Coming out: how young is too young? - Discussion

Stephenmass

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
This doesn't really answer your question Eddy, but I wonder what the percentages are of say adolescents who have come out and committed suicide and the percentages of men who came out later and committed suicide. Of course we all hear about the adolescents and yes it is certainly tragic, but I am just trying to find some perspective.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not sure about others, but it actually bothers me to hear "I have known for years" from a parent in regards to a child coming out. They think that it is better off letting their child come out on their own and be comfortable with it themselves, but I see it in the opposing light. If a parent knows that their child is gay, why not be there for them when you know they are dealing with a lot of issues emotionally? So much of their anxiety comes from their fear of being rejected from their parents, so why not help your child through this time, and express your support for them?

Another thing, after watching quite a few bullycide documentaries and stories, it seems outrageous how little the parents actually involved themselves with their kids being out publicly at a young age. I do not see complaining to school administration as being enough to help your child out when you know and see the torment and struggles he goes through. Why is not a change of school or a total relocation out of the picture? Is it not financially the best option for you? But in hindsight is that loss financially worth the loss of a child, I doubt it. What I am getting at, obviously, is parents need to be more involved with their children, whether or not met with resistance from their children.

When I finally did come out to my mom, her first response was "Do you think I'm blind?". But coming out to her was pretty tough: until I did so, she was the most blatantly verbal homophobe I'd ever met. Probably part of it was generational (she was a teen in the 50s) and part was undoubtedly cultural (she was a real-life prom queen, attending over a dozen, my dad was a quarterback in HS and college). And even though they were aware of homosexuals in society generally, realizing that their first-born (and only son) was gay must have been a kick in the teeth to them.

By the time I came out to them, I'd had years to condition them via my friends, my interests and activities. They stopped insisting that I play team sports and accepted my budding interest in theater at around the same time that I first started socializing with obviously (stereotypically) gay friends. So neither of them could claim any surprise (nor did they attempt to). And they were hard-core, John Birch Society reactionaries politically, so I didn't grow up in any hippy-dippy, love-you-anyway sort of environment. The one big thing I had on my side was their complete lack of religiosity: sin was never an issue.

One thing my mother said, either when I was telling her or a few days later, was that she found it sad that I was gay, because she felt that it was a solitary life and felt that I'd be lonely, especially as I got older. She couldn't contemplate a partnered lifestyle, or having a close circle of friends. And she was frequently critical of my choice of lovers, though she was always polite to their faces.

School was an issue for me, to a degree. The city I grew up in had two large HSs: North and South. All of my friends went to South, and I tried several times to get my parents to get me transferred, but they always refused, saying that transport would be an issue (I walked to North) and that I should make a greater effort to make friends at my school. Though I was bullied in Grammar and Junior High schools, by the time I got to HS (10th grade) I was pretty much a social pariah and ignored. I was well-known, but more as an untouchable than admired: I was a freak. My coming out was met with a vast, collective yawn. My coming out had made me, if anything even more of a freak.

On failure to have reasonable expectations, does anyone else also think that the media has contributed to this unrealistic expectations? A lot has been shown on TV/news on how easier it gets after coming out e.g. the It Gets Better project, rather than realistically depicting the actual situation? Coming out does make a lot of things better and more positive, but not without some negative effects. And being young, as phndoc mentioned the stress could be overwhelming.

I'll admit to a certain lack of knowledge regarding much of the contemporary media because I don't watch TV and haven't in years. But Dan Savage's It Gets Better program is definitely saving people's lives. Being a gay teen is one of the most stressful things a person can be, and any encouragement and compassion shown to them needs to be applauded.

Something rather similar happened to me in 8th grade, when I was still being bullied in Junior High. In a meeting with my guidance counselor, I confessed to having no friends at all (which was the truth). He looked at me with great compassion and empathy, in my opinion sensing that I was gay (without saying so), and nodded his head. "You probably will have a hard time making friends until you start college" was his reply.

To my 13-year old ears, that sounded like a life sentence of misery, but in hindsight was probably the best way of his saying that I just wasn't a good fit among my peers in that particular city. He was telling me that it really does get better, but that I'd need to go somewhere else to find it.

