Compulsive Liars

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Pene_Negro_Grande, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

This is something that a couple of friends and I were talking about last night...We have a friend who exagerrates everything he tells us - I mean it could be the smallest things that you don't even need to lie about...He is always talking about multi-million dollar development deals that he is closing...I mean my friends and I were talking about going to London this year - and the first thing he says is my parents have a flat there - I will go too and you guys can stay w/me for free...And when my other friend was talking about that we should go to Amsterdam too and that he had went twice before - the compulsive liar guy stated I have to Amsterdam 27 times...Don't get me wrong - the compulsive guy is a very nice friend and would give you the shirt off his back - but I hate introducing him to other people I know because it is embarrassing when he starts up...Also there is a little truth in the lies he tells - I mean his dad owns a real estate development company which I am sure does decent - not the $100 mil a year my friend says (and also my friend says it is his company and not his dad's)...A couple of us have said something to him because we have know this guy for years - and he has told them that he knows he has a problem and can not help it...One of our friends in our group is a psychiatrist and she said that it is a real disorder so I am trying to be understanding...And my friend was telling me and his wife which put it in perspective - his lies are not malicous and he would give you the shirt off his back...Does anyone else know anyone like that - just curious since I am trying to understand this disorder and not loose a friend because I get annoyed or embarrassed...

2. jeepwranglerboi

jeepwranglerboi New Member

I know someone exactly like that. I love him to death but he lies so much that you pretty much cannot believe a word he says. When I've asked him why he lies he says that he doesn't know why, it just happens. It is definitely a horrible disorder than can cause a loss of friendship. My friend says that he is making a conscious effort to work on it though, so we'll see. Best of luck to you.

3. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Yeah my friend is definitely like that...You don't know what to believe - I mean I use to call him on the lies - one time when I mentioned I wanted to get a new gym membership - he was like come to LA Fitness and I will put you down under my company membership ($25/mo w/no initiation fee)...I called his bluff and met him at the gym - I ended up getting $34/mo and the had a $79 initiation fee - which he paid for lying...I felt bad about it but it didn't seem to phase him even when I caught him at that lie...Strange disorder - you don't know what is true or not w/him because at least 50% of the lie is partly true...

4. Imported

Gold Member

Sweet Caroline: Everything I've typed here is a lie.

5. SizeQueenMichelle

SizeQueenMichelle New Member

Most guys are compulsive liars, especially a decent number on this board.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

You're lying!

7. Imported

Gold Member

Sweet Caroline:
    You're lying!
    [post=282323]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

But, if I'm lying, then.....

8. jonb

Gold Member

This post contains one false statement.

9. naughty

Gold Member

Pene,

it sounds like your friend suffers from extremely low self esteem. He has built his life around lies and probably wouldnt even if he could at this point know how to get out of the habit. He may even in some part of his mind believe them to be so. Encourage him to seek help .Lying can really only further isolate him as well as get him into a world of trouble with the wrong person.

Naughty

10. txquis

Gold Member

I do know some liars.
    There is a friend in my NYC group who always gives himself credentials
    in the theater that he just doesnt have...
    He will even approach theater celebs and say that he worked with them.
    That is how he got to meet Eartha Kitt.

That kind of thing is amusing, but of course there are other liar stories:

The worst was a poor guy in NYC....said his name was Brandon,
    he was 34..and still very boyish, "swimmers build".

The truth: 53....not named brandon, grey headed...and wasting away.
    yikes yikes yikes.

Sometimes i worry about the LPSG-ers, too.
    :(
    But, its ok....
    i sometimes think i would rather have my dream of who they are rather than
    the truth LOL

11. Imported

Gold Member

carolinacurious: This probably isn't what you want to hear but it's my experience. Years ago I had a serious relationship with a girl who was a compulsive liar. By the time I started to figure out something was wrong I was deep in love and tried to work with it. To this day I can't really say that I understand it but I sure couldn't understand it then. With most people if they apologize and say they won't do something again I'm inclined to believe them, plus it was always over stupid shit, there was generally some sort of excuse, and her family would even help cover for her (really fucking twisted).

I don't think any of her lies were ever initially intended to be malicious but they would build on each other and the deceit would get larger and larger and things would eventually blow up in spectacular fashion. She was the single most destructive force I've ever encountered (and I've known more than my fair share of wing nuts). I'll never go down that road again for anyone.

Anyway, I hope things work out better for you and your friend, you have the advantage of not being blinded by love and having a friend who's a psychiatrist and hopefully not having the psycho family that she had. As far as I know compulsive lying isn't really a disease in itself but usually a symptom of something bigger. Good luck and be prepared to run like hell.

12. Imported

Gold Member

SL55///AMG: Yeah I just finished dealing with an idiot like that today... stole 1500 dollars.,.. and lies about having work to pay me off. Pretty soon we are going to be giving hiim the vise grip/tooth treatment, if that doesnt work, then I am going to take a blow torch to his feet, if that doesnt work, Im hooking electrodes to his nuts.

13. jonb

Gold Member

But, if I'm lying, then.....
    [post=282331]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    Thankfully, my computer now has a new paradox-proof firewall.

14. Donk

Donk New Member

Yes, I have known 2 people like this in my lifetime. It is very weird and unsettling because they will lie about random things for no apparent reason whatsoever. And you get this sense that they're not even aware they're lying. It's like they live in this alternative universe where, to them, everything is really true, regardless how contradictory or ridiculous. It is very frustrating maintaining a friendship with such a person.

15. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Oh damn! Am I living a lie, too? lol :ninja:

16. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Yeah I think the guy is cool but now I try to keep him more as an associate because I it is somewhat of a disorder for him but I really don't want to put myself in the situation that I really concerned about something he is lying about and like I said it is embarrassing...

Draft saved Draft deleted