Computer Monitor Software

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mephistopheles, Sep 19, 2006.

1. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I recently bought a Radeon X1600 Pro Sapphire Video Card and I nstalled some software that allowed me to stretch my desktop between two monitors. Its very cool and handy.

Though just after I learned how to properly use it I hadta restore my computer(completely wipe everythig from the hdd) So I lost the software on my computer. I am not a very well organized person, so needless to say I lost the software disc I got with my video card.

Does anyone know what software Im talking about? And If so can you gimme a little linky, or at least the name of said software!?

Thanks in Advanced,

Josh Dodson

2. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

3. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well I tried that, but there are about 1000 different types of software, and there is only a certain kinda that works on my pc... C'mon I know to check the website for drivers, thats really too rudiment.

I just dont know which one to Download!

4. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Why do you say so? I have an nvidia graphics card. The nvidia driver runs the graphics card no matter what computer I put it in. Unless, I'm dumb and ATI is fundamentally different.

Download the driver and install it, then you have to configure it to use both monitors.

5. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well its not the driver for the video card, its a completely different type of software completely

6. tallguypns

Gold Member

Albums:
    And once again, this Mac user just has to sit back and smile.:smile:

7. Mumzi

Mumzi New Member

This guy has a radio show out here (and great podcasts) he seems to know a lot of advanced techie stuff. http://leoville.com/

8. dong20

Gold Member

9. transformer_99

Gold Member

Yeah, it's called Windows XP. You don't even need ATi's Catalyst drivers and Hydravision. If you want to load 300MB's of memory go ahead and use it, but Windows XP is already set up to handle this without using 3rd party drivers and software applications. I use ATi video cards, I think it sucks to install and uninstall the driver every time you update them. ATi upgrades drivers every month and the tweaks are negligible enhancements for the most part.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/twomonitors.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/northrup_multimon.mspx

"And once again, this Mac user just has to sit back and smile." :smile:

Just because the interface for OS X can be simpler, doesn't mean OS X is superior in some regards. There's a reason Microsoft has more controls and switches in it's gui, you actually can control more features in Windows. BTW, Apple's use ATi's, so it's not like Job's has put anything unique in your computer. I just thought it hillarious over the years, every other word out of the man's mouth was that Apple hardware was superior/faster across the board to PC's, then behind closed doors, he collaborated with Intel, ported OS X to x86 hardware and all of a sudden those hyped faster G4's & G5's are beaten by as much as 5+ times the speed with Intel PC hardware. Somebody must've lied to us ?

10. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
  11. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually the Hydravision and drivers come bundled with even more ATI shit, it's a whole suite of crap that was on the DVD that came with your card. NVIDIA is the leader in multi monitor displays. ATI has usually faster RAMDAC's and beats NVIDIA in benchmark scores, but NVIDIA software and drivers are much more flexible and productive. Transformer99 above me, was right in saying that the drivers that ATI puts out five or six times a year are bogus. Just use the one that you installed in the first place.

12. transformer_99

Gold Member

You don't know how many times I downloaded MB's of the latest drivers, had to use the uninstaller and then reboot and install new driver package to get a feature or two more, or a tweak that was supposed to get a fps more on any given game. I appreciate ATi or anyone for that matter developing drivers and improving them, but sometimes a driver update results in poorer performance for the sake of a fix or added feature. That is for the new feature to be stable, the settings have to be tweaked and often times this results in a detuned specification in the code. I have a tool that allows for overclocking the video card and with different catalyst drivers, you can actually measure where the overclock stability has degraded. AMD has just bought out ATi, so perhaps there's inprovements forthcoming. I wonder how this will effect their relationship with nvidia, since the motherboard chipsets that run the best with AMD cpu's are the nvidia chipsets.

13. tallguypns

Gold Member

Albums:
    I smile because mac's just WORK. And you know why intel hardware is 5 times faster? It's because it's got 4 chips in it versus two.

14. NovaBone

NovaBone New Member

Hey Tallguy,
    I'm sittin back and smiling as well.
    This is kinda like the Mac commercials on TV -- eh?

15. transformer_99

Gold Member

Where do you get that idea from ? We'll take the dual core G5 vs the dual core Xeon's, both have 2 cpu's inside the box, each cpu has 2 cores. The G5's run @ 2.53 Ghz, the Xeon's run @ 2.66 Ghz. Pretty even comparison, yet per Apple's website, performance is 1.3 to 1.8 times faster with Intel hardware clocked between 2.66 and 3.0 Ghz.

The Powerbooks are a slightly different story, G4 has a single core cpu, the MacBook Pro's a dual core, even if that logic held true, 2 times faster is about all one would expect Intel hardware to be faster than G4 technology. But again per Apple's website the increase in performance is 5.1 to 5.5 times better than the G4.

Yes, Apple's just work, now they work better because of PC hardware as the guts and innovation. IBM was able to dual core a G5 in a desktop, there's no way that would ever work in the power and ibooks. That's why Apple switched to Intel. They got an instant speed boost, not to mention cost savings. IBM and Freescale didn't drive each other innovatively like Intel and AMD have. The reason the PowerMac uses Xeon's, is that the dual cores that Intel makes for it's desktop and notebooks are still 32 bit and Apple needed 64 bit cpu's, which the G5's were. And you'll notice Job's doesn't boast that in the MacBook Pro writeups. AMD is the only chip maker with dual core availability from mobile to server applications, even their budget chip, the Sempron, is 64 bit.

I recall Job's announcing the switch to Intel, he told the world nobody cared what was in the box and even about 64 bit computers. This was shortly after both AMD and Intel had introduced their first dual core chips. Job's makes a lot of people laugh when he talks, a true neo-luddite in an industry that has no use for those who hold those beliefs.

16. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Transformer99, I am going to direct all of my tech questions towards you from now on... you probably are the techiest member here. Kudos to your knowledge level and attention to details, you must have worked your ass off to discover and retain all of that shit! Excellent Sir! That was a wierd thread a while back with you and some other people going at it, but all saying basically the same thing... strange.

Draft saved Draft deleted