It was only by chance that, at 15, I found a group of kids on the other side of town who, if not gay or bi themselves, were at least completely comfortable with the concept. If I hadn't met and bonded with them, my entire youth would have been a very different (and much lonelier) place.

ggsitc

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I am 38 and have never officially come out. I am pretty sure my family knows by now but it is never discussed; Somewhere around age 35 they stopped asking me when I was going to get a girlfriend.

Not unlike my own situation, though I am a little older than this. Heck, my screen name is gay guy still in the closet, :wink:

But more seriously and on topic, it is definitely an individual case when it comes to the teens. I work in a high school and a few years ago one of the kids on the school newspaper (I am the advisor) wrote an article -- I can't even remember the topic of it now -- and in his first draft this kid came out. Now, he was somewhat of the stereotypical gay kid and I think most of the school assumed he was gay, but up to this point he had not officially come out. He was also only a 10th grader at this point. After reading the article, which he had dropped off at my office earlier in the day, I went and found him and pulled him aside. I told him that he was making a very big statement in that article and asked him if he realized what he was doing and if he thought of the possible ramifications of it. I also told him that I had no problem running the article with his statement in it, but I asked him in my most serious teacher voice if he had thought through was he was doing, and most importantly: did his family know?

He kind of blinked at that question, but went on to say that he figured "everyone already knew." I told him that there is a big difference between "everyone suspecting" vs. coming out and was he ready for that? I suggested that he think about it and get back to me, after saying again that I had no problem running his article as-is.

He came back to me a day or two later and had revised his article so that he didn't make his coming out statement in it. By the time this kid was a senior he was more out and even attended a couple of school events with his boyfriend (who went to a different school), but I think that he probably wasn't quite ready to come out two years earlier and hadn't initially considered the ramifications. He was a popular kid and hung out with a pretty nice circle of kids who obviously accepted him for what he was, so I think he had a good support group among his peers.

My point here, and I think an earlier poster said the same thing, is that some kids come out too soon, for whatever reason -- and the "too soon" being different for every individual. I think this particular student would have been one of them.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Not unlike my own situation, though I am a little older than this. Heck, my screen name is gay guy still in the closet, :wink:

But more seriously and on topic, it is definitely an individual case when it comes to the teens. I work in a high school and a few years ago one of the kids on the school newspaper (I am the advisor) wrote an article -- I can't even remember the topic of it now -- and in his first draft this kid came out. Now, he was somewhat of the stereotypical gay kid and I think most of the school assumed he was gay, but up to this point he had not officially come out. He was also only a 10th grader at this point. After reading the article, which he had dropped off at my office earlier in the day, I went and found him and pulled him aside. I told him that he was making a very big statement in that article and asked him if he realized what he was doing and if he thought of the possible ramifications of it. I also told him that I had no problem running the article with his statement in it, but I asked him in my most serious teacher voice if he had thought through was he was doing, and most importantly: did his family know?

He kind of blinked at that question, but went on to say that he figured "everyone already knew." I told him that there is a big difference between "everyone suspecting" vs. coming out and was he ready for that? I suggested that he think about it and get back to me, after saying again that I had no problem running his article as-is.

He came back to me a day or two later and had revised his article so that he didn't make his coming out statement in it. By the time this kid was a senior he was more out and even attended a couple of school events with his boyfriend (who went to a different school), but I think that he probably wasn't quite ready to come out two years earlier and hadn't initially considered the ramifications. He was a popular kid and hung out with a pretty nice circle of kids who obviously accepted him for what he was, so I think he had a good support group among his peers.

My point here, and I think an earlier poster said the same thing, is that some kids come out too soon, for whatever reason -- and the "too soon" being different for every individual. I think this particular student would have been one of them.

I think you are totally correct. There is definately a huge difference in figuring that everyone already knows and confirming it. I think some come out assuming that everyone will be accept them and they don't realize that even though society is much more accepting of homosexuality these days there are still many people out there who are very homophobic. Some of these kids are just not able to handle it when people they thought were their friends suddenly reject them (or worse) when they find out they are gay.

