Compassionate plea from Invisi.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
If you can't speak up for yourself at LPSG, you shouldnt be here posting at all. I'm all for defending someones position but i've not seen anything remotely rude or hateful towards DumbCow or Cinnamon.

I don't know anything about dumbcow because I haven't followed it but you HAVE to be kidding about no one being rude to Cinnamon! One particular person (not a 'regular') got completely on her case, in a very nasty way, and when she complained about it she did get quite a few responses saying "what do you expect, STFU" mainly, iirc, because they disagreed with her terminology (referring to the e-attack as a form of rape). She did get a hard time - I wouldn't say she got no support either, a lot of people were very supportive of her over that. I would also say that a couple of times when you've felt someone was on your back you've looked to your friends here for support, and found it - haven't you? And I wouldn't say that means you can't speak up for yourself nor defend your own position.

Having said all that I am mainly in agreement with you, Redser. This place is what it is - if you take seriously everything that goes on here you will end up in a straight jacket. This is not the real world - it is an internet forum. If a person finds that things here are making him/her feel bad then the solution is simple. Don't log on. If you can't ignore and don't want to expend your energies arguing, just don't come here. That is, in fact, what dumbcow decided to do for a while - and now he has decided to come back. I respect both decisions as being what was right for him at the time.

I think a lot of this discussion has to do with different people having different expectations and different ideas of what constitutes bullying. It would be lovely if we could all treat each other the way we would like to be treated ourselves, but that rarely happens anywhere in life. The best we can do is know what we mean, attempt to express it and, if that fails, move on without taking offense at our audience's failure to comprehend.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
^ Thanks to all my lovers :kiss: :wiggle: :hug:

I see nothing wrong with the dumbcow phenomenon now that I've had a chance to see something of how it works. I know little about the actual person and have not been involved with the various dumbcow posts, but it developed into something that was like a combination of DisneyWorldSpeak, Extreme Internet Projection, and Miss Congeniality At All Costs. Also somewhat like Mascots for Football Teams. I know of other internet characters on blogs who get more involved with their internet personas than they are in their own offline lives, much as extreme RPG players. One of these bloggers I collaborated with on a parody blog for a few months, until he told me he thought of us as 'married', and well, that was it: We weren't married, and we hadn't even talked on the telephone. He has continued to bug me as though we were having an affair for some 6 months, chasing me to other blogs if I wrote even a single comment, and calling me finally on the phone after I told him not to. He has slandered my actual publisher on a blog last week, called him a 'queen' to embarass me (this would be all right if my publisher was not married and a father and not gay), so that extreme internet involvement takes many forms.

This is all all right for those that use blogging and chat and internet forums for therapy, but it's not realistic that things will be perfect no matter how much people 'want things to be all nice', because you run into people anywhere and there is going to be conflict, and the tendency of many internet users of all kinds to hide behind the screen even has its limits.

The interesting thing about the dumbcow thing is that it reminds me of Donald Barthelme's old New Yorker story 'The Balloon', which is in the collection 'Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts', and this huge balloon phenomenen became 'anything and everything' for all who kept looking at it and musing on it, and thinking of it with wonder and reciprocal nurturing. So that many core members of LPSG have found something like salvation in dumbcow, or something related to it. Or at least the balloon metaphor seems more apt than the Colossal Dad for which the drinkers in Auden's 'Age of Anxiety' were searching.

Personally, I now address dumbcow just like any other character here when he brings up something I find interesting, but won't do the animal talk, viz., the 'grazing', 'alfalfa', 'milk', etc., but people find some meaning in this, that's hardly offensive. What is not reasonable is to carry it to the point of virtually demanding that 'everybody supports dumbcow'. You can never please all of the people all of the time. And questioning such things as this, as Mlle. Rouge has been doing, is not 'cunty', it's perfectly normal. Baby talk is perfectly okay, but it doesn't necessarily always get to dominate on a permanent basis.

I think some of you would be surprised that I do in fact post serious messages quite often. I have put many things in the incest threads and the like which contain no cow puns or smiley faces.
Most of the cow stuff goes on in the funny stuff section, where hardly any of the people who have not been nice are. As for the other sections, I usually post seriously, especially in the serious threads.

I know not to go into a rape thread and talk about how much I like rapeseed. However, if things get heated, on the verge of a slander match, I may choose to pitch in and post a :240:

I think becominghorse has the right idea, just because you don't like it when my writing is riddled with smiley faces does not mean that you should ignore me when I post something serious, which I do quite often.

Surely i'm in the majority when i say that i have no idea why these people left. There must be something going on in PMs or some other underworld and if thats the case- why bring it up on behalf of them as a plea to the board? Can't they bring this up all by themselves? Why do they need to have people fight their battles on here?

If you can't speak up for yourself at LPSG, you shouldnt be here posting at all. I'm all for defending someones position but i've not seen anything remotely rude or hateful towards DumbCow or Cinnamon.

I'm with a lot of people when i say that the animal puns are equivalent to baby talk on the way it grates on people. Sure, we do have the ignore button but i've just been skipping those responses a lot of times because i don't feel like putting someone on ignore because they might have something good to say at some point. Speaking of yourself in 3rd person or as an animal 98% of the time, when you post a lot, can be kind of off putting. That being said people really shouldnt be surprised that their approach might be offputting. Everything i say, i say I take responsibility that sometimes its not the popular opinion always, it might hurt someones feelings and it might not always go over well.

