay and the loss of wcw. A dr.solar movie probably isn't going to bring in a billion dollars. A lot of these valiant characters { unless a new new valiant company has arrived } are dell/gold key characters from way back.Harbinger is new though. Some of the old key valiants are still valuable but hard to find.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
with the upcomming movies Green Lantern,Captain America,Thor,and Cowboy and Aliens,how many people here are hardcore fans?
and by hardcore i mean when every wedensday comes around you can't wait to read the latest issue of what ever book your a fan of,
or are you the casual type who's familair with a character(s)
and just enjoy it for the 90 mins. or so and that's it.
Definitely hardcore to MARVEL when I can get it; Especially when it comes to replacing some issues I lost almost 30 yrs ago
DC & Marvel is garbage
Well, i know of a lot of people who don't think Marvel & DC are garbage, myself included.
Casual.. I'm more along the lines of The Sandman, Fables, and Tales From Wonderland. I've read the occasional comic book here, and there, though. I thought some of the Marvel Zombies stuff was neat. I also keep wanting to read some Hellblazer..
Damn. How come NJ hasn't got more gals like YOU there, Fade?:dunno::love:
Hot body, keen mind, and now a comic book geekette.I need some ice.

Popyuu

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a filthy filthy casual that leans toward mid-range chick..i mean hardcore. I know a little more than the average casual but have no clue why batman would be all smilely face for a cow.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
A tale of sorts. Valiant and image took the comic book world by storm in the mid 1990s.
Valiant passed dc , passed marvel , passed the silver age market and passed even the golden age market. The prices of valiant issues soared like gold. A new king was going to be crowned. Image wasn't far behind. A whole landscape was being drawn.

A lot of it was the writing of jim shooter. And valiant hired barry windsor smith the great artist known for his classic marvel conan stories { go to ebay and in the search box write conan 24 {red sonja} or barry smith opus 1 to see his artwork }. He sold his sketches on his website for 10,000 each. The problem was he didn't want to draw in the same style. He did archer and armstrong. It was good but not great art. I showed a conan issue to a couple of friends. My lady friend said his art was amazing. My other friend there will never be another barry smith. Barry's art changed and improved with every issue.

Then as fast they arrived they disappeared. BK. You can buy most of these issues at cons for 25 cents , 50 cents etc. Image fared better than valiant as the years passed. Its a different ballgame now. If dc can make a billion dollars with a batman movie who cares about the comic but its important to keep it going to bring it new fans. The wwe is going to find that out too since they've gone only play for pay and the loss of wcw. A dr.solar movie probably isn't going to bring in a billion dollars. A lot of these valiant characters { unless a new new valiant company has arrived } are dell/gold key characters from way back.Harbinger is new though. Some of the old key valiants are still valuable but hard to find.

Yeah, the original Valiant Comics was a victim of the speculator boom/bust. I've heard a lot of stories about that time. A lot of good comics were put out during that time, but there was also a lot of shit. I loved Milestone, I used the internet to find the old issues, but a lot of what Image put out back then was horrible.

Out of those companies created during the boom, Image easily did the best. I mean, it's still around. lol Milestone, Malibu, etc. all went out of business. Original Valiant went out of business years ago and a new company was created to buy the rights to the Valiant characters about ten years ago. This company started putting out new titles based around the Valiant intellectual properties in 2012. I've read most of their titles and have to say that they're pretty good.

The WWE... I don't watch wrestling anymore, but I love hearing about all the backstage drama. The WWE is in trouble financially and creatively. The network has been a flop and they've done such a horrible job of building stars in the past decade that there is no one to replace their current crop of aging talent. I honestly wonder if the WWE will still be here in a decade or so.