That kid was lucky you were there to talk to him.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Parental

I think and have always thought its the responsibility of the Parent to ensure there offspring are catered for.
In saying that i also state many parents are not able or in a position (usually mentally) to be of use.
Obviously many children are not going to have that confidence to broach there parents on such a topic..alone, so perhaps an intermediary, then again i feel social workers and the type can do even MORE damage
Good SW / many Bad SWs
an expectation that there children' carry on the line' is too often to the forefront, i feel. and perhaps one of the main dissapointments with some Parents when told of there childs gayness, at whatever age they may tell them.
I doubt the smartest brains in the world are going to be able to state a fair and decent age, when a child needs to tell there parent
Keeping in mind many of us ' dont know anyway' till much later in life, in the meantime we have needed to survive all the terrible adolescent years.

Have a strong suspicion possible rejection is the main reason why a child wont confide in there parent, and would rather take there life, than frontup to there maker
If you cant confide in the one you generally love the most, what other choice do you have
Friends are just that friends, brothers & sisters can be almost like friends?

As for the OPs wonderful thread quite simply i have never seen the need to come out' myself as such & at whatever age especially young, as stated above, if someone needed to know, then sure..but i am more than sure my Parents knew, brothers sisters and all others, they know
I give them credit for that and allowing me my privacy.
In saying that i have supported many Gay activities when i have been able to, so openess is there...Now that is.

krazyNupe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i agree...i also think that there needs to some kind of out reach inside these highs schools even if they have to put someone thats openly gay on the pay roll from an organiztion or group... or something.. not everyone can be strong enough to maintain..esp something you cant change

Last edited:

krazyNupe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i agree...i also think that there needs to some kind of out reach inside these highs schools even if they have to put someone thats openly gay on the pay roll from an organiztion or group... or something.. not everyone can be strong enough to maintain..esp something you cant change

I personally think 14 is still a little young! I feel at that age you're still exp[loring your sexuality. So it may be too soon to put a label on who or what you! I personally feel you need to be certain of who you are before you stand up an announce it!

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
But this was bullying not of gays but for other reasons, for being skinny or fat...or 4 eyes with glasses...or pigeon toed, wore braces on teeth, etc. Today the young people seem to turn the other way.

This is why I have crooked teeth. Back in 1987 I begged my parents to not make me get braces. The orthdontist wanted me to wear a head gear or these things called lip bumpers and I knew that wearing those damn things would make me a target. When I refused to go back to the Orthodontist my mother cried. She wanted her little boy to have beautiful straight teeth.

I was also really nearsighted but I never told my parents I couldn't see because I knew they would take me to the eye doctor and buy me glasses, and I didn't want to wear them. As a skinny, geeky, unathletic kid I mostly just tried to blend in and not attract too much attention.

chrispy

Expert Member
Media
New Bedford (Massachusetts, United States)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Last month, 14 year old Jamey Rodemeyer from Buffallo NY who identified himself as gay took away his own life. Last Saturday, Jamie Hubley, 15 did the same in Ottawa. Was it their decision on coming out at such young age has since affected their life, leading them to suicide?

Hundreds if not thousands of young kids today are coming out as a homosexual thinking that they are ready, when clearly they are not. At such young age, it is hard to believe that they have actually fully realize and aware of the repercussions of their actions. I am questioning, is it ALWAYS better for one to come out and openly embrace one's sexuality? Are there exceptional situations where being closeted is a better option?

Of course we can argue on how the society itself not being accepting, being discriminatory etc. but let's keep it in the perspective of the kid coming out him/herself. Being that young would they fully know what are they putting themselves into?

I did remember when I was 11, I'd feel 'something' whenever I notice another guy, but back then that feeling just went away and I'll just totally forget about it over soccer on evenings. I did not fully understand what sexual orientation really is. At that point, being a boy who likes other boys did not define me, I was still very much discovering myself. At most, I remembered feeling a lot confused. I was not sure of a lot of things at that time. But today, you can search up on YouTube kids as young as 11 making vlogs on coming out to the whole world.

