Coming out stories/discrimination?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by aqoaqo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. aqoaqo

aqoaqo New Member

Albums:
    I have a question for gay guys and others who know someone in similar situation. How did you come out? What was it like coming out? Was it generally well received; any problems with family members or friends? I'm planning on coming out as soon as I move out of my parents house in a month. They're the conservative type, so I'm not too sure about revealing while living with them. Any stories or advise for doing so?

First main post too.

2. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Search for "coming out" and you'll find a few threads. True to the "S" in "LPSG", there's been some really good discussion on this very topic.

3. bdaddy

bdaddy New Member

Well, one thing you can be sure of, it is different for everyone. No person is it the same for. But telling your parents all depends on your relationship with them at this point. If it is good and you are close with them, the shock of it all will be somewhat less. So that depends on you and what you are comfortable with.
    As for me it was very difficult and it took a long time for the whole thing to really sink in with my parents. My father was an old cowboy and had a very difficult time dealing with the man on man thing. He never really understood it but after years of me just loving him the way I always had as my father, it became somewhat easier for him to deal with. My mother was just incrediable! Yes, it was hard for her to understand, but the woman was ammazing and still is. She has always loved my partners (one of 15 years, and now my current of 7years.
    The whole gay and coming out thing is just like any thing new and different, it just takes time, patience, and love. Don't try to push it in their faces, if it is respect you want, show them some respect in return. Just be honest with them, most people can handle the truth. Good Luck!
    Let me know what happens. bdaddy

4. aqoaqo

aqoaqo New Member

Albums:
    Thanks for your comments. My relationship is decent with my parents, but I still think given how they grew up that they're going to be completely shocked no matter what. So I want to wait until I have a buffer in between myself in them before I do (meaning, my own apartment).

Draft saved Draft deleted