Computer/RAM Thread!

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Help.

I got some 512MB RAM today. Whenever I fit it in, the monitor doesn't come on. I think this is because it won't fit properly. Like a large penis in a tiny vagina...the clips its supposed to go on either don't fit or if I do force them, the clips come out.

Luckily I can fit the clips back...the 256 that came with the PC still fits and I can take that in and out just fine. Did I get the wrong kind of RAM? :(

It seems like tis maybe a few mm to big or bigger than the other RAM thats in there...its 512 DDR and the other is 256 DDR although I think there could be a slight difference in something like the pins or some other techincal thing.

Anyway...what to do...should I keep trying or will it just not work? The 'good RAM' (256) fits perfectly and both clips clip as soon as theyre supposed to, making a perfect fit. I can only get one clip to work with the 512 though.

Can someone help? :)

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wonderboy--you purchased a RAM that is not compatiable with your CPU. Not all sticks of ram will fit all machines. Years ago, a friend gave me a stick of RAM thinking I could put it in my Gateway and it did not fit.

You need to look into the specifications of your CPU and match the RAM.

RAM.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Have a look at the 256 RAM stick you have in you PC. It should have a sticky (or other type) label on it which identifies it. You must replace it or add to it with another stick that has the identical info except for the amount of memory (such as the 512 you mentioned.)

For example, my old PC had "256MB PC100 SDRAM 64x64 168 Pin DIMM" on the memory's label. The new memory would have exactly the same information except it would say "512MB" instead of 256.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SDRAM comes in two type of physical layouts. There are either two notches or one notch, look carefully at both RAM modules to see if this is the case (one is the old style the other is the current). If they are identical, make sure that you put them on very carefully and push them completely in their seat before putting the clamps on. Oh, make sure it runs at the same speed and isn't DDR RAM when you need SDRAM and vice versa, I hope this helps.