Competition?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Style or Substance thread and HOTMILF's exit interview brought out a question to me. Is there really a great deal of competition for dominance here on the LPSG board? Between women? Between Men? Between Gender? If so do you feel it is blatant or how does it manifest itself in your eyes? What do you think?

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can only speak for myself, but I am not here to compete with anyone. I am here because I like to voice my opinion and interact with others. I don't feel a need to compete...I am who I am, you either like me or you don't. I don't care if people agree with me (although it's nice), but just show me respect, I think that is the most important thing.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is an intersting question. I see it like this. Just as prostituion is the world's oldest profession, dominance is the internet's second oldest desire. A great deal of us on the internet who have been here for a long time understand that popularity and dominance on the internet is just as believable as Al Gore single handedly creating it.

There are lot's of people in the world craving dominance, popularity, acceptance, etc. The internet has opened up a brave new frontier for this. The forum boards give people an outlet or should I say feeding ground to manifest these desires. Everytime I see a "who is the best, sexiest, most hung, biggest boobed, etc." post go up, the game is on and the people craving these desires come out in force.

Do I think this struggle exists in LPSG? Yes, but mainly amongst the trolls.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Style or Substance thread and HOTMILF's exit interview brought out a question to me. Is there really a great deal of competition for dominance here on the LPSG board? Between women? Between Men? Between Gender? If so do you feel it is blatant or how does it manifest itself in your eyes? What do you think?

It exists here, and like others have said, it's worse among the trolls.
However, it isn't exclusive to the trolls. There is some gender struggle here, and some between gay & straight. I guess this is pretty par for a mixture like we have here. Although, some on here are downright hateful and hurtful.
It's no worse here than on other forums, and not as bad as some.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I don't think there is a dominance thing per-say. There is a competition it seems to be the most adored. Posting threads asking for people to check out pics and stuff.. All for show.

B_4inches

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is most definetly a pecking order on this webiste. From my persepctive I see a lot of the respect and popularity some enjoy on here as nothing more than celebrating mediocrity. There are honestly very very few people here I would say I respect but I see all sorts of adulations thrown at people when they really havent done anything and than you get a bunch of posts saying how its what inside that counts or I appreciate the entire package and not just thier whatever but at the same time I'll see some guys or gals on here get away with a hell of a lot of nastiness and rudeness and have just about everyone on the site overlook it becuase of the hot pictures they posted. There are times when Im reading posts on this site and its no differant than highschool.

I also very rarely see anything resembling good advice for living ones life here. Ive never been a subscriber to the anything goes lifestyle and I understand how doing things just to make yourself happy is atractive but more and more Im seeing people go out of thier way to give that desire some noble quality. When my life is shitty, and most days it is, I dont go out looking for the affections of some hot chick or something else entirely self serving, I think about how I can do better since the last thing I want to do is become anything like the things that are making me unhappy.

This all may not seem like it has anything to do with the OPs question but a lot of things people do, especially online are designed to gain the attention of others. Now I like attention, espescially from certain types of people, but the lengths I go to get that attention say more about me then them. And what really sucks is when you say this persons attention is more valuable to me than this guys so Im gonna go more out of my way to gain it from this person. Thats what you see here and so many other places in life. Lord knows when and if I have kids Im going to teach them the importance of prefering others rather than themselves and to not pay so much attention to thier egos :)

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
While I don't feel this way, there are quite a few people who are jealous, competitive and insecure; they're not as good at hiding it as they think.

I'd say the only people who see there being a real pecking order are the same ones who wish to be higher up in said pecking order. People should just post, reply and converse. Some members will get mroe attention, some will garner more responses - there's nothing wrong with that.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sure there is. The most obvious and obnoxious manifestation of it I see is when a long term member rubs their length of membership or post count in the face of a newer member instead of addressing the actual topic of discussion.

To me it reads as, "I'm better than you and I just wanted to take a moment to remind everyone of that fact".

One poster may be better known than another but it certainly doesn't make them better.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that the perception that some people can dominate a board is one that's mostly felt by people who feel they don't fit into some sort of clique or an argument that's used by trolls to justify their trollism. If you're a regular on the board people might feel you somehow dominate but that's only because they're used to seeing your name a lot, the net is mostly full of strangers communicating with other strangers so the idea that there's a clique is quite silly really. A lot of people mention they feel ignored, and that somehow that means they're not part of this clique, but we all feel what we've said is ignored from time to time, it's all part of being on the net, we're on here to run our mouths off, we have a captive audience, but it's an audience that's composed of strangers and there isn't any real clique or real dominators. Some people do get carried away with the idea that there's group which they're an inviolable part of this, but no one's indispensible and if someone gets swollen with the idea they're the dominating force behind a site they soon get disabused of the idea.

B_Bette

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The Style or Substance thread and HOTMILF's exit interview

I'm not hooked in enough/here enough to have a cue what you're talking about.

