Comic Books

MetalPenguin666

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just wanted to see if there are any other Comic Book fans out there?? Always been a big fan as a kid, got out for a while and have gotten back into things the last few years. Mostly a Marvel reader. Loved the old Image/Wildstorm stuff. SLOWLY getting into some DC stuff. But I'd love to hear from some people.

What titles are you reading?
Who are your favorite characters?

Would like to find some people to chat with somewhat regularly about titles, so feel totally free to PM me here or IM me on Yahoo anytime!!

kjguy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've always had a fascination and interest in comic books, but I never had the money to really get any until recently. I'm a Marvel guy as well. Since my favorite characters are Cyclops from X-men and Spider-man, I'm trying to follow their stories. There's sooo many Spider-man comics, so I'm finding it difficult to just pick up one his series and follow through. However, I'm reading the three part X-men the End by Chris Claremont, as well as Astonishing X-men. As a Cyclops fan, Astonishing X-men makes me happy. I started reading Phoenix Endsong in the bookstore, but when I was realizing how much I was liking it, I put it back and decided I would buy it at a later time and finish it since I wanted to have it. I want to start reading the Civil War series too, combining almost all of the Marvel Universe together.
Do you have any recommendationg for other book series?

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I am a HUGE Comics fan. If it says X-Men on it...hell...if there is an "X" in the title, I probably read it. I think you can call me a fan of Bendis, so most of the things he writes. Warren Ellis as well.

I hate Chris Claremont though...so he negates the "X" rule.

Calcium

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Man, Image has some good stuff, but all I can think of is Liefeld, which makes me queasy.

Anyway, things that should be read:
The Authority
Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol
Powers
Y: The Last Man
American Virgin
Hellboy/BPRD
The Invisibles (kinda hit or miss)
100 Bullets
Transmetropolitan
Nextwave
Planetary (read this after you've read other stuff)
Ultimates (Maybe, also can be hit or miss. Art's nice, though)

MetalPenguin666

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Very cool....yes there are like 20 Spidey titles out there lol. I basically just read Amazing Spider-man, and get some extra does of him in the New Anvengers book. HUGE X-men fan, now is the time to get going because they are starting their 1st big X event in a while the "Messiah Complex" I know Cyke is having a nice leadership role so far in this one. Civil War was cool in concept, but got drug out over too many titles. Then came World War Hulk, which just didn't grab me, and now its all setting up for the big Marvel even of next year "Secret Invasion" I'm getting excited. Who's a Skrull? Who can you trust? OOO the nerd in me can't take it lol..... What other characters do you like as I think Astonishing is supposed to be very good for Cyclops (I just ordered the 1st 2 Trades of that series) and Spiderman has a main book. I can suggest some other cool ones to get into. The main Marvel books I get regularly are

Mighty Avengers
New Avengers
X-men
Uncanny X-men
Amazing Spider-man

and I just finished and LOVED the Illuminati mini-series.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I've never been into comic books. About the only time I was interested in them was July of last year, when my local newspaper was participating in what was supposed to be a year-long distribution of reprints of the original Spider-Man comic book series. I had every issue saved until the effort was abruptly ended by the distributor about halfway through for some unknown reason. This summer I ended up just throwing the issues I had collected so far.

holsty101

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
mmmmmm... comics :biggrin1:

The Authority
Powers
American Virgin
Hellboy/BPRD
The Invisibles (kinda hit or miss)
100 Bullets
Transmetropolitan
Nextwave
Planetary (read this after you've read other stuff)
Ultimates (Maybe, also can be hit or miss. Art's nice, though)

That's some good stuff there Calcium :biggthumpup2: It's a shame Nextwave got canned and Y: The Last Man's only got 1 issue left :sad2:

Anything, -anything- written by Warren Ellis is usually worth checking out (apart from the mentioned Transmet, Nextwave & Planetary I'm particularly keen on Global Frequency, Orbiter, Ministry of Space and Fell), anyone else reading his new (limited) series Black Summer? It's about a super-hero who kills the president :cool: LMAO (Also has nice hyper-detailed artwork in a Geof Darrow (Hard Boiled & Matrix trilogy concept artist) style).

