"Under the Identity Cards Act of 2006 the cards are voluntary -- but will be automatically issued alongside passports. Compulsion for all would be introduced at a later stage, and only with new legislation. Under the plans, British citizens will be put on the new National Identity Register database and issued with an ID card containing an electronic image of their photo and fingerprints when they apply for a passport. Over 10 years the government calculates that 80 percent of the population would acquire an ID card through passport applications and renewals." But to force the remaining 20 percent of people to register for ID cards will require the introduction of new legislation making the cards compulsory for all aged 16 and over." Clegg sees ID card vote "a decade away" - Yahoo! News UK I'm unconvinced these are much more than a waste of money. Civil liberties aside.