However, if people come to any given internet message board and become easily irritated, or leave in a huff (for whatever reason...buttons pushed. they take themselves too seriously, etc) they simply need to get a real life. Maybe a step or two, or twelve, away from the computer is exactly what they need.

As for the rest of it...attention whores and those who dominate any thread they did not themselves begin simply have some desperation lurking inside. You either ignore them or not.

B_Swimming Lad

Experimental Member
Media
I don't know that there is a race for dominance as such, but I definately sense a hierarchy of members. There are afew obvious ones that jump out to me that people feel they have to be associated with to be accepted (Monster, Burnside etc...). Some others who have gained massive amounts of repect in other ways too (SP & Osiris etc...) and then there are the rest of us on the outskirts.

I don't know (or care really) if anyone else feels the same. This is just my view...

D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Experimental Member
Media
In any social situation, it's only natural for certain members to stand out. Whether or not it's justified is another story. The fundemental problem with the internet is that anybody can be anybody. In the real world, I'm sure half the members here would be standing in a corner all alone. On the faceless internet, however, you can be a rockstar as long as there are people willing to buy into your bullshit. My advice is to remain skeptical of the various claims to fame members make and recognize that this site is only as real as you make it.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Style or Substance thread and HOTMILF's exit interview brought out a question to me. Is there really a great deal of competition for dominance here on the LPSG board? Not by me, I don't have a competitive bone in my body. There have been times in my life where I would have liked to have been more competitive though. :rolleyes: Between women? Between Men? Between Gender? If so do you feel it is blatant or how does it manifest itself in your eyes? What do you think?
I've only been here a year but I have often felt like I was on the outside looking in, when in Chat. That seems to be the thing most newbies complain about.
There are two small circles of rather bitchy queens who like to reign supreme in chat. One is a mysogynist, the other thankfully has a brain. :wink:

While I don't feel this way, there are quite a few people who are jealous, competitive and insecure; they're not as good at hiding it as they think. They rarely are.
I'd say the only people who see there being a real pecking order are the same ones who wish to be higher up in said pecking order. Agreed. People should just post, reply and converse. Some members will get more attention, some will garner more responses - there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm jealous that you found a goddess online and she found you. Lucky rat. :biggrin1:
Don't get me started! :rolleyes::tongue: Hey you had a gorgeous goddess of your own long before you came to LPSG . . .

I think that the perception that some people can dominate a board is one that's mostly felt by people who feel they don't fit into some sort of clique or an argument that's used by trolls to justify their trollism. I have noticed this as well. If you're a regular on the board people might feel you somehow dominate but that's only because they're used to seeing your name a lot, the net is mostly full of strangers communicating with other strangers so the idea that there's a clique is quite silly really. I agree. A lot of people mention they feel ignored, and that somehow that means they're not part of this clique, but we all feel what we've said is ignored from time to time, it's all part of being on the net, we're on here to run our mouths off, we have a captive audience, but it's an audience that's composed of strangers and there isn't any real clique or real dominators. Some people do get carried away with the idea that there's group which they're an inviolable part of this, but no one's indispensible and if someone gets swollen with the idea they're the dominating force behind a site they soon get disabused of the idea.
True but it's not often soon enough for my liking. :biggrin1:

In any social situation, it's only natural for certain members to stand out. Whether or not it's justified is another story. :rolleyes: The fundemental problem with the internet is that anybody can be anybody. Not only that but they often choose to be quite obnoxious online.:rolleyes:In the real world, I'm sure half the members here would be standing in a corner all alone. Not me, I am quite skilled at working a room. It's part of being a good hostess and something my mom taught me was important when I was quite young. :smile: On the faceless internet, however, you can be a rockstar as long as there are people willing to buy into your bullshit. My advice is to remain skeptical of the various claims to fame members make and recognize that this site is only as real as you make it.
ahh theres the rub.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Because of the nature of this site there is somewhat of a Competition going on and its only natural. I dont think its a bad thing at all. Some very good points made by other members.

I don't perceive a competition so much as an initiatory period.

In any social situation where one wishes to be accepted, some amount of conformity to suit the establishment is required. The thing is, here I couldn't tell you what it is. Post intelligently, politely, discuss with reason and respect, be honest, and you're good to go. That does not require much competition unless it be with one's own wits. Make enough good posts and people will start to notice and then make a point to read what you write.

So many people come and go, trolling or just being stupid that it's difficult to know who is going to stay around. Perhaps that's where the newbies feel excluded? You won't get as much attention until the regular posters think you're going to stay around and don't have some ulterior agenda.

I think this was exemplified by Swimming Lad who had something of a baptism by fire. While I'm sure it didn't hurt that he turned out to be far better looking than his fake pics, it was his character, admitting the fakes, apologizing, and staying, that won him notice and respect.