TBH I'm not really into all the Marvel/DC super-hero stuff, with the odd exception of something like Marvels or The New Frontier, having to deal with (in some cases) decades of continuity just puts me off :redface: And when they do those fucking cross-overs where you need to get particular issues from however-many series to get the story... That -really- pisses me off. It just strikes me as (unnecessary) exploitation of comic-geeks... Fuckers.

So (Kurt Busiek's) Astro City is pretty much the only S/H series I'm fanatical about, tho I've just started reading Invincible ... oh wow, get hold of the first 3 collections, issues 11 & 12 (near the end of the 3rd one) took me completely by surprise and made me go :eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool:

I'd also recommend Kabuki, which apart from a good story line has the most consistently outstanding artwork, especially the previous collection (Metamorphosis), and the current arc (Alchemy).

boobie_luvr

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I love Y, shame about next issue though. I read about 40 titles a month, about 30 of those being DC, with the remaining 10 mostly Dark Horse Star Wars titles and a few Marvel and other indies.

Pretty much all Bat-related titles as well as Superman related.

DMZ is pretty good also.

I love the current return of Captain Carrot AHAZC, even though it's only a 3 issue run. It's original run was one of the first two comic books that I bought.

Maybe later i'll update with a complete list of what I read.

Gabriel

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm an ex-comic book reader from way back when Spidey, F.F, Avengers, X-Men, etc. first got their start. Life was so much simpler then. Only one Amazing Spider Man mag to keep up with rather that the zillions of spin-offs that I'm hearing are out there now. Back then the X-Men were a simple crew of well known faces (Angel, Beast, Ice Man, Jean Gray, Cyclops) and wore blue outfits with yellow x's. No Wolverine or Storm or an endless parade of debutant mutants. Back then Green Lantern was still Hal Jordan. (Don't know who the heck he is now...heard he's been everything from a lizard to a brother... and back)....

I began losing interest in comics in part because the plots kept getting more and more incredible. Each new issue was "the greatest peril man has ever faced", the "most powerful arch-villain ever" who with the snap of a finger could obliterate all time (but somehow never did). This was around the time Galactus, and Silver Surfer, and the Watcher started making the scene.

I remember this Annual (what they called fat comic books) where Sue and Reed got married. I don't remember who (Doc. Doom??) cooked up this gismo that caused all the Marvel baddies to show up for the wedding causing city wide "mayhem" (a particularly whimsical marvel word).

But just when the book's getting good this Watcher character shows up. He doesn't give Reed a weapon to use...nahhhh... he just takes him to this planet "warehouse" of intergalactic devices (as it were) and "watches" him look around. Needless to say Reed finds a thing-a-ma-jig that tunes in on all the villains and whisks them away, just in time for the nuptials. (WTF??)

When fantasy gets too fantastic.... well. Maybe I just outgrew them.

Still, it's a joy to see these characters on the big screen. Like watching someone you've known for a very long time.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Image and Wildstorm count as "classic" now? I remember when they were all shiny new-fangled and edgy, trying to stir things up in the stagnant uniform waters of the tired Marvel and DC universes.

The first comics I ever read were Transformers comics. I wasn't really a big fan of comics at the time, but I was a big fan of Transformers.

I started collecting a lot when the Death of Superman thing was hyped to high heaven. I managed to collect most of that storyline, and get my hands on one of the original "black bag" issues.

At the same time, there were newspaper headlines about old Action Comics and Fantastic Four issues selling for millions of dollars at auction. DC and Marvel sales were tanking. So they started doing all sorts of gimmicky crap to try and capitalize on the new craze for value-motivated comic book collecting while bringing attention to old brands. I was young, and I fell for it.

Much of my collection from this period was bought not so that I could read the issues themselves, but rather as speculation for which issues would become valuable. and the comic producers themselves knew that I was out there and tried all sorts of tricks to convince me to buy each issue.