BH is right on when he said that his "shtick" has been working for him and not so much against him so either explain in detail whats been going on that the rest of us don't see but don't deal with it by telling everyone to walk on eggshells around people who fully know what kind of reaction their behavior might insue.

Cinnamon felt she had to leave, because it got to a point where she no longer enjoyed it on the boards because of what had gone on in PMs.

I've said it before - I've seen things about me that I know others will not, and they hurt. Just because people don't go into ask a cow and ask me why I am such a *insert insult here* does not mean that they don't do it elsewhere.

Talking about fetish sex topics that might be offensive is apples and oranges about how someone having innocent thoughts about how people could possibly be annoyed by him and his cowtalk. This post isnt about me, if i left the site and someone started a thread about poor little ol' me it would be an open door invited people to come into the thread and talk about what the issues are. He doesnt want the conversations about him to stop. He's good friends with Mandee the biggest drama queen on the planet, they are a good pair.

I refuse to see this as DumbCow the innocent guy who has no clue about all of this. He doesnt seem to deal with his own problems. This was the content of my message.

There are a lot of very mature people here who wouldnt baby talk their spouse, so they don't think its cute or funny. Sorry some people don't participate in it or feel sorry for him if people get annoyed at him.

I do try to understand, rouge. I know some can't stand it when I type "mooove to the moooosic" because they feel above it. I'm not changing my ways because a group of people want me to. But if someone doesn't like my light-heartedness they can still aknowledge my more serious posts.

I don't know anything about dumbcow because I haven't followed it but you HAVE to be kidding about no one being rude to Cinnamon! One particular person (not a 'regular') got completely on her case, in a very nasty way, and when she complained about it she did get quite a few responses saying "what do you expect, STFU" mainly, iirc, because they disagreed with her terminology (referring to the e-attack as a form of rape). She did get a hard time - I wouldn't say she got no support either, a lot of people were very supportive of her over that. I would also say that a couple of times when you've felt someone was on your back you've looked to your friends here for support, and found it - haven't you? And I wouldn't say that means you can't speak up for yourself nor defend your own position.

Having said all that I am mainly in agreement with you, Redser. This place is what it is - if you take seriously everything that goes on here you will end up in a straight jacket. This is not the real world - it is an internet forum. If a person finds that things here are making him/her feel bad then the solution is simple. Don't log on. If you can't ignore and don't want to expend your energies arguing, just don't come here. That is, in fact, what dumbcow decided to do for a while - and now he has decided to come back. I respect both decisions as being what was right for him at the time.

I think a lot of this discussion has to do with different people having different expectations and different ideas of what constitutes bullying. It would be lovely if we could all treat each other the way we would like to be treated ourselves, but that rarely happens anywhere in life. The best we can do is know what we mean, attempt to express it and, if that fails, move on without taking offense at our audience's failure to comprehend.

Thank you, manly. I know the more stubborn probably will never like any side of me, but I hope they try to open their minds to my true intentions, which are not bad. I'm honestly a nice guy, not a troll. This hatred spawned from one thing which I've atempted to explain, and they started nit-picking at petty things and saying that any qualities I have which they don't have must be wrong.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've said it before - I've seen things about me that I know others will not, and they hurt. Just because people don't go into ask a cow and ask me why I am such a *insert insult here* does not mean that they don't do it elsewhere.

I do try to understand, rouge. I know some can't stand it when I type "mooove to the moooosic" because they feel above it. I'm not changing my ways because a group of people want me to. But if someone doesn't like my light-heartedness they can still aknowledge my more serious posts.

I know the more stubborn probably will never like any side of me, but I hope they try to open their minds to my true intentions, which are not bad. I'm honestly a nice guy, not a troll. This hatred spawned from one thing which I've atempted to explain, and they started nit-picking at petty things and saying that any qualities I have which they don't have must be wrong.

Yeah, and those nitpickers never realize that they may have things that people can nitpick on them just as easy.

We all can get honest and deal with our idiosyncracies.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media

what she said.

And I'm not going to comment that observation (that Cinnamon wasn't villified on here) is coming from one that was upset enough to bail on this forum and return. Sorry I just have a hard time with the whole "if you cannot defend yourself, you shouldn't be here nonsense" from someone that has been fed up enough to write their own goodbye thread. What I read about Cinnamon from other WOMEN on here was apalling. I regret not responding about it then.

Rubenesque

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To the ones who are giving DUMBCOW a hard time, please leave him be.
If he is irking you, leave him be. I'd like for the cow to graze in LPSG fields for a while.

DUMBCOW didn't cause the OPEC to raise gas prices worldwide. DUMBCOW wasn't the one who brought the World Trade Center Towers down on September 11. DUMBCOW wasn't the cause of you losing your job. DUMBCOW wasn't sleeping with your significant other.

Thank you, darlings.

I just want to be clear.... did dumbcow ever stand on a grassy knoll in Dallas?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I hear Cinnamon is doing fine and busy living her life and very happy.

That doesn't do us any good, those that miss her insightful, sweet posts. Glad to hear she's doing well but that doesn't make us miss her any less, there's a small hole in JUB that I think will be longstaning to be filled. She was irreplaceable.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That doesn't do us any good, those that miss her insightful, sweet posts. Glad to hear she's doing well but that doesn't make us miss her any less, there's a small hole in JUB that I think will be longstaning to be filled. She was irreplaceable.
Yes that is true. However it is nice to hear she is doing well.