Compliments from Strangers on the Street

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, recently when I was walking to meet my sister in NYC from my apartment for lunch I had a man, maybe 10 years older than me, stop on the street and compliment me. It wasn't the first time it's happened but I'm always surprised when it does.

On this occasion all I was wearing was jeans, a t-shirt and a cardigan. Hardly anything to comment on.

Has anyone had this happen to you?

He was so polite that I wasn't offended more so embarrassed though.

Last edited:

D_Polly Polygons

Just Browsing
Media
I was in a museum giftshop and saw a man pass the window and stop. I assumed he saw a postcard he liked. He walked into the shop and started complimenting me and asking if I would allow him to paint me and how his apt was only a few blocks up. To prove he wasnt crazy he was going to go bring paintings from his place so I could see them.
I dug out of there as soon as he was out of sight. flattering but effing skeezy.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oddly this happens to me if I'm groomed and dressed to the nines or unwashed have not shaved and wearing sweats! Different strokes for different folks but I'll take a compliment anytime I can get one! Part of the magic of NYC though is once Anna Wintour stopped me and told me she loved my ensemble.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
what did he compliment you on? (clothes, face, body, other...?) my guess is your pretty hair or rack :biggrin1:

yeah, it's happened to me. it's a somewhat regular thing but i attribute it (the regularity) to making eye contact and smiling a lot (on my part).

today it was my outfit. when i stopped to get a cup of coffee in the morning before work i smiled at a man getting doughnuts and on my way out he says to me, "Nice boots!" and he smiled really big. i thought that was nice. he was probably older than me, i think.

last week i was told by a very young-looking fellow at a book store i had a beautiful smile. but here's the thing: i was hanging near the shelves he was at trying to get near some selections he was blocking...i pretended to be interested in other titles nearby in order to not be rude and flat out ask him to get out the way. i glanced his way a few times (to see if he was not blocking anymore), he caught me once or twice and i smiled in a friendly fashion and looked away. eventually he shifted and i was able to reach for a book i was interested in, as i did so i must have looked in his direction because that's when he caught my eye, smiled, and said i had a beautiful smile.

i think it's sweet when it's genuine, and i try to give back where i can by complimenting folks when the fancy strikes me sincerely.

Oddly this happens to me if I'm groomed and dressed to the nines or unwashed have not shaved and wearing sweats! Different strokes for different folks but I'll take a compliment anytime I can get one! Part of the magic of NYC though is once Anna Wintour stopped me and told me she loved my ensemble.

anna wintour!! :eek: but i always knew you were the epitome of style and grace, nudie. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media
why would you ladies feel embarrassed?if someone thinks you look good to them,feel good about it.that's what compliments are for.
and i thought the ladies on this thread liked a guy who wasn't shy or afraid to speak to women.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Seriously, I would love to receive more compliments! I only get hit on by old men and creepers :(
Basically older men know they have almost no shot so there is no pressure and no need to worry if the girl doesn't like it.

Also as you get older you tend to not give a damn what other people think so it gives you a freedom that younger guys don't have.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sounds wonderful, perhaps he is a determined soul who wants to start his own & others New Year off to a wonderful start Fleur

So NICE to hear, especially when we always hear of all the Violence and Bad things happening in America

Thanks for sharing that
enz

DeeDee36dd

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On the weekends, I enjoy dressing wearing sexy clothing. I'm not trying to brag, but I get quite a few compliments and get hit on (especially at the clubs). I also get hit on quite often when shopping for groceries especially by younger guys. Is that the new pick up spot?
I'm over 40, so I have to admit that it is very flattering, especially when it's a guy young enough to be my son! I'm realistic enough to know that they are not interested in anything long term. But the attention is fun...:smile:

D_Barbi_Dahl

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not trying to be braggy...but that happens to me often. Primarily the compliments are about my hair, the way I smell (the perfume/lotion I'm wearing), my eyes and my ass. The hair compliments come from men and women.

irox19

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I get compliments quite often...a top, scarf, shoes, smile, makeup, smell, different things on different days. I think it's mainly because I am really friendly and like smiling/making eye contact with everyone I see. Sometimes some creeps will make remarks about my ass or make some sort of piggish sound like, "mmm mmm"...those I ignore.

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
what did he compliment you on? (clothes, face, body, other...?) my guess is your pretty hair or rack :biggrin1:

It was just a general comment that I looked nice. And he smiled at me and I smiled back. He actually stopped on the street to tell me. I did notice he had stared at my hair and my chest though. :)

It wasn't creepy at all, I was just embarrassed and kept walking since I didn't want to be late to see my sister.

DeeDee36dd

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with one of the previous posters. I think because I'm friendly that I seem approachable. My husband sometimes thinks I'm too friendly, but even though I enjoy the compliments, I'm not trying to flirt (at least I don't think I am ?!?).

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The one I remember best happened when I was in the UK. I was looking at some books in a market when this guy put his arm around me and said 'You're beautiful, darling'. Could have been creepy, but totally wasn't. In fact, I was so emotional and homesick at the time that it nearly made me cry. i wish I could thank that stranger for cheering up an otherwise miserable day.

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Aww, subgirrl. I don't know what it is about European men, but when I lived in the UK, I had several days where I was homesick and for some reason that was always when I'd be complimented.

I frequently had a Greek guy who would walk me home and the Scottish men I'd run into were always so polite in Edinburgh. I had an Australian guy in my graduate program who was always very sweet to me even on days when I thought I looked terrible. He actually baked me a cake on my birthday. I was very recently single so kind of in the dumps and it seriously cheered me up. He even made my favorite.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Aww, subgirrl. I don't know what it is about European men, but when I lived in the UK, I had several days where I was homesick and for some reason that was always when I'd be complimented.

I frequently had a Greek guy who would walk me home and the Scottish men I'd run into were always so polite in Edinburgh. I had an Australian guy in my graduate program who was always very sweet to me even on days when I thought I looked terrible. He actually baked me a cake on my birthday. I was very recently single so kind of in the dumps and it seriously cheered me up. He even made my favorite.

It sounds like you found some really lovely guys :smile:. It's funny how so many women remember the times when guys are bastards but forget about all the times when they're being wonderful.

And I was thinking, maybe the guys aren't more likely to compliment us when we're feeling bad, maybe we are just more likely to notice it then.