Dumb gimmicks like killing big name superheros like Superman, Green Lantern, etc. (then usually bringing them back a few months later) Paralyzing Batman (the Bane storyline). Removing Wolverine's adamantium skeleton. etc.

Even dumber gimmicks like starting new series every month (that might run only 5 or 10 issues) . Foil covers. Gatefold covers. Holographic covers. Alternate art covers. Spiderman's new armor (destroyed in the same issue) The Jean Grey/Scott Summer wedding. Death of Charles Xavier (turned out not to be him but they still made a huge deal out of it) etc etc etc kind of a low point in comic history if you ask me but that's when I got into it.

When I actually started reading some comics, it was with the early Image stuff. I liked Spawn up until I got really really sick of Todd MacFarlane and the meandering pointless storyline, oh around issue 50 or so. I liked Pitt, except it took forever for new issues to come out. I loved The Tick, though each successive spinoff seemed to get worse and worse when issue 13 never came out. Alpha City seemed really interesting for a while but I never got into it.

As a medium, I lost interest in comic books when I was in high school. They stopped interesting me as much. I was also spending all of my money in high school on my girlfriend, so I didn't have anything left over for comic books. I still played with the idea of making my own comic books, even beyond the point at which I stopped finding them interesting reading, well into my 20s. but they no longer hold much fascination for me at all anymore. I still enjoy some comic book movies, that's about it.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i'm still a comic book fan. i was enraptured with the whole Dark Phoenix saga because it was beautiful and tragic....plus, i would kill for Jean's powers. telepathy and telekinesis? dayum!

SereneBlue

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most of the stuff I read is DC Vertigo, Wildstorm, some Image, Darkhorse and Indie stuff. My fave comic ever is Mike Carey's Lucifer and second to that is Gaiman's The Sandman. Oh...and I like Darkhorse's Conan. Now...if only somebody would make a series out of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulu mythos...

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I read [SIZE=-1]無限の住人, aka "Blade of the Immortal" in English.

I'm not sure if it's ever really caught outside Japan, but I know Dark Horse releases it in English. It's kind of surprising and impressive that it is released outside Japan since the main character's name is "Manji", which in Japanese is written 卍, and he has a giant swastika on the back of his yukata.

It probably should have ended by now, but I still manage to enjoy it. Of course, there are usually crazy fight sequences in it that culminate in a very artful kill-shot. For example:

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/megasmile/imgs/d/7/d77a2aad.JPG

American comic books... I read Spider-Man when I was a kid, but it got pretty bad in the 90s and I lost interest as I got older.
[/SIZE]

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
I love marvel characters! Jean Grey will live forever as the most amazing comic character ever. But I also love Storm and Magneto.
One of my favourite PS2 games is The Rise of The Imperfects, featuring some special Marvel characters. The best one is called The Wink. She has the ability to evaporate and has these crazy swords that come out of her arms.

Well now I've established myself as a grade A geek i'll be off! :biggrin1:
Hehe

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
ultimates (all books)
kingdom come
Justice
Superman Red Son
Identity crisis
Superman birthright
Rising Stars

Those are my favorite trades. Unbelievably well written if you dont peak they are very suspenseful

Also a real fun one is marvel zombies

kjguy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I love marvel characters! Jean Grey will live forever as the most amazing comic character ever. But I also love Storm and Magneto.
One of my favourite PS2 games is The Rise of The Imperfects, featuring some special Marvel characters. The best one is called The Wink. She has the ability to evaporate and has these crazy swords that come out of her arms.

Well now I've established myself as a grade A geek i'll be off! :biggrin1:
Hehe

That's a really fun game!!!! I own it, and it's awesome as a fighting game!! The story mode is a little weird and thin in plot. But Wink is pretty cool!

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i loved comics for years.
for the classics section i dug x-men and silver surfer.
but as far as modern comics i dig the more durable graphic novels.
The Tenth
Adrenalyn
Syke
Dawn (eh)
F5
POISON ELVES ! !
Pitt
Spider Garden by michael manning (best erotic comic)
Hydrophidian
Tranceptor Series by michael manning.