I'd like to hear thoughts on these kids coming out of the closet at such young age, and maybe answer some of the questions above. Looking forward to a good, friendly discussion. :smile:

eddy -

Only Janey Rodemeyer, Jamie Hubley, and anyone of uncounted others can answer your question.

I was 15 years old when I first came out to some one (1975), a friend of mine. I was 21 when I came out to my mother, and nearly 23 when I came out to my older sister.

Coming out is not unlike being a recovering alcoholic: one day at a time. I have been coming out for more than 35 years now, and each time is more and more empowering. I have not read every post made to It Gets Better, and cannot speak to everyone's experience. I can say this, though: the real change is not external. . Every day, I discover unknown reservoirs of strength in myself. Each time I make it clear to someone that I am gay, I become more and more the person I want to be: a little braver, a little kinder, a little more sure. This is the message that needs to get out: we get better; we get stronger.

Thanks for letting this old queen babble on...

Red_Rebel

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Great topic.

I came out at 16 years of age and it was by accident. I left my Gay.com account open on our family computer and my older brother saw it and dragged my entire family to confront me with it (perfect timing too since it was Coming Out Day LOL). My family's very conservative and it took a long while till they tolerated the idea. It's been seven years and they're still getting used to it...that's probably why I'm glad that it happened earlier on.

I say, I didn't necessarily "come out" in my HS or rubbed my homosexuality in everyone's faces, but it was an obvious thing when people see me. With that in mind, no one gave me a hard time, you'll get a random ignorant comment here and there but again, in one ear-out the other.

I don't think there's a specific age that one HAS to come out. It all depends on their readiness and by that I mean they better know that they will have a strong support system or be able to grow a thick skin--after all, being openly gay can attract some unwanted attention.

But coming out was the best thing to happen to me, I feel like I don't need to live a secretive lifestyle and it definitely alleviated a lot of my stress and all the anger I've had towards myself. Some people got through a whole lifetime not coming out and lived happily with it and the same can be applied to those that did come out.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my 14y/o has friends who are openly gay. one who is incredibly camp and attention seeking.
they get a bit of a ribbing but no serious bullying, and they still have plenty of friends.
it depends a lot on where you are. reactions in my corner of rural england won't be the same as reactions in the bible belt.
i don't think there's a limit on how young is too young. it depends on the kid, their family, their environment. what's right for one isn't right for all.

school is cruel. kids get bullied to the point of suicide for a thousand different reasons. ginger hair, glasses, weight, parents, disability... the list goes on forever. the solution isn't to hide the victims.

ck85x65

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suspect many readers will be angry with me, but I believe this needs to be said. Why do so many people drag age into this kind of argument ? It's like we collectively look at a male as utterly innocent, ignorant, unknowing, and completely in the dark, until he turns a particular age and WHOOSH suddenly He Is A Man. And suddenly just KNOWS everything about sex, how his body works, the nature of love and lust, how to deal with others, how to consume alcohol, how to consume "recreational" drugs. This is kinda insane don't you think ?

In my lifetime I have consistently met individuals whose maturity or knowledge or sense of self, or understanding of their place within our society have NOTHING to do with their age or experiences at all. The senior executive who behaves like a spoiled brat, the woman who stays with an abusive husband out of "love", the young father who one day bolts from the home because the notion of responsibility for another human being scares him witless. Similarly, I have met 12 and fourteen year olds who are wise well beyond their years, who can understand elements of human behaviour and recognize character flaws in others that preclude them getting involved with them, be it sex, a relationship, any kind of longer-term commitment, etc. Yes, there are guys who experiment with their sexuality as soon as their organs develop to a certain point. There are also those who naiivite is breathtaking, self-destructive and dangerous.

My own belief is that each person is unique, they have their own timetable and level of comfort. They may be experimenting with their own sex, then with the opposite sex. They may be drinking or drugging until their curiosity is satisfied. Then, and only then do they start to feel comfortable with themselves and the person they are. I shudder to think how many gay kids go into mourning when they conclude that they are gay, and don't want to be. The reason for this is external --- a bullied, closeted, play-acted life where much is hidden in order to avoid getting hurt or killed.

Love is love. What are people so afraid of ?